Thread: oh no my working vintage pachinko order arrived damaged

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default oh no my working vintage pachinko order arrived damaged

insufficient packing. i feel for the seller - but i really feel for me because the case is going to be one long slog. trying to decide if i want to take this on or send back...

opinions?
    IMG_5519.JPGIMG_5520.JPGIMG_5526.JPG

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: oh no my working vintage pachinko order arrived damaged

bummer

if it were mine i would send it back..

sorry to see that
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hope you did not pay too much for it. How does the back of the machine look ?
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The glass and even the bottom piece of the frame could be swapped out easily, but the damage to the door would be very difficult to repair. If it was my machine I would send it back unless you really love the theme and are willing to wait to buy another machine that you could use for parts.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry to see the condition of your new purchase. I'd send it back and look elsewhere.
    I never ship my machines with glass. Always ship them with plexiglass. If my customer wants glass, they can get a piece cut after the machine arrives. One of the nice things about buying from a professional restorer (rather than an untested machine on eBay) is that we ship machines all the time. I use special double walled cardboard boxes and a ton of bubble wrap and other types of packaging.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just received a machine that was shipped from Oregon to Indiana. It was shipped via UPS; I spoke to the store manager prior to him packaging it up. He packed it impeccably, I couldn’t have be happier.....arrived perfectly intact. Cost an arm and a leg, but worth it.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Bigdog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

got a refund and the seller allowed me to keep it. i'm not a pro-restorer, so it has been sitting here. tried to find a new case but no luck.
    that said, i bought a second machine from the same seller and the requested-by-me extra safe packing cost nearly as much as the machine.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are a number of things to consider when shipping a pachinko machine. I use a 36” x 24” x 12” double walled cardboard box. This allows plenty of room for bubble wrap and or foam/packing peanuts. If you use a much bigger box, there will be a size penalty. Especially if you use USPS. I used to use them, but I ran into size restrictions too often. I now use FedEx and have no problems. Most machines packed weigh about 40-45 lbs. As long as you stay under 50 lbs. there is no upcharge for weight.
    Example:Rochester,NY to Boston. $45 using my box. $247 using a 36x24x24 box
    Stay away from places that offer packing services unless there is no other way. They charge way too much!

11. The following user says "Thanks" to MagicDan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    The glass and even the bottom piece of the frame could be swapped out easily, but the damage to the door would be very difficult to repair. If it was my machine I would send it back unless you really love the theme and are willing to wait to buy another machine that you could use for parts.
    I was gonna say almost exactly that.
    Refund and keep is very acceptable. Can't tell just how bad the outer frame is, but there is a seller with 6 frames for sale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pachinko-Machine-Wooden-Frame-Multiple-Options/114217412417?hash=item1a97e36741:g:-8cAAOSwMPxeu23Z
    I couldn't tell the make of your machine. And, does it actually say "pin ball" on the front?
    As far as the door...maybe steam the damaged corner to soften the wood, then force a lot of wood glue into the crushed area. Then clamp the corner between 2 pieces of wood to squish it flat. Using wax paper between the machine and boards, so you don't glue it all together. Not sure if it would work, but worth a try.

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDan View Post
    There are a number of things to consider when shipping a pachinko machine. I use a 36” x 24” x 12” double walled cardboard box. This allows plenty of room for bubble wrap and or foam/packing peanuts. If you use a much bigger box, there will be a size penalty. Especially if you use USPS. I used to use them, but I ran into size restrictions too often. I now use FedEx and have no problems. Most machines packed weigh about 40-45 lbs. As long as you stay under 50 lbs. there is no upcharge for weight.
    Example:Rochester,NY to Boston. $45 using my box. $247 using a 36x24x24 box
    Stay away from places that offer packing services unless there is no other way. They charge way too much!
    They absolutely have a size limit. If you go over by even one inch...it will cost nearly double! If you ask, they will tell you the size limit.
    I agree they charge TOO MUCH! However, some people may be unable or unwilling to pack their own. If they can accept the price (providing the packers stay under their own size limit), then at least any damage will be on the shipper.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it's a heiwa. i went to the usual online suspect but so far no go.
    i may take a chance and put some bondo on it with some strategically placed brass corner protectors...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlujan View Post
    it's a heiwa. i went to the usual online suspect but so far no go.
    i may take a chance and put some bondo on it with some strategically placed brass corner protectors...
    I’ve fixed delaminated plywood like that (water damage) by filling the cracks with wood glue and clamping it back in place.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDan View Post
    my local place will pack and ship a machine west coast to east cost for about 150.00.. if you have a good rapport with the shop they can be your best friend..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances