Thread: First Time Pachinko Owner - 70s Sankyo Full Restoration Thread

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Arrow First Time Pachinko Owner - 70s Sankyo Full Restoration Thread

I started a previous thread with some initial questions and introduction, but now that I've begun to dig into the machine I figured a new thread was in order. The original thread can be found here: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/show...Pachinko-Owner

While I'm still in the process of figuring out what to do about a couple missing parts, I took advantage of a lazy Sunday evening to tear into the machine and start the cleaning process. As much as I am dying to clean up the front of the machine, my background in home remodeling tells me to save the cosmetics for last. Luckily this machine is already in pretty decent shape. I started by taking some photos and removing the plastic parts on the rear of the machine that were easily accessible. All went well except for a stripped screw and a hidden staple that caused me to put a small. but repairable crack in the green ball return piece. I'm really trying to avoid removing staples, as they have proven to be a PITA, and I want to make sure everything goes back together in the exact original place. Luckily most of the dirtiest areas are accessible without prying off the stapled parts. I gave all of the removed parts a good bath in the kitchen sink with a toothbrush and all purpose cleaner. Next will be vacuuming and wiping down everything that is still fixed to the machine.

Some takeaways from this portion of the project:
    -Staples suck!
    -This machine could definitely be dirtier, but I'm surprised at how well if functions after seeing the crud on the inside. I guess metal balls aren't afraid of some dust!
    -I've found that my set of automotive hose removal tools has really come in handy with this machine. Clearing out ball jams, cleaning hard to reach places, and removing staples are all much easier with these. If you don't have a set, I highly recommend picking them up. Picture below.
    -Is lubrication on any of the internals necessary?

Over the next couple days I will continue cleaning the internals, but I am happy with the little bit of progress I've made so far! I will continue to update this thread as I move forward. Thank you to all that have responded to my original thread..I've glad to have a collectors community to guide me in this tedious process!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to bigredmachine878

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First Time Pachinko Owner - 70s Sankyo Full Restoration Thread

No lubrication required. Most pivot points are brass. Clean, polish and dry only.

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Befgore removing staples...drill small pilot holes in the wood using the holes in the plastic as a template. Use wire cutters to cut staple in middle, bend legs up, and use wire cutters to grip and leverage staples up and out. When reassembling, new screws in the plastic holes to the ones you drilled (using the plastic as a guide) will insure perfect alignment!

6. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Befgore removing staples...drill small pilot holes in the wood using the holes in the plastic as a template. Use wire cutters to cut staple in middle, bend legs up, and use wire cutters to grip and leverage staples up and out. When reassembling, new screws in the plastic holes to the ones you drilled (using the plastic as a guide) will insure perfect alignment!
    Thankfully, this is exactly what I did! I only removed a couple of parts that were stapled, but man is it a pain. I get it though...these machines weren't exactly built for longevity. If I was a guy at the Sankyo factory I would be more than happy to pop in some staples rather than screws!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Over the past week I've made a ton of progress on the machine, but a couple setbacks. The internals are now 90% clean. I did not remove the main plastic body, but from a visual inspection everything looked to be in good shape. The parts I removed were the dirtiest and are now spotless. I have to clean the internals of the play tray, but that's about it. Missing parts are now installed as well! Max at Pachinkoboy.com was able to locate the "bend" piece of the track, and sell me a reproduction track cover. Both work perfect and he was awesome to deal with!

While I've been waiting on the new parts, I've been mostly focusing on polishing all of the cosmetics on the front. While I've improved the overall appearance A TON, I managed to damage the play tray window and a tiny bit of the play tray itself by not being gentle enough with my dremel polishing wheel. The window was already cracked and yellowed, but it would have been barely noticeable. I also stripped some chrome off of the finger rest, but it had prior damage already. I ended up stripping off all the chrome and polishing the bare metal. I'm working on repairing my damage as best I can, but I'm keeping my eye out for replacement parts. This has been a major disappointment, since everything is looking absolutely perfect otherwise.

I've made a ton of headway on restoring the receiving tray/ash tray. It was pretty pitted, but I spent a lot of time with the wire wheels are polishing wheels. Pictures will be on the way when I get it 100% complete.

I've also repaired 2 tulips that were getting jammed. It seemed like the metal prongs that control the tulip opening and closing were bent in a way that made them jam when a ball would close the tulip. I bent these back and all is well.

This week I will finalize my cleaning and give everything a final polish. After that I just need to reconnect lighting power and get a lot more balls!

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to bigredmachine878

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Final update (for now):
    I still have some cleaning to do, but its now fully functional and MUCH cleaner. I also need my front piece of glass for the play field. The rear glass is replaced but the front piece was cut slightly too big. Other than that, I decided to install it in its final destination in my basement office. Its fun to play, and guests absolutely love it. A cable guy that was working in my basement went bonkers when he saw it, which was cool! I mounted it directly in the wall and trimmed it out with stained oak. I added a 1x4 at the bottom to make room for a drink stand, and quarter round for the perimeter. The "drink stand" is actually an aluminum shower shelf that I thought matched the aesthetic of the machine well.

IMG_1153JPG.jpgIMG_1160JPG.jpgIMG_1181JPG.jpg

11. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to bigredmachine878

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looking good

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very nice install! I understand cabinets "surface mounted" to the wall...but, nothing looks as good as a machine mounted "recessed" into the wall! I'm moving to a new house...and my mind is racing , looking at flush mount possibilities!

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

bravo Brava
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice looking
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is so cool! Did you lean the top back slightly? If not, do you have any problem when playing with the balls against the glass?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I like the shelf for the mysterious, brown juice, glass.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bourbon whiskey in the glass ?
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's a prop for the photo only... no food/drink goes near his baby

Buzz ON