Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Takeya Monster Village power issue - burnt diode help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Takeya Monster Village power issue - burnt diode help

Greetings!

First time caller, long time listener. Thanks for having such an awesome resource for enthusiasts like me!

So I've got a Takeya Monster Village modern pachinko machine that I bought about a decade ago. When I bought it, I had no idea how the machines worked. Like a lot of folks with limited knowledge, I plugged the machine in without the transformer attached. The machine quickly lit up and then popped off. The recognizable smell of burnt components quickly filled the air, and I was heartbroken. I put the machine into storage and forgot to get back to it for a long time. I recently got it back out of storage and started going over all the boards.

It looks like I have a burnt diode on the power distribution board. The board is labeled "SB-DG043". The diode in question is labelled "D4", on the bottom left corner of the board. The diode is much smaller than anything I've seen before, and it takes a jeweler's loupe to be able to make out any kind of markings. The burnt diode is impossible to read, but there's another diode of the same size and what appears to be the same markings on the board labelled "D6". From what I can read on the diode, I can see the letters/numbers "S", "4", "5", and a ".", but not sure what order they are in.

I've tried to search everywhere for a diode this size with any combination of those letters and numbers, but I'm coming up short. Does anyone have any idea what kind of diode this is? I'd love to replace it and see if that gets things going again. If I need to post pictures of the board and the diode in question, please let me know. I'm just hoping maybe some of the more electronically gifted folks on here know what this thing could be.

Thanks!

-Fuse

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ny2cafuse

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Takeya Monster Village power issue - burnt diode help

WELCOME!!!

Sorry, I've got no clue about this stuff..Just wanted to say that it never hurts to post pics if you have them!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by MrGneiss View Post
    Sorry, I've got no clue about this stuff..Just wanted to say that it never hurts to post pics if you have them!!

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here's the full power distribution board:

Board.jpg

Here's the burnt diode:

Burntdiode.jpg

Here's the identical diode on the other side of the board:

D6Diode.jpg

If I can supply any other info or pictures, please let me know. Thanks!

-Fuse

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to ny2cafuse

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Did you find the remains of the blown diode.
    As there is nothing left of that one. How do you know its of the same type?
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Did you find the remains of the blown diode.
    As there is nothing left of that one. How do you know its of the same type?
    The diode was still intact when I found it, but it was visibly cracked and whatnot. I tried to desolder it from the board and it broke into pieces before I even got heat on the posts. I then used my jewelers loupe to look at all the pieces individually, and when pieced together like a jigsaw puzzle, they had the same markings as the D6 diode, and the diode was the exact same size. I can't be 100% sure, but I'm like 98% sure it's the same.

I found the Takeya website and emailed the contact email there asking for diode info or even the schematics, but I haven't received a response in like 2-3 weeks.

-Fuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Difficult to tell what type of diode it would have been without being able to see both sides of the circuit board.

If you can post pictures of both sides of the board, as close to square on as you can. We can see where in the circuit the diode is located and what it's likely function is.

Usually when plugged directly into 110v there will be a blown protection diode, but these are usually located closer to the AC input connector of the power board.

As there doesn't appear to be any fuses on the board. There will probably be a blown one somewhere if there is damage like this on the PSU board.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    Difficult to tell what type of diode it would have been without being able to see both sides of the circuit board.

If you can post pictures of both sides of the board, as close to square on as you can. We can see where in the circuit the diode is located and what it's likely function is.

Usually when plugged directly into 110v there will be a blown protection diode, but these are usually located closer to the AC input connector of the power board.

As there doesn't appear to be any fuses on the board. There will probably be a blown one somewhere if there is damage like this on the PSU board.

@daverob, the main power board had blown fuses for sure. One was a 15a slot and one was a 1a slot. I couldn't find anything on that board that looked bad.

Here's the front and back of the power distribution board as best as I could square them up.

Back of board.jpg

20191114_141555.jpg

I'm thinking that maybe with the location directly off the power trace, that might the protection diode you mentioned.

Also, I missed this before, but it looks like there's another diode at the D5 spot on the board, coming off of the other power trace. Here's what I can see when I zoom in on that one:

20191114_142654.jpg

This one shows "S6" from what I can see. Same size, but different markings.

Let me know if you need any other shots.

-Fuse

13. The following user says "Thanks" to ny2cafuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It appears that the blown diode feeds to R1 and a resistor divider network around IC3 (can't make out the chip markings on IC3 so not sure what it's doing). I'd check ZD1 to see if it is short circuit. But D4 doesn't look like it's doing anything special, it's just rectifying 24V at 60Hz line frequency and feeding what looks like a low power circuit, so you should be able to replace it with any regular silicon rectifier diode. Might also be a good idea if you can read the value printed on R1 to check that it measures something similar in circuit, just in case there's something else fed by D4 that's short circuited.

I'd also check the main bridge rectifier diodes on the heatsink. It's quite possible that what ever has caused D4 to blow has also taken out a diode or two in the bridge rectifiers. I'd almost hope that you have shorts on the bridge rectifiers, as it looks like you have STK regulator modules on the other heatsink and they can be quite fragile (and are much harder to source replacements than diode bridges).

If there are other components along with the fuses on the main power board, then a photo of that one might help. There are likely to be components on there that might physically look OK, but should be checked before you attempt to power the machine back up.

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

@daverob, thanks for all the info. I'll see if I can check on the stuff you mentioned.

Here's what I can see on R1:

R1.jpg

Does this change anything with your diagnoses? Also, I'm not terribly adept at electronics. When you say replace D4 with any regular silicon rectifier diode, can you point me in the direction of one that would suffice, or maybe just the voltage and amps I should be looking for?

I appreciate all the help, mate!

-Fuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The markings on R1 could either show it's either a 10k ohm resistor (103 signifying '10' with '3' zeros), or 56 ohm, depending on which of the numbers might be the value. So if you measure it with a multimeter and the value is something near either of those two values, then the circuit around it is probably OK, if it measures a lot closer to zero, then there might be some other short circuits to track down.

D4 can be replaced with most types of rectifier. A 1 Amp rating should be sufficient given the physical size of the original diode, and I'd pick a voltage rating of 75v or above. It'll probably be easiest to source a 1N400x series diode (any of the ones from 1N4002 to 1N4007).

If you're not certain of exactly what you're doing, then feel free to ask for clarification. It's better to ask questions than try something you're unsure of that might do more damage to the machine.

I would also like to see a picture of the board with the blown fuses on. If there are protection devices, they are usually near the fuses, and they are designed to go short circuit and blow fuses, so you'll need to check them before you replace the fuses.

18. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Luckily I had some 1N4002 diodes on hand from when I used to mess around with arduinos. I got that diode swapped out, and a new 15a fuse is on the way today. My local hardware store didn't have them.

Here's the board that the power comes in on. With the cover:

20191119_073643.jpg

With the cover off:

20191119_073328.jpg

I've also got a multimeter coming today so I can test things as needed. I'm super hopeful the diode I replaced is the only thing that was bad. I'd really love to have this thing running before Christmas for my kids.

-Fuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok... so I've replaced the diode and tested powering just the power distribution board on with no other board wiring attached. As soon as I flip the switch, the diode burns out and the 15A fuse blows. I tested the diode at D5, and it looks like that one is bad too. I'm going to try to solder a new one there too, and I'll check back in when I get past that.

-Fuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So I'm pretty sure I'm at a standstill with this thing. I was able to remove the D5 diode that was bad, but I can't for the life of me get a diode soldered back on in its place. The cathode side trace is on the top of the board and the anode side trace is on the bottom. I can't for the life of me get either to stick. I've burnt my damn fingers like 5 times now trying . This is quickly reminding me why I hate working on PCBs.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Check for short circuits on DSP1 and DSP2 with your multimeter before trying another fuse, same with Z1-3 on the switch board. These components are designed to go short circuit and blow the fuse if there is an overvoltage, and they usually stay short circuited if they have been subjected to 110v.

If they are OK, then power the machine up with a new fuse, but with none of the output connectors on the switch board. If the fuse stays intact, then you know that the switch board is OK.

Powering up the switch board with the output connectors disconnected is OK, as there's no active circuitry on it. DO NOT power up the main power supply board (the one with the blown diode on it) without ALL of the connectors on it connected. The STK chips on the big heatsink require a load on the outputs to work, they are likely to self destruct if there's nothing connected for them to output to.

Check all the diodes on the power supply board, and the bridge rectifiers for short circuits. Also measure R1 as stated before. If R1 measures a lower value than what's printed on it, there's something else wrong in that area of the board, and D4 will blow again.

D5 may be a different type of diode. I can't see where it is on the photo of the board, so cannot advise on what it's powering or whether it is safe to substitute it with a 1N4002.
    Last edited by daverob; 11-19-2019 at 06:54 PM.

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Alright. I'm pretty sure I'm at a standstill with this thing. The D5 diode cathode trace is on the top side of the board, and the anode trace is on the bottom side of the board. For the life of me, I can't get either to stick to the board. The top trace is impossible to get to without bumping into anything with the soldering iron. I'm sure a more skilled hand could do it in a snap, but I'm an absolute loser with this type of stuff.

Does anyone do PCB repairs or could recommend someone that does?

-Fuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry for the double post. I forgot about the admin approval requirement and I seriously thought I didn't post anything. It's been one of those days.

R1 measures 9.19k ohms. Is that within range of the 10k ohms, or should I consider that bad?

-Fuse
    Last edited by ny2cafuse; 11-19-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    D5 may be a different type of diode. I can't see where it is on the photo of the board, so cannot advise on what it's powering or whether it is safe to substitute it with a 1N4002.
    I have a picture of it in the post above. It's labelled differently than the D4 and D6 diodes. From what I can tell, the D5 diode comes off the power input on the bottom side of the board and on the top side of the board it goes into the C6 capacitor. But even if I knew what exactly to replace it with, I can't solder anything in that spot without messing anything up.

-Fuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

IT'S ALIVE!

I still couldn't get the D5 diode soldered to the board. It's too difficult a position for me to do it safely. I was running out of diodes to try with, so I pulled out an old LED and jumped from the anode side trace on the bottom of the board to the closest terminal on the C6 capacitor, which is what I originally thought the diode was feeding into. I figured if the diode was going to blow again, it was just an LED.

Well... it powered on. The LED isn't even lit up, so I'm sure it's likely not going to blow it. I just need to figure out how to replace it with the correct diode, and ideally soldered correctly on the board. But it works... and it's the first time in over a decade that this thing has powered on.

@daverob... you're amazing. Your knowledge and patience are extremely appreciated.

When I get this thing all buttoned up and playing correctly, I'll try to post some pictures.

-Fuse

28. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ny2cafuse

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Now to find some balls and figure out how this thing plays.

20191120_113246_HDR.jpg

I'm so excited!

-Fuse

30. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to ny2cafuse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast