Thread: Avengers Ball Shooter question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Avengers Ball Shooter question

This new Avengers of mine plays normally, including the ball shooter, without a CR dongle attached. Is this typical of Kyoraku (OK) machines or should I be looking to see if this one's been modified? I'll eventually want to use it with a daverob dongle and card reader, so I'm wondering if this might cause a problem?

If it looks to have been modified, is there any sort of typical way to do it on the Kyoraku machines? A very quick glance at the back didn't immediately reveal any obvious opto-isolaters so I'll have to find those to see if they've been bridged.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Avengers Ball Shooter question

A good picture of the area where the 25pin D connector would be a good start.
    I don't know what the connectors are on the new P series machines are. I would have thought they would stick with the standard CR layout
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It can cause a problem with the dongle, but it may not be obvious when you first try it.

If the shooter handle is always enabled by a mod, then the dongle has no way of resetting the card reader interface. This isn't a problem in normal operation, the dongle resets the interface at power up (which isn't strictly needed as the pachinko has powered up at the same time so the interface is already reset!), and then will only reset it again if there is a payout error.

If the dongle can't reset the interface, then it has to wait for the pachinko to time-out the comms session and reset the interface itself. Some machines will time-out and recover in a few seconds, others take up to a minute and you can't retry the payout until both sides have reset.

So you won't notice an issue until there is a payout problem (ie top tray is out of balls, or front tray is overfull), and if you're lucky the card reader comms will time-out and fix itself while the physical problem is being resolved, but there may be occasions when it appears to have stopped working for a short while for no apparent reason.

The best course of action is to find the modification and remove it. If you can't find where it has been done, then post some pics and we should be able to point you in the general direction you should be looking.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks again guys. My first daverob dongle is due to arrive tomorrow it appears, so I will be able to test, even though the dongle is intended for another machine in the long term. I'll attach a couple photos of the backside below:

IMG_3302.JPGIMG_3300.JPGIMG_3299.JPGIMG_3297.JPG

I'm guessing I may need to pull that black and clear enclosure holding the DB25 off so I can get a good look at it. I just noticed in looking at the photo that a screw seems to be missing there so that may be a sign someone's been in there or behind it. I also can't really get a good photo of it in the installed position.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Toyguy

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It doesn't look like the board with the DB25 is big enough to have the opto-isolators on it, but I can't see how much more is hidden behind the black plastic.

You can see three optos on the main control board next to the telephone jack connector (which is used for software verification in the Japanese pachinko halls). You can see the PCB labels of PC1,PC2 in the photo. Though these ones will be for the aforementioned verification connector and not the card reader interface ones that we are looking for.

The board to be looking on is the one on the lower left with the red LEDs and reset button. The picture isn't clear enough to recognise individual components, but if there is anything on that board with a PCB ident that begins 'PC' then you'll probably find a blob of solder on the back of the board in that area.

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's also worthwhile to note the boards are normally security sealed. Look for a board with damaged outer plastic casing,
    Ian #UKPachinko