Thread: New Guy with New Guy Questions on 1st Vintage Pachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Guy with New Guy Questions on 1st Vintage Pachinko

Been looking at getting a machine for several years but antiques stores always wanted to much and the occasional goodwill find were always way to damaged for me. Finally got a decent looking one and have been reading up and watching vintagepachinko youtube vids and have learned quite a bit already. Mine does have a couple irregularities I am hoping you good folks could have an answer too.

1. the wire for the ball empty sign has been bent in (looks intentional) to disable the flag drop, not sure why unless it was done for next issue

2. the low ball lever on the feeder tray moves freely by hand, but it does not move up on its own as if the tray is empty. Is there supposed to be a spring or weight that a full tray of balls overcomes to move it down.

3. when I opened the clear cover over the seesaw doodad I found 1 ball that is bigger than the 5 that were in the machine and not engraved. Is it possible this ball is from the seesaw? In my readings I have this referred to as 1 ball seesaw and in only 1 place it was referred to as a 2 ball seesaw. There is definitely 1 ball in there that I can tell when I move it. I dont see any opening during regular game play that a ball could end up in here.

4.The lost ball chute seems to have electrical tape under it, is this normal a "fix" that was done to correct an issue

back.jpegfront2.jpegemptyflag.jpeg
    seesaw.jpeglost ball.jpeg

Thanks guys

2. The following user says "Thanks" to fordtufff

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Guy with New Guy Questions on 1st Vintage Pachinko

Hello and welcome. Neat machine.

1.. Bent is normal. Adjustment to the bend are sometimes requied.

2. There is a screw at the bottom of the conecting wire to the flag control. This often needs adjustment as well so the lever in the upper tray operates freely. It should raise easily to turn on the low ball light.

3. 2 regular sized balls secured in the seesaw. Remove the oversized one. Does not belong in the machine.

4. Appears the spot welds have broken free as that metal part should be attached to the lower rail.

Hope that clears up a few things.

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the response, very informative forum here.

I guess it is not really noticeable in the pic of the low ball flag, but it is actually bent and pushed back into the slot it comes out of so the flag does not move at all. The bend from what i have seen, should make it rest above the wire coming out of the face directly behind?

The lost ball chute does not need to be able to tilt back and forth? So I can do a better looking fix than electric tape to keep it stationary?

I am going to start with a good cleaning following the tips here, and eventually refinish the front wood. Were these usually stained and clear coated? It definitely doesnt look like paint. The way it is crackling along the bottom, it looks like maybe it is shellac that has ambered over time giving it the yellow tint?

Thanks again, and back to continuing my pachinko education

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Correct on the flag wire. Should be closer to a 90 with point toward the hinge.

Tab should not move. Pic attached for reference.20200129_204840-1.jpg

A good sanding and a clear coat will bring out the natural wood grain. Age and nicotine makes them yellowed.

7. The following user says "Thanks" to Tink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

straighten the wire out.. people bend them so the machine will work with less balls..

the wight of the bottom rod that connects to your bent up wire has enought weight to operate the low ball plunger in the top hopper..

the tape could be one of two things.. either the track has been bent down and then wedged it to work better or they had the machine vertical and balls would not roll correctly.. try leaning the machine back a bit to help game play
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    and one car guy to another

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Back before the internet I had to figure out the machine by trial and error . I messed up my first machine play field by using Brasso cleaner on the brass nails and soiled the area's around the nails .

Many Thanks to all the members help.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS