Thread: Hello all Requesting advice and assistance with Taco Slot, reel no stop issue.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Hello all Requesting advice and assistance with Taco Slot, reel no stop issue.

Hi Everyone! I'm obviously new to this forum and certainly new to the world of Pachislo machines! My wife and I have been wanting to buy a slot machine for some time and came across a Taco Slot 3 reel at Goodwill. Although I suspected there might be problems, we went ahead and picked it up at the excessive $149.00 price point. :-) At least the money goes to a good place! Regardless, we now own it and want to get it working. Any help is appreciated!

Overall, it seems clear that this unit was not reconditioned or serviced before removal from whatever far off Pachislo parlor it came from. It's a little grimy inside, ashtray dirty, coin handler dirty, coin unit (the one in the door) dirty'ish, mild corrosion, but otherwise working fine. There are slight signs of corrosion inside on exposed metal. There was slight corrosion found on a limited number of pins within some of the mainboard connectors, as indicated in the images below.

Issue: The unit seems fully operational with the exception of being unable to stop the reels. All controls other than the three stop buttons generate LED feedback on the mainboard. The three stop buttons themselves generate no output, which appears to be due to a blown fuse, and a replaced fuse that subsequently blew also. I have extras to work with from here but clearly they are blowing due to other bad components. Note that I am an electronics total novice. I can solder, but that's about it. A multimeter is on the way soon so that I can perform appropriate tests as needed.

Corrective actions I have attempted:

> Unplugged and reseated all main connectors into mainboard, mainboard to stop board, mainboard to reels, etc.
    - No change in behavior.

> Confirmed all connectors are properly seated.
    - No problems found.

> Deoxit was used on the connectors where corrosion was found.
    - No change in behavior.

> Changed fast blow 1A fuse on stop board.
    - Replacement fuse immediately blew.

> Pulled stop button unit and disassembled it. Found a fair amount of dust within. Cleaned that out. Sensors are now clean. Connector reseated, as you would expect.
    - No change in behavior.

Note that under no conditions does pressing any of the stop buttons result in an LED on the mainboard. I assume this is due to blown fuse on stop board.

My plans from here:

Having reviewed this board extensively, it appears that I must have a bad stop board. I tend to agree. Some posts indicated that I should consider changing the 1uF 50v tantalum cap at C10. I have ordered the necessary caps to change the four caps indicated by red mark in the image below. All appear to be related to the electrical feed to the board itself.
    C9 450uF 50v electrolytic axial cap.
    C10 1uF 50v tantalum cap.
    C11 47uF 10v electrolytic radial cap.
    C12 1uF 35v tantalum cap.

My questions:
    > Am I on the right track with my planned repairs? Considering the blown fuse on stop board, rather than buying a new one, is replacing the caps the correct next step?
    > I was unable to effectively rule out a problem with the stop button unit. Is there some way I can bypass the unit by shorting wires at the connector? (see image).
    > Is there a risk that the mainboard might be bad? It seems to operate perfectly (all functions are OK, just no stop until timeout) and does not seem like it would blow a fuse on the stop board anyway.
    > Do you have any other suggestions that might be helpful?

Here are the caps I want to replace on stop board, marked with red pointer.

For reference, this appears to be the map of lights on the mainboard. As previously mentioned all other controls on the unit result in light on mainboard, including while reels rotate, after stop, etc. Also, reset, odds adjustments, payout, etc., all work correctly.

Here is an image of the stop button connector. As I asked before, is there any way I can short leads on the connector to rule out a bad stop button unit (just want to be thorough).

Thank you all for any help you can offer! I greatly appreciate it and am really hopeful that we can repair this unit. We like it quite a lot.

Regards,
    ForgiveR

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ForgiveR

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Hello all Requesting advice and assistance with Taco Slot, reel no stop is

WELCOME!!!

I'm sorry I can't help, hopefully an actually helpful pachislo person will be along soon!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Hello all Requesting advice and assistance with Taco Slot, reel no stop is

I'm more of a Pachinko kinda guy.. but wanted to say

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Behond my knowledge. but others have found replacing the caps to be successfull. Please let us know how you get on.
    Ian #UKPachinko

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

From my understanding, if the fuse "blows" on the stop board, one or more of the 4 components I have circled in yellow, needs replaced.

2401_Stop_11_1.jpg

What if...​the ​HOKEY POKEY, is what it's all about?

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Wayne-Ooo

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

12. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne-Ooo View Post
    From my understanding, if the fuse "blows" on the stop board, one or more of the 4 components I have circled in yellow, needs replaced.
    Thanks Wayne-Ooo. So, I'll order the diode and voltage regulator that I've not yet ordered. Would you or anyone else happen to have a schematic for this board? Being confident when selecting the replacement parts it tough. And, I'm not too excited about trying to remove/replace that small regulator (I'm not super-skilled at soldering). One of the parts, the large cap @ C9 comes in today. Does anyone know if there is risk if I replace components one at a time and test between? I'm definitely replacing the large cap today.

On another note, there seemed to be a thin layer of nicotine on the exposed glass which revealed itself when hit with microfiber cloth, so clearly this unit has seen significant use. Looking at the power supply, the "In" and "Out" numbers are really high. Does this equate to the "odometer" for this unit? Image below. Please forgive the grime. Not done cleaning yet, at all.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Man!!! That machine seen alot of use !!I

I have been working with electronics since 1967 and The one thing I know is that components wear out and either Fail completely or slowly fail . I would rep!ace all the circled components then plug it back in .
    Last edited by takethecastle57; 01-28-2020 at 08:37 AM.
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

15. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Man!!! That machine seen alot of use !!I

I have been working with electronics since 1967 and The one thing I know is that components wear out and either Fail completely or slowly fail . I would rep!ace all the circled components then plug it back in .
    They certainly do. The only part coming in today is the large C9 450uF 50v electrolytic axial cap, so my plan is to replace that, test the old cap, and if it was "bad", then plug in and test. Hopefully piecemeal replacement and testing is not risky to the rest of the components.

Any thoughts on that Takethecastle57?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I would stock up on that one type of fuse cause other components on that board could be bad besides the ones circled. But good thoughts that it will take minimal effort to get it up and running like it should.

18. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks very much. Unfortunately the big cap did not arrive. Only small caps. I did replace them, just for good measure, but did not retest yet. Multimeter indicated the diode at lower-left in your image was OK, so that's good news. Updates as soon as I start changing components in earnest.

Best regards to all!

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ForgiveR

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default FIXED Requesting advice and assistance with Taco Slot, reel no stop issue

Hi Everyone! After replacing three electrolytic caps and two dipped tantalum caps, my Taco Slot machine is OPERATIONAL! Thanks again to everyone on this thread and the helpful suggestions posted otherwise on this board. I could not have fixed it without your help! Note that I replaced each part as listed earlier in the thread even though I could not confirm which part was problematic. That's OK. Parts are cheap. And, the electrolytic caps should be replaced anyway. As mentioned... C9 450uF 50v electrolytic axial cap. C10 1uF 50v tantalum cap. C11 47uF 10v electrolytic radial cap. C12 1uF 35v tantalum cap. I also replaced the 47uF 10v cap on the opposite side of the board. One funny thing is that when my wife and I sat down to test, we powered-up, fed in a coin, pulled lever, pressed button, and.... Nothing. We sat there disappointed for about 30 seconds when I realized, "Oh, I forgot to put in the fuse". I popped in the fuse, retest, and all was well! Good times! Too bad I only have 3 tokens, but I'll fix that soon! Thanks again all!

22. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to ForgiveR

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great News, Well done
    Ian #UKPachinko

24. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

26. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

28. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fantastic news!!

Happy Pachi Playing!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

30. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Btw, I consider this ticket closed! Thanks all!

32. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ForgiveR