Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Niche Collections

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Niche Collections

Quote Originally Posted by cait001 View Post
    Hellooooo fellow Ontariate! You are in a good location, have you been to the Chicagoland show? Also many in Pennsylvania that would have these.
    I think you kind of prove a point I've been trying to make in other conversations online. Pricing for things is regional and conditional. I'm familiar with both the Chicago and Pennsylvania shows you're talking about as I've been involved with pinball for quite some time.
    Like you, I'm prepared to make a 10 hour drive (could go on at length about epic pinball runs I've made) to pick up something that isn't available in my region. Having said that, I add the cost of going to get the game into my total price when I think about reselling.

Sure, someone else could go to Chicago and hope the exact same thing is still available for only $200. But I'm going to list it locally on Kijiji for $400, knowing that if someone found the same thing available in the US, they'd be on the hook for transport expenses as well as the risk of international shipping.

Supply and demand are regional things that affect prices in different areas. Just because you're aware of an area where someone has something for sale cheaper than you can get it locally, doesn't mean that should be the price everywhere. Something available in Michigan for $350, where the economy is depressed and there are fewer collectors could easily fetch double that in California, where there are still collectors willing to pay extra for local convenience.

2. The following user says "Thanks" to UncleToyBox

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I understand everything you're saying, I've been at this a long time too, but also this is a booze barometer, not a pinball machine or even a pachinko machine. They'll cost you like $50 to ship
    WANTED: 10¥ games, pre-1950s machines, スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Pickwick-style (~1905)
    if you have any of these in North America, let's talk.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Out of curiosity, I checked completed listings on eBay for price ranges. I hadn't realized Booze Barometers are so common. They're new to me.
    Your call on $50 shipping is spot on. What blows my mind is the range of prices I see within just a few days of each other. Even on the low end, they're selling for over $400 now. There have been more since these two but always over $500.
    If you've got a line on them for $200, seems like an easy flip to make a few hundred in my books.
    BoozeBarometer.jpg

5. The following user says "Thanks" to UncleToyBox

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thing is, most people know it as "Booz barometer" and so those ones will sell for more. If you just want one of these machines, but don't care about the specific NAME, they're way cheaper. Especially if you don't want one with really nice artwork.
    Just like pachinkos, really: If you're desperate for a name someone knows, like Jurassic Park or Biohazard or Star Wars, you're gonna have to pay up. But if you just want a machine that plays the same way and doesn't have the name, cheaper.
    WANTED: 10¥ games, pre-1950s machines, スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Pickwick-style (~1905)

7. The following user says "Thanks" to cait001

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by cait001 View Post
    Hellooooo fellow Ontariate! You are in a good location, have you been to the Chicagoland show? Also many in Pennsylvania that would have these.
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but would you be able to tell me which show in Chicago are you speaking of? Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The one I know is coming up in April.
    https://www.chicagolandshow.com/

It's a really cool show to attend.
    There are additional pinball specific shows I go to in Chicago as well (Pin Expo is one of the best for pinheads).
    With the area having been the source of over 90% of all pinball machines ever made, along with a variety of slot machines and jukeboxes, it's one of the best regions to find cool rarities at a good price.

10. The following user says "Thanks" to UncleToyBox

Thanks
    Thanks Received

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to cait001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2