Thread: Help Identifying Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help Identifying Machine

Good evening everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

I just joined the forum. I've admired pachinko machines since I was younger. My sister had one that seemed to be from around the 80s. It had flashing lights and loud sounds and a cool little digital score (I think) display. She sold it years ago at a garage sale and I've told her ever since that it was a mistake!

Anyway that leads me to my first purchase. I got this at an architectural salvage store for around $120. I may have overpaid but I was eager to actually see another one in person. I couldn't test it because it didn't come with any balls nor does it have any leads coming off of the little power box in the top right. It's cleaning up nice but I'm no electrician. It seems pretty straightforward but any information on it would be extremely helpful and appreciated. It seems to have had a sticker on the back but 99% of it is ripped off, leaving the letters "ohia" at the top right of the sticker. It has some Japanese characters written in the top right of the back side but I know nothing about Japanese. I also have never seen those little white boxes with the floppy leads coming out of them.

Any help in how this works would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to get it up and running!
    Thanks so much!

pachinko-front.jpgfront-characters.jpgmore-front-characters.jpgfront-label.jpgpachinko-rear.jpgmissing-rear-stickers.jpgIMG-20200816-144520.jpg

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to KryOS

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help Identifying Machine

WELCOME!!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

6. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's a single shot machine--you have to load each ball individually, by hand. They seem to be popping up a lot lately. They have a strong following but are not as popular as more modern machines.

The back looks like a Nishijin type A, but other manufacturers may have used the same mechanics. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in I'm sure.

The "ohia" may be Sophia, a name that appears on Nishijin machines. Just guesswork...

The back looks complete, but it is hard to tell from the size of the picture.

Get some pachinko balls and try it! Check ebay and Amazon. Buy the bulk package, not the ridiculous listings of 10 balls for 40 dollars...you can run one of these with a few hundred balls.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

looks to be complete.. i would recommend at least 500 balls.. it will operate with a few hundred but getting extra will increase game play.. it will hold 1000 but for a model "A" single shot that is probably overkill..

post a few pics of the back.. top, bottom, etc so we can see more detail..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the replies! Let me work on getting more pictures. From my research it's a Nishijin Model A Single shot I believe.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to KryOS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to KryOS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On these pictures there is a metal rod on the left side of the machine that is affected by the "low balls" weight on the top tray. It doesn't really freely move up and down which it seems like it is supposed to to trigger the "low ball" light. It is not attached to anything at the bottom of that rod it kinda just floats there. I am unsure if that is supposed to just be hanging or if it is supposed to be able to smoothly move up and down. I debated adding some weight to it somehow so it moves downward when the low ball weight isn't pulling it up but I don't want to upset the balance of the weights.