Thread: Always wanted a machine and finally found one Need help identifying and more

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Always wanted a machine and finally found one Need help identifying and more

Hey everyone
    When I was a kid, my friends father had a bunch of these machines in his basement that we were never allowed to touch. I remember the sound of the balls clinking and the lights flashing and knew that one day I would get one. Last week, I found a machine at my local thrift for 10$ and threw my money at the clerk and ran home with my new toy. I plugged it in and nothing happened. I realize I have no idea how to actually operate it or get it to light up. Im so happy there's place that I can get some info and that there's a community still supporting these machines.
    Now down to the nitty gritty.
    What machine do I have? After some research I think it's called Fish or Piranha. Other that that I know nothing. Can you all help me identify it?
    Also it seems these are powered by 12v and mosthooltheirs up to converter but it seems mine has a 110v plug attached in the top right corner. I plugged it in and nothing happened. I'd love to get this working and even restore it, repaint and add LEDs. I'd love any info anyone can give me to start. Thanks in advance20210121_125018.jpg20210121_125030.jpg20210121_123435.jpg
    Last edited by mordoria; 01-21-2021 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added pics

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to mordoria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Always wanted a machine and finally found one Need help identifying and mor

you'll find all the help you need on here to get it up and running. most of these don't require power to play as they rely on gravity. power was only used for the couple of lights which were to signify a jackpot and a low ball warning light.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Always wanted a machine and finally found one Need help identifying and mor

the machine looks good and well-kept. how many balls do you have?

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unless there's a transformer dropping that wall power to something less, do not plug that thing in! In the parlors, the lights ran off 8VAC. They'll work perfectly fine off 9VDC. You don't want 120VAC running around behind there!

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ah..the nishijin fish. Stepper on the back shows 24vac. Hope you haven't done to much damage plugging it in.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'd love to get it running but I don't even know which model I have. It came with only 20 balls or so. Ill get more once I figure it out more. Thank for the help and keep it coming. No idea how to even start getting this working.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk. You actually have a machine that is desirable to a lot of collectors and you got a great deal for $10. Your machine will need power (24v as previously mentioned). The fish in the center feature opens it's jaws. The machine looks complete. I would say you should buy 500 balls minimum, probably better to have 1000. You'll need to check your power to make sure you aren't trying to power the center feature with 110v or you'll fry the components. Once you've verified you have the correct voltage, I would dump some balls in it and see what happens. You may need to make a few adjustments to get everything tuned in, but you really can't do anything without some pachinko balls. They are available on eBay. I like the seller PachinkoPagoda, but you're probably OK with anyone selling "new" balls. Don't buy some old rusty or black balls. They will only bring you trouble.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

looks like a great machine.. as stated your going to need a transformer.. im concerned that the fuse has been removed and replaced with a dowel.. I dont see a transformer.. when you plunged it in did it smoke??

there is a wing nut on the left back side and two at the bottom.. undo those and open the back.. take your time as sometimes it gets hung up and hard to open.. they can also be hard to close.. again TAKE YOU TIME.. my 1st rule for Pachinko is never force it.. well except then opening and closing this style of machine.. a little bit of force may be needed..

once open a few more pics pl;ease
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Super jealous of your score. If you get bored of it, I'd happily double your investment.

What a great way to start, & welcome to the addiction. Read lots on here and you'll find everything you need. At their core, pachinko are designed as beautifully simple machines. Mopar said it best - just take your time.

Hope to see you share as you go. Always nice to hear of progress and lessons learned by fresh eyes.

Cheers!
    /Kris

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mordoria View Post
    Hey everyone
    When I was a kid, my friends father had a bunch of these machines in his basement that we were never allowed to touch. I remember the sound of the balls clinking and the lights flashing and knew that one day I would get one. Last week, I found a machine at my local thrift for 10$ and threw my money at the clerk and ran home with my new toy. I plugged it in and nothing happened. I realize I have no idea how to actually operate it or get it to light up. Im so happy there's place that I can get some info and that there's a community still supporting these machines.
    Now down to the nitty gritty.
    What machine do I have? After some research I think it's called Fish or Piranha. Other that that I know nothing. Can you all help me identify it?
    Also it seems these are powered by 12v and mosthooltheirs up to converter but it seems mine has a 110v plug attached in the top right corner. I plugged it in and nothing happened. I'd love to get this working and even restore it, repaint and add LEDs. I'd love any info anyone can give me to start. Thanks in advance20210121_125018.jpg20210121_125030.jpg20210121_123435.jpg

You might have and fried some hard to get Japanese electronic plugging in to 120 vac .

Nothing happen no Smoke ?

Then you luck out . You have a very clean vintage 1970's machine and please let us help you with the troubleshooting.

Before 2002 you were kind of on your own with getting the machine fully operational. Until this site started .

The lights were originally designed for 9 volts but you have one of the Very Special vintage that needs a 24volt a.c. Transformer for the fish feature to work properly.

We have some very talented members here that have restored machines like yours so please take you time and enjoy the fun of getting this machine fully operational.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

14. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57