Thread: New Brains for a 'Zombie' 1989.7 Sankyo Fever Lexus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New Brains for a 'Zombie' 1989.7 Sankyo Fever Lexus

I had so much fun resurrecting an older pachislo machine that I decided to take on an early modern pachinko machine and do the same. I finally found a beautiful, but broken, unit for sale within a two hour drive from my location. Seller said it played well but lights and sound did not work. Unfortunately after buying it I discovered the brains had been removed and the wiring slightly hacked to make the ball launch motor run so it did 'technically' play (somewhat like a vintage 70's model) but obviously has no activity from the lights, center board reels, fever mode, etc... Sooooooo disappointed that I have no possible opportunity to troubleshoot the original controller.

However, I'm thinking of taking this lemon and making lemonade. My thought is to discover the function of enough of the connector pin headers to create a replacement controller out of an arduino (or similar modern microcontroller) and bring the cool features back to life as I can imagine them.

The machine is a Sankyo 1989.7 Fever Lexus IV D

Before I get started on this quest I'm wondering if there is...
    Any source for original controllers that would be a direct replacement? (I'm thinking not, since they made so many different models with different features.)
    Any pinouts/schematics/voltage requirements/insights/etc of Sankyo game boards that may give me a head start on this quest.
    Anyone who has done this before and shared their experience.
    Lastly, any videos of game play on this style of machine - so that I may get an idea of what the controller should do and what makes for fun game play.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer

IMG_7930.JPGIMG_7931.JPGIMG_7932.JPGIMG_7933.JPGIMG_7934.JPGIMG_7935.JPGIMG_7936.JPG

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New Brains for a 'Zombie' 1989.7 Sankyo Fever Lexus

WOW! That is WAY over my head! I well imagine that it could be done with an Arduino...don't think it would be easy! At least not for me! You could somehow use the 5 line slot machine reels to dispense balls...the sum of the 3 numbers on a winning line, possibly? There are at least a few members who have used Arduinos to replace missing or blown controllers, so additional help should be on the way!
    I have a machine with the same frame. One speaker behind the door, with a 3 position volume switch. Of course, that don't mean anything now...and probably won't mean much later.
    I'm guessing that it shoots balls...but does not pay at all...because the controller tells it when.
    Good luck with it...and, keep us posted of any progress!

4. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry, I'm no help, but sounds like a cool idea to me!!

People have talked about trying to do similar stuff over the years, but I don't remember anyone posting that they've actually done it!! Good luck!!

I googled フィーバーレクサス and the ones marked VI or VID (not IVD) look like the one you have!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DqAfFculA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPYS859cKs

There are more videos of ones labeled V and VII that may help too!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Those links are AWESOME! Thanks so much for the native language search. I tried an english-language search and did not have your success. I just copy/pasted your native language text and got a lot of hits - this will help tremendously.

You are also correct my model is a VI D - I just looked again.

I still hope for some pre-confirmation on expected voltages to components...

You folks are the best! I'll keep everyone posted on the project.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unfortunately there’s no schematics available; pachinkos were designed to be used for a couple years then scrapped. Sankyo isn’t going to help somebody figure out what parts are missing on a 30 year old pachinko either. Although you have a great idea; I think it’s going to be an uphill battle that would seriously test your patience and take a lot of hours of tinkering/coding with no guarantee of success since you are shooting in the dark with no schematics. Other members have brought up the idea before after purchasing machines with missing circuit boards as mentioned but nobody has been successful to my knowledge as mentioned above.

There’s other cells (the gameboard itself) that fit in that frame; an alternative would be to purchase just the cell from yahooJapan auctions and swap it in. You’d be looking at $120-150 in just shipping cost however. (More than the machine is worth) Hopefully you didn’t pay much for it. As is it’s just a parts machine really.

I’d simply cut my losses and wait for an intact (and verified 100% working) machine to pop up locally. In my experience hanemono style machines (the skill based ones with moving arms) are more reliable due to not having LCD screens or spinning “reels” and the associated components that go bad. I’ve got many 25-30 year old ones that work like new; while I’ve had 2 digipachis have LCD issues (related to components that run the LCD screen failing) and those were mid 2000’s era machines (Lumina frame). Both cells are now worthless paperweights (Marilyn Monroe and Fever powerful). Early digipachi aren’t much fun in my opinion anyway! Hanemono all the way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The following user says "Thanks" to lotsoballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

@lotsofballs thanks for your insight and experience.

I've been busy studying what I do have and figuring out a strategy to replicate gameplay using an arduino and associated components. I intend to post my project progress on the forum for others that may be interested in the same. I've been encouraged to find out that stepper motor control (for the center reels) is very similar to 3d printer cnc stepper motor control in the arduino community which provides stepper motor controllers and associated components and code. I also found that a lot of the 24vac components of the game can be controlled using triac circuits such as those used to control electro elumenescent wires. I've also been investigating strategies to reproduce the sounds of the original machine (special shout out to Mr Gneiss for finding YouTube videos of actual game play on this machine!.)

Soooo, this zombie is proving to provide what I'm really after... an opportunity to learn and stretch my electronics troubleshooting and repair capabilities. I'm happy enough so far

Spent last night researching how the 2-wire inductive proximity ball sensors on my machine may integrate with arduino inputs. I think I have a solution... we'll see

Again, thanks to the entire community for any feedback or insight you can provide. I'm a nOObe with this, but really enjoying the ride. I think I'll be pleased to see this machine come back to life. The play field and front components are really in good shape. It's a shame that someone ripped out it's brains... but one man's junk is another man's treasure... right?

Blessings to all.

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to atlanticom

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by atlanticom View Post
    @lotsofballs thanks for your insight and experience.

I've been busy studying what I do have and figuring out a strategy to replicate gameplay using an arduino and associated components. I intend to post my project progress on the forum for others that may be interested in the same. I've been encouraged to find out that stepper motor control (for the center reels) is very similar to 3d printer cnc stepper motor control in the arduino community which provides stepper motor controllers and associated components and code. I also found that a lot of the 24vac components of the game can be controlled using triac circuits such as those used to control electro elumenescent wires. I've also been investigating strategies to reproduce the sounds of the original machine (special shout out to Mr Gneiss for finding YouTube videos of actual game play on this machine!.)

Soooo, this zombie is proving to provide what I'm really after... an opportunity to learn and stretch my electronics troubleshooting and repair capabilities. I'm happy enough so far

Spent last night researching how the 2-wire inductive proximity ball sensors on my machine may integrate with arduino inputs. I think I have a solution... we'll see

Again, thanks to the entire community for any feedback or insight you can provide. I'm a nOObe with this, but really enjoying the ride. I think I'll be pleased to see this machine come back to life. The play field and front components are really in good shape. It's a shame that someone ripped out it's brains... but one man's junk is another man's treasure... right?

Blessings to all.
    I look forward to hearing how this ambitious project turns out! I’ve only seen it done on a basic level on a vintage machine with added sound effects and light show controlled by arduino so this would be next level stuff if you can get the reels/payouts/pockets controlled by it. Good luck with it and keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lotsoballs; 10-01-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by atlanticom View Post
    The ball sensors are fairly simple, power them from a +12v supply via a resistor of around 680 ohms to 1k ohms, the voltage across the sensor will typically be 5-7 volts with no ball present, and will drop to below 1v when a ball is detected. Feed this voltage via a 10k-47k resistor to your input using a 4.7v zener diode across the input to protect if from the higher voltage.

The alternative is replacement sensors, I've got a few 3 wire sensors around that operate from a 5v supply and have an open collector transistor output that only needs a pull up resistor for a logic level input.

15. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks daverob,

I was hoping you would chime in on this project. My research suggested using a voltage divider to drop the trigger voltage to acceptable levels along with a current limiting resistor. I hadn't considered a zener, but that makes sense too. I haven't settled on a supply voltage yet. Many components appear to expect 24vac, and I suspect 24vdc as well, so I'm currently thinking of supplying those 'native' voltages to the play field and simply interfacing to drop to logic levels when needed. Do you know what dc voltage play field components normally expect? I currently expect incandescent lamps to expect 24vac. Can you (or anyone) confirm my expectations for such components?

Blessings

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The ball sensors can operate from a range of voltages, if you want to run them from 24Vdc, then you need to pick a series resistor of around 2K2-3K0 to keep the voltage drop across the sensor in the 5-7V range. Look at the markings on the sensor, and see if you can find a datasheet for the device. It will be in Japanese but the voltages and values needed should be there even if you can't read the rest of it.

Bulbs are complicated, and depend on whether they're intended to be directly driven, or pulsed as part of a 'lamp matrix'. They're more easily replaced with ones that will operate at a voltage that is more convenient for you, or just put LEDs in their place. If you find motors or actuators, then you're going to have to test them, as different makes and models use different voltages on the playfield, even up to 32V on some models.

18. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks daverob.

Sorry to hear it's not a straight-forward, one-size-fits-all answer, but it's good to know I should not expect one I'll post updates as I progress. The arduino and associated motor controller boards showed up this week, so I expect to start resurrecting the reels soon.

Happy Thursday All!

20. The following user says "Thanks" to atlanticom