Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: From Japan shipping update

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default From Japan shipping update

Due to COVID-19, shipping options for products purchased via From Japan have limited shipping options (at least to the US). I purchased a vintage machine and a book. Currently, only FedEx Intl Priority and DHL are available for shipping pachinko sized packages. I usually use FedEx Economy which is quite a bit less expensive than the Priority option. If I ship the book on its own, JP Post Surface is an option.

For reference, my last vintage machine a few months ago was 26,000 yen shipping (Economy) versus this vintage machine at 43,000 yen (Priority). Size and weight are comparable.
    Last edited by Spyder138; 05-06-2020 at 03:02 AM.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: From Japan shipping update

ouch.
    I just got a box from them EMS. But not a machine so a lot smaller and lighter
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder138 View Post
    Due to COVID-19, shipping options for products purchased via From Japan have limited shipping options (at least to the US). I purchased a vintage machine and a book. Currently, only FedEx Intl Priority and DHL are available for shipping pachinko sized packages. I usually use FedEx Economy which is quite a bit less expensive than the Priority option. If I ship the book on its own, JP Post Surface is an option.

For reference, my last vintage machine a few months ago was 26,000 yen shipping (Economy) versus this vintage machine at 43,000 yen (Priority). Size and weight are comparable.
    Thanks for the info, but I'm dying to know which one you bought
    WANTED: 10¥ candystore games, pre-1950s Japanese machines, スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1948 Bally Heavy Hitter, Pickwick-style (~1905)
    willing to ship from anywhere.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the heads up; I’ve got a bunch of flags, seat covers, posters, guidebooks and other pachinko paraphernalia ready to be shipped (small stuff); it was definitely giving me a considerably cheaper FedEx economy option last week when I checked now the “cheapest” option is JP Post (2-3 months)

I’m gonna wait out the maximum 45 day storage period in hopes of saving some cash.

Hopefully by later this summer things will resume to normal shipping options. Especially since I recently bought 2 cells that haven’t arrived at FromJapan warehouse yet.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cait001 View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I'm dying to know which one you bought
    I bought the 1952 repeat shooter machine. These don't come up very often. I wasn't counting on spending so much to get it to the US. I am going to wait out the 45 day hold allowed by From Japan to see if I can get a lower cost. If not, I probably over spent. I also picked up a book on Kyoraku history.

Here's the link to the machine. On my phone so I can't post a photo. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e428157285

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi All,

Can you offer any tips or suggestions for links and agents to look to use etc.

I have been looking at Zenmarkets / YJA for Keys, Balls and hopefully another machine.

I did not expect to see such high postage costs if you buy say through Zenmarkets and also have to estimate what the cost could be for shipping and then hope the machine is looked after for shipping.

Looking at Pachinko machines, these are listed at quite a wide price range difference, but as I am new to this apart from age and type of machine theme I would not really know the realistic price points, and also then have consider the chances of the machine making it to the UK in my case all in one piece.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Upcycle View Post
    Hi All,

Can you offer any tips or suggestions for links and agents to look to use etc.

I have been looking at Zenmarkets / YJA for Keys, Balls and hopefully another machine.

I did not expect to see such high postage costs if you buy say through Zenmarkets and also have to estimate what the cost could be for shipping and then hope the machine is looked after for shipping.

Looking at Pachinko machines, these are listed at quite a wide price range difference, but as I am new to this apart from age and type of machine theme I would not really know the realistic price points, and also then have consider the chances of the machine making it to the UK in my case all in one piece.
    Check out the quick and dirty guide to YJA biding via FromJapan it explains the buying process pretty well. That said; I you are looking to save money shipping a pachinko now is pretty much the worst time to do so in years due to somewhat limited shipping options. Damn you Covid-19!!

Fed ex economy shipping option is no longer available on FromJapan; so have to pay up for priority; or use DHL (neither are cheap options). For a newer heavy 100+ Lb machine it will easily be over $500 (to the US, not sure how much they charge for UK).

FromJapan does pack pachinkos well for shipping; however other vendors such as Taiwanese pachinko/pachislo vendor JT-Comatz (Alibaba.com ) are even better a packing well and their shipping prices are probably more economical based on my previous experiences (Sara can provide a shipping quote).

I’d say average cost including price of the machine, (a cheaper one; 10,000 yen range) and shipping/packing costs to import to US is around $550-750 in normal times. (Add an extra $100-150 or so for priority Fed ex since we are not in normal times.) Your results may vary.

It’s all a big gamble; but often times it’s the only way to get what you want.

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you for your comments, and information provided.

Agree now is not the best time for looking at picking up a machine.

Just wanted to be clear on the options available and typical cost involved.

The biggest shock for me was the costs of shipping from Japan.

At the moment I have been tying to pick up a key for my Pink Panther machine and can find keys at a realistic price range say under $15, but when you add on shipping from Japan or even if you can find one in the USA ($34+) the total cost goes a bit OTT for just a key.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I was watching the keys too. Cheapest one on auction is ¥400 BIN then add FJ ¥300 fee ¥360 internal shipping. A £3 key is now £9. Plus international shipping. I though about the set on 10 for ¥2000. Then try to sell the rest on at a sensible price. It doesn't help that FJ have stopped you really decreasing the listed cost price. So we in the UK get hit with a 20% vat bill on top.
    Ian #UKPachinko

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What I find strange is that the keys I have been looking at, some say made in Japan and others say made in China.

The post costs from China I have found to be very good, the only problem is I have had no luck in finding a source from China which I thought would have been very easy.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Of course. You could just remove the cylinder and de-pin it for now.. Then you can opening it with anything that fits in the hole
    Ian #UKPachinko

19. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, and a good idea as a stop gap for now.

One other idea I had for a project was looking at getting a key scanned and 3D printed.

I have access to a 3D printer so would just need a scan file to work with and print in a hard plastic which should work as the key once inserted could be left in and would then just be used as needed. A better option would be to get the key 3D metal printed so almost as good as a real key.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Two weeks later and still no economy shipping. I will keep an eye on the situation.

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had to bite the bullet and have one of the machines shipped Priority. The worst part is that I pay for Priority and the actual shipping time is going to be longer than it would take an Economy shipment when not in the middle of a pandemic. I believe pick ups and departing flights are only on certain days of the week. Well, there could be worse things.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Kurumi was saying he got his machine in under 24 hours from them collecting it. JP-USA
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually, not too bad. Paid on the 7th and it arrived on the 12th. Now I am hoping that Economy shipping is available before time runs out on the other two machines they are holding. I think I have a pachinko problem.

The Kyoraku book I purchased is beautiful. I will try to take a few photos in case anyone is interested in purchasing one of their own.

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like economy FedEx is restored to Europe and other regions; but not the US.

I’m anxiously waiting on my charge 2 for a couple cells; I know it’s not going to be cheap compared to previous orders! We’ll see which is cheaper for 2 cells; FedEx priority or DHL...

28. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Heads up, since Japan Post no longer shipping outside Japan, coronavirus, ect ect. It’s taking From Japan staff a longer time to pack orders/consolidate for shipping. I gave my shipping instructions over week ago and it’s stuck in the “packing” stage awaiting measurement for shipping quotes since it’s “oversized/fragile”. They replied it might be a while:

“Regarding your inquiry, we are very sorry for the delay, however our
    warehouse are currently receiving a large number of returned shipments
    and as such it might take some time before our staff can finish processing
    your items for packing as per your instruction. We thank you very much
    for your patience and understanding.”
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 06-17-2020 at 05:13 PM.

30. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I should point out that this is USA only. I had a box shipped by Japan Post 2 weeks ago to the UK. Containing a ball lifter, a Densha de Go controller and some model train stuff. so Not a small box, but certainly smaller than a machine.
    Ian #UKPachinko

32. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast