Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sophia machine problem

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Sophia machine problem

Just purchased an older sophia machine and I am having a problem with ball supply to the launcher. The balls keep coming out of the supply and are not metered one at a time-they just keep coming out and jam. Can some one send me a picture of a similar setup so that I can see what is wrong or missing. There is a small door that the balls pass through but there is no mechanism to stop the door before a ball is fired. I have included 2 photos. Thanks in advance for any help.
    IMG_0595 (1).jpgIMG_0597.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sophia machine problem

The pictures were right side up when I first posted them. The second one is from the back of the front door. The little flapper door does not hold the balls back when shooting the previous ball-any photos of the same model would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i have not had the privilege of owning a machine modified like that..

with the door open will balls fall threw??

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

With the door open, the balls will fall through until the tray is empty. With the door closed the balls fall through until they jam up the launcher. There is something missing to meter the balls one at a time.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice machine from a small window in time! That machine was originally manufactured when single shots were "legally", the norm. When the law was lifted, and multiple shots were allowed...there wasn't enough multi shots made yet.
    For a period of 1 year (maybe 2 years?) single shot machines were factory converted to multi shot machines.These machines are often called Single Ball Conversions...or SBC's.
    These are some of my favorite types of machine! Limited production...and factory modified. If it is one of the models/brands that was less produced (or less imported), then it rarely seen BONUS POINTS!Yours checks ALL the boxes! However, when a problem exists...then you have fewer, if any examples to look to for help!
    That is where I fear you may be. My first thought was "WOW! What an unusual SBC...I've never seen one like that before!" Then I read that it was malfunctioning. That can always be tricky. Something should block balls...then be moved by motion from the lever. Fortunately, these look like parts that could be used on another brand of machine. If I notice anything...I will post it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OOPS! I almost forgot...Welcome to PachiTalk!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

AS balls enter the front tray panel...the tray they roll on should "teeter" under the weight of just a single ball. This should make the small metal tab hold the ball back. Teetering it to lift the ball over the tab should release another ball to be blocked by the tab.
    That is what I imagine when I look at the pics of your machine. Very nice looking machine! Also has the balls released from top to bottom through ball paths on the outside of the tray. These are referred to as "front overflow" machines.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 05-12-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachiwall: Thanks for the reply and information. I will post another picture with arrows and numbers and I will remove the plastic shield also. I do not see a tab to hold the ball-the only tab is at the metal door. The balls would have to be held at the door or at the lever that teeters back and forth with the ball. I do not see anything missing or a place wherte something could be missing but this is all part of the fun searching. I will post later tonight. Again thanks for the informative reply.
    Bill

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here is another picture with parts identified with letters and arrows. Balls enter from the tray at "A" and are deposited at "B". With the machine door open the balls sometimes move to door/flapper "D" and are immediately placed at the launcher. When the machine door is closed, lever"C" is pushed up and the balls always pass from A to B to D and jam. With the door open, the balls sometimes stop at B-the pressure from lever C holds them back. Flapper/door D was originally bent in and it appears that it is broken at the very end. For this to work properly the balls would have to be stopped at B or D. I also included a picture of flapper D-it has 2 parts that pivot on the post but I am not sure what the little piece does or if there is a correct way to attach it. Any help is appreciated.
    BillIMG_0602 A.jpgIMG_0603.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

On my previous post please disregard the thumbnail photo-it is labeled incorrectly. Look at the photos in the post. I could not figure out how to delete a photo-no edit button shows.
    Bill

Thanks
    Thanks Received

what does "C" hit when the shooter door is closed??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Can you post photos of the machine front with the Door open (To see the Flipper mechanism) and photos of the back of the machine . With possibly a close up photo of the back of the flipper mechanism .

Welcome to the Addiction !!
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It hits just below the rail. There is no room for movement when the door is closed. I think it functions as an on/off switch. When the door to the machine is open it stops the balls from falling out all over the floor. When the door is closed it allows the balls to tip the "seesaw" mechanism and exit to the launcher.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Why is their a Green wire lever in the back of the machine ? It looks like it has nothing to do with the front ball feed problem . Part D on the mech of the front tray might need some tweaking by you if you look at the ball path on the playfield that part D ( The ball door "D" is meant to stop the balls so only One at a time is ready to be "Flipped" onto the Playfield .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good catch-the plastic stud on the lever piece was partially broken and I do not think that a C ring would fit to hold the rod. The wire seems to work but we will see. I just received a bag of balls yesterday, so I am sure I will find other issues. As to door D. If it stops the ball how do you "activate it" to release the ball. There are no levers or parts in the area to do this as far as I can see.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like you have to do "Trial and Error" with gently bending part D and then check how the flow is . Like one of our members stated that this type of machine modifications was done as a in-between to the modern vintage (Gravity Feed) pachinko machines .

When one ball gets Flipped up into the playfield part D should ,when properly adjusted let another ball in the chute to flip onto the playfield and stop the other balls until it leaves the shooting area .
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 05-13-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

i'ii try some today but I don't see how if the door stops the ball-what makes it then release the ball. Thanks for your help and interest.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

TTC57, I think you may be correct. The door for the ball should release one ball and then hold back the next. This flapper or door has a tapered front that is worn. When I pull the lever the ball in the chute moves slightly to the rear and the ball door no longer touches or is held back by the chute ball, therefore releasing the next ball. I shimmed the chute with two small pieces on plastic. One stops the ball from moving sideways so the door doesn't move and stays in contact with the ball. The other shim stops the ball from moving too far back in the chute and therefore the door does not release the next ball until the chute ball is fired in to the playing field. Working OK so far but time will tell. I don't want to make a new door unless I can actually see an intact example. Well on to the next problem and also construction of a case.

20. The following user says "Thanks" to Bill

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Like has been written about your machine is that We as Members here and I for certain haven't seen your type of modified machine (I've been working with Pachinko Machine s since 1977 ).

A good Jewelers Tool Set (This would be the Ultimate Set )

https://www.amazon.com/jewelers-hand...ps2c229sr=8-11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast