Thread: Volume control install help: Sankyo Fortune frame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Volume control install help: Sankyo Fortune frame

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between the pins you suspect to be the speakers. They'll usually measure between 4 and 16 ohms, if both pairs measure the same, then it's more likely that they are the speaker connections.

Sometimes you can hear a click from the speaker itself when you make the connection with the meter leads (it depends on how much voltage the meter uses to make the resistance measurement). If you don't then you could use a 1.5v (or lower voltage) battery across the speaker leads and you should hear a click from the speaker as the connection is made and unmade.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Volume control install help: Sankyo Fortune frame

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between the pins you suspect to be the speakers. They'll usually measure between 4 and 16 ohms, if both pairs measure the same, then it's more likely that they are the speaker connections.

Sometimes you can hear a click from the speaker itself when you make the connection with the meter leads (it depends on how much voltage the meter uses to make the resistance measurement). If you don't then you could use a 1.5v (or lower voltage) battery across the speaker leads and you should hear a click from the speaker as the connection is made and unmade.
    Good stuff Daverob, as usual! I tried busting out my Harbor Freight multimeter, was getting a reading of around 4.5 ohm I think? (I’m a complete electronic repair/electrician newb, only used a multimeter once before for investigating a some automotive electrical issues) Did I have the multimeter set the the right setting? It did show 0 when I touched the probes together.

To double check, I rigged up a sophisticated battery jumper contraption with some spare bits of wire and a C cell battery; success! I heard one of the speakers making a “popping” sort of sound. Guess the next step is to cut one of the wires and see if it does indeed shut off the speaker. Does it matter at all which wire (red or white) I put the volume control on? No right?