Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Babel Pachislo won't start

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Babel Pachislo won't start

I just purchased a pachislo babel machine that doesn't start up. When it was sold by TDC it was modified not to except tokens by removing the coin mechanisms and a ELECO module was plugged into CN8 of the input card on the front door. When I power it up the light flashes below the coin slot and the credit display = 0. I tried a full reset a number of times to no advail. Am able to change the odds and it saves ok. If I remove the module CN8 there is a CJ alarm and all the lights come on and the music plays. Plug it back in and do a full reset and the alarm clears and it ends up at the same state as before. Every button that I press or switch thrown light a separate led on the CPU card. When I purchased it I noticed the module was not plugged in and the only place it could go was in CN8 so I assumed it would be an easy fix. Boy was I wrong.

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Babel Pachislo won't start

WELCOME!!!

I'm not much help, but if you post some pics maybe someone will notice something amiss!!

How to Post Pictures

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Front of machine shows state after power up. Inside of front door has ELECO module plugged into CN8 and the other 2 wire cable not connected. Inside of box shows it powered up and idle.
    I suspect the 2 wire connector should be connected to the bet button since it has a sticker beside it "press for credit". I disconnected CN3 the 2 wire connector from the bet button and plugged it into the 2 wire connector from the ELECO module but it didn't do anything.
    I highly suspect the ELECO module is my problem but when I open it it has another connector going to a small pc board incased with black epoxy. On line I was able to find another picture of a different model machine with the same module but with 2 slightly different cables coming from it. I suspect the modules are all the same but the cables out of it are different on other machines.
    If someone had the pin out definitions for CN8 it would be a good starting point since I'm not sure how it's wired into the coin mechanisms. If someone knew how to trick the machine into thinking tokens were deposited that would be great. That would prove the module is at fault and the rest of the machine is ok.
    I was thinking to add the coin mechanisms back if possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Howitzer50

Thanks
    Thanks Received

what is inside the module maybe something burned out ?

Gibisans - Japan West compirate's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

what does cn7 go to? It looks empty

人生は恐れなければ、とても素晴らしいものなんだよ。
    人生に必要なもの。それは勇気と想像力、そして少しのお金だ。

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by compirate View Post
    what does cn7 go to? It looks empty

Look like connector got broken off ?

8. The following user says "Thanks" to fastpcuser

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I opened the module and carefully removed the black epoxy that encased the module. Not much inside. Just a 8 pin chip with no writing bit it had an hairline crack on the back of it. Since I don't know why the module was unplugged and since the 9 pin plug couldn't plug in completely, I can only presume it fell of and was plugged in backwards which would blow the unknown chip. I assume that it was a dual OP amp. There is a grey wire going to it from the hacked off cable that went to the coin hopper which I assume was to increment the credits everytime it hit a jackpot. I also assume the 2 pin connector went to the bet button to also increment the credits. One would only press the max bet button to play. I was able to locate my intergalactic circuit breadboard and will try a few experiments in a few days. I suspect I have another issue with the machine which caused someone play with the module, thinking that was the issue, and blew the module. My problem is that I don't have an oscilliscop any more and it is very difficult to fault locate. There is a site dedicated to pinball machines that have all the schematics and service manuals posted which I found to be a fantastic aid to trouble shooting and repair but nota on pachislo machines.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

CN7 is not required. It went to the the credit/payout button below the coin slot. It was set for credit mode. I toggled it back and forth and it didn't make any difference. My next step is to trace all the leads from CN8 to see if they terminate on chips on the card or go to the processor card. If it terminates on the input/output card most likely the issue is there. The module is also bad. I have a good idea how the module works so hopefully I can register credits by faking it, but previously I wasn't able to. After some more research and a better idea how it's supposed to work I am feeling more confident but having failed that I will have to further trouble shoot the machine. In a perfect world I would have spare cards, circuit diagrams and test equipment but I don't. Just grey cells and a digital multimeter that was intended for electrical work, not printed circuit work. When I retired from engineering years ago I got rid of all my test gear thinking I'd never use it again. Too bad, so sad.

11. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Howitzer50

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Status update. No further getting the machine running. Traced the pins on CN8 and the all go to the ribbon connector to the processor card. I figured that pins 1 & 9 are for the coin return solenoid. 4, 5 & 8 go to the coin jamb photocell. What I need is for someone to identify the circuit on the coin mec. circled in the attached picture. Pink wire is 5 volts, black is ground and the green and white are the coin sense leads. I tried pulsing both leads, together, separately, and both a fraction of a second apart. All I get are either CE or Er but no credits. Any help would be appreciated since I don't have a coin mech to look at only a picture from ebay. Even if you have a similar coin mech that you can take a more detailed picture of would be great.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to Howitzer50

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have same coin mechanism on one of my machines, I can check in the morning as it is 2:06 am right now

Looking at you pictures inside I have exactly same machine, well different graphics but same electronics.
    Last edited by fastpcuser; 04-17-2020 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The following user says "Thanks" to fastpcuser

Thanks
    Thanks Received

19. The following user says "Thanks" to fastpcuser

Thanks
    Thanks Received

21. The following user says "Thanks" to fastpcuser

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like it is a KR1142-AZ optical reflex sensor. 2 optical sensors side by side. When a token passes across it the 2 sense leads go low. Previously I tried to emulate it by resistive grounds and straight grounds but all I can get are coin errors. It might be an issue with timing. Since the sensors are close together one sensor should operate first, then while that one is on the next one should go on then the 1st should go off, followed by the 2nd. I will try that scenario later.
    The more I look at my mystery module chip the more I suspect it is an 12F629 micro controller programmable chip which means if I replace the fryed chip I don't have the program to put on it and will have to come up with something else to generate credits. With all the coin mech components missing it would cost double what the machine is worth to put it back in.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks fastpcuser. I have located the Optical sensor online from a parts website in China and attached the picture of the other side. The last image you posted showing the coin mec in machine. When a coin is deposited, can you see it travel across the mec or is it hidden inside from view? I'm trying to figure if the coin actually passes by the optical sensor or activates the plastic finger that appears to be sticking out.

The good thing I found is that the pachislo machine will run if I can fix the coin credit issue. I took the 2 coin sense leads to a integrated circuit breadboard. I ran the 2 leads side buy side about 1/8" apart and quickly run a ground across them and was able to get 1 credit. I pulled the lever down to spin the reels and was able to stop the 3 reels by pressing the stop buttons and get a free game, and pull again.

I was only able to do this 3 times and the other 30 times I got either a CE or Cr and had to reset the machine every time to clear the error.

AutoSlot posted an Credit-Add mechanism (AS-02C) back in 2008 that should work with my machine so I tried to contact them. I'm not sure that they are in business anymore because their website seems to be down or the website name was changed. So far no response.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Howitzer50

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If I can't get an proper fix to this I may have to order the optical sensor and make a coin shoot to put it in with the coins falling into the coin tray below. Not too elegant but it gets the machine running until I can find a credit add circuit. Like I mentioned previously, all the coin mech and guides are missing. Even if I purchased the correct coin mech I would still have to make the mounting hardware to hold it in the correct position which could be harder than making a basic coin mech. Any coin that can fit into the coin opening, probably the size of a quarter should work.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I ordered the dual optical sensor that my Babel uses. Will take a few weeks to come from China. Will keep you posted with the outcome. If successful I'll probably make a circuit to increment the credits by 10 everytime a quarter is inserted. Probably some sort of microprocessor. It will also accomidate coin speedloading since it takes a few seconds to register 10 credits. The original circuit had a lead going to the coin hopper cable that was hacked off. Not sure if that was a sense lead or a control lead. During a jackpot with the credits at 50, it should eject coins and may actually want to count them on exit to verify the correct payout. I know there are hopper sensors such as hopper empty and hopper jam. For what I can tell without actually seeing one is that it has a spinning disk that coins fall into which has a stepper motor rotating it and quite conservatively, coins might not fall into the rotating disk holes, short changing the payout so some sort of feedback is required to keep the count accurate.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I finally received the photo electric cell from China after 1 2 months shipping. What an disappointment! The 4 pin connector on it was very tiny and I had nothing that small so on to plan B.
    I integrated an Arduino UNO with the pachislo to replace the blown coinless module. I constructed a crude coin mechanism with a photo interrupter so when a coin is deposited it pulses the 2 coin sense leads for a coin credit from 1 to 50 credits. That works 100%. 50 credits in less than 10 seconds.
    The problem that I am having now is a coin hopper error. I expected that since the old coinless module had 1 wire spliced into the hopper cable that was hacked off. The old circuit probably pulses that wire continuously to prevent the HE alarm. All the wires are white so very difficult to figure out what the leads were used for. My assumption that the coin hopper motor had 24 volts applied and it spun until the correct number of coins were ejected. A photo interrupter sent pulses to the processor card which kept the motor running until it reached the jackpot amount.

My goal is to intergrate an Arduino NANO, powered by the 5v pachislo power. When a quarter is deposited, it gives 5 credits, and keeps the quarter. When a jackpot is reached and the credits are above 50, it increments jackpot credits on a small LCD display in or outside the case. There will be a jackpot credit button to transfer 50 credits into the pachislo when needed for further gameplay.

Does anyone have any information on a coin hopper? Wiring diagram or even pictures showing the wiring would be perfect. A Babble or any other one made by Eleco or similar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast