Thread: Vintage Sankyo - Thinking '75-ish

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage Sankyo - Thinking '75-ish

Hello all.

I've lurked on and off over years. First post.

I picked up this machine years ago, but it didn't have any of the balls and I tucked it away in the corner. Its now moved twice with me, and I was cleaning the garage the other day and decided to take another peek at it.

Based on the expiration sticker (51-9), I'm thinking its a 1975 model. I tried looking for the model from the list referenced here (https://www.sankyo-fever.jp/history/...?tag=1966#1979), but the 1975 models don't have any pictures and I'm not sure how well Google Translate handled the descriptions. Between the translated descriptions and play field I have in front of me, they don't seem to match.

Other than being very dusty and in need of a deep clean, it looks pretty intact. The play field doesn't show much wear and the mechanics in the back seem to be intact with the exception of the linkage for the payoff bar (circled in yellow) ??? Any insights?

Thanks in advance.
    IMG_20200719_135618813a.jpgIMG_20200719_135440740_LIa.jpgIMG_20200719_135135643a.jpg

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to aiyou

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vintage Sankyo - Thinking '75-ish

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

4. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

can you provide a better pic of the area in yellow..

based on the pics it look like a mostly complete machine.. hopefully you should be able to add balls and play

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you both for the welcome.

As requested, here is a close-up of the broken part. Without knowing the terminology of the various parts yet, is this something I could source for a replacement, or should I just try winging it with a 3d printed solution or perhaps even glue/epoxy?

IMG_20200719_135446667_LIa.jpg

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to aiyou

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it looks like the over flow shut off lever is broken..

vintage machines have a mech that will push the ball load lever over so the shooter can not inter act with it.. (it would be like the shooter is at full pull)

if the player is winning allot the top tray fills once it is full balls are redirected to the bottom tray.. if the bottom tray fills up into the machine there is a plunger inside the over flow tube.. that plunger will eventually push the ball load lever over and keep the machine from loading balls to the shooter.. all the play had to do is remove balls from the lower tray and the plunger will swing back allowing the shooter to work..

this broken part is kinda common and really not a big deal to be broken cause most home machines don't have enough balls or get played enough for the lower tray to get backed up inside a machine..

hope that makes sense

if not see the vid below at 3:18 mins (about middle of the video)

https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/sho...-Model-B-Video
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    it looks like the over flow shut off lever is broken..

vintage machines have a mech that will push the ball load lever over so the shooter can not inter act with it.. (it would be like the shooter is at full pull)

if the player is winning allot the top tray fills once it is full balls are redirected to the bottom tray.. if the bottom tray fills up into the machine there is a plunger inside the over flow tube.. that plunger will eventually push the ball load lever over and keep the machine from loading balls to the shooter.. all the play had to do is remove balls from the lower tray and the plunger will swing back allowing the shooter to work..

this broken part is kinda common and really not a big deal to be broken cause most home machines don't have enough balls or get played enough for the lower tray to get backed up inside a machine..

hope that makes sense

if not see the vid below at 3:18 mins (about middle of the video)

https://www.pachitalk.com/forums/sho...-Model-B-Video
    Interesting!

Glad to know that its not a fatal condition. Guess I just need to get the courage to clean it up and give it some use!

Thanks you

12. The following user says "Thanks" to aiyou

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Interesting!

Thank you very much for the explanation and the video link. That helped.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to aiyou

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So, I found that I'm missing at least one part.

From the pictures originally posted, of the back of the machine, there is a little white "hockey stick" hanging down from the first ball track. Based on a restoration video and recent eBay listing, it seemsnto be missing a counterweight unit.

Is there any place I can source a replacement? And if I can find one, how do I determine the applicable balance point?

Thanks again

What happens if I cannot find this piece?

Also,

16. The following user says "Thanks" to aiyou

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I understand you correctly, those hockey sticks lock out the machine from paying jackpots if the ball supply gets too low.

In the bottom of the ball tracks are flaps that move the hockey sticks. Balls present will lift the sticks allowing the jackpot linkage to rise, activating a payout. With no balls in the track in question, the sticks drop, blocking the jackpot mechanism. You can move these by hand to see what I'm trying to explain.

Check ebay for pachinko parts. You could also make one using the existing hockey stick as a template.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by aiyou View Post
    So, I found that I'm missing at least one part.

From the pictures originally posted, of the back of the machine, there is a little white "hockey stick" hanging down from the first ball track. Based on a restoration video and recent eBay listing, it seemsnto be missing a counterweight unit.

Is there any place I can source a replacement? And if I can find one, how do I determine the applicable balance point?

Thanks again

What happens if I cannot find this piece?

Also,
    pic of missing part.. please

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry for the delayed response - picture attached.

Having stared at this a bit more, I'm thinking that this would trigger the low balls/out of balls light when the available balls in this tray progress past the white lever piece and the missing weight would release pressure on the switch, triggering the light.

Given that, its probably not a showstopper, but is there a source where I can find a replacement, or perhaps specs on making my own? I've tried eBay already and didn't find anything that looked like it would be a match.
    IMG_20200728_190702753_LIa.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by aiyou View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response - picture attached.

Having stared at this a bit more, I'm thinking that this would trigger the low balls/out of balls light when the available balls in this tray progress past the white lever piece and the missing weight would release pressure on the switch, triggering the light.

Given that, its probably not a showstopper, but is there a source where I can find a replacement, or perhaps specs on making my own? I've tried eBay already and didn't find anything that looked like it would be a match.
    IMG_20200728_190702753_LIa.jpg
    i have used a spring to lift it up.. it needs to be a soft spring..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are correct about the broken/missing piece triggering the low/out of balls switch/light. You can possibly make a linkage out of stiff wire that can duplicate its function. It doesn't necessarily have to be an exact duplicate physically.

The hockey sticks I spoke of in my previous reply are further down the ball track.

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hope its OK to continue this same thread - a few more questions pertaining to the jackpot chamber.

After disassembly and cleaning, I've noticed a piece on the back of the jackpot chamber that pivots on a brass pin. However, this piece appears to be damaged.

a> What does this piece do?
    b> Can the machine function with this in its current state?
    c> If its required, anyone with a functional spare they would be willing to sell or a 3D printed equivalent? I've browsed eBay, but not seeing a Sankyo equivalent currently listed.
    d> Looks like I'm also missing an auxiliary cover for the jackpot chamber. Thinking its not critical, but any confirmation on that assumption would be appreciated.

IMG_20200812_134944341a.jpgIMG_20200719_135440740a.jpg

Thanks the the responses so far.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You don't need the cover.

Looks like the crescent-shaped, metal piece is gone. It holds the balls back from being dumped into the payout chute, until the jackpot is activated. You will need that.

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is a pic I found online. No idea what brand it is, but it is similar to yours. You can at least get the idea of what is missing.

pachi_jackpot_x.jpg

28. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for providing that additional image. It looks like I'm missing both the crescent metal piece as indicated, plus a portion of the unit above thebpivot point that would transfer the motion of the actuator arm to this unit to release the payout.

Guess I'll need to keep an eye out for parts on eBay, or perhaps another similarly aged machine with a complete unit that I could then use to model a 3D printed solution.

Bummer.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Since pachinko is addictive, you will almost certainly be acquiring additional machines. You may find that one brand's parts will function in another's machine. Or you can take a flyer and buy a jackpot mech from another brand and see if you can cobble the components together. The jackpot mechanisms definitely turn up on ebay.

31. The following user says "Thanks" to machgo