Thread: Arcade1Up Pac Man/Super Pac Man

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Arcade1Up Pac Man/Super Pac Man

I went to WalMart today unplanned, and saw one of the www.Arcade1Up.com's mini Pac Man/Super Pac Man machines, Black Friday deal for $249 ($50 off) Was talking to someone else thought I might be able to cheat and use it for a RetroPie by just doing a different control set, and using the 17inch monitor it comes with. That was dashed, the LCD uses a ribbon cable like IDE hard drives used to connect the display to the controls. Sooo, I went ahead and put it together. It went together pretty well, the only issues I had were the little brackets for the monitor. There are 4 L brackets that hold the monitor to the sides of the cabinet and they use 1/2 inch screws. Getting them in was not the easiest as I was using a standard length Philips head screwdriver rather than a stubby. Two of the brackets are in line with the module on the back of the monitor so with a normal screwdriver you can't really go straight in on the screw. I think I'd have rather that the L brackets had keyhole holes, rather than regular holes, so you could start the screws, put the monitor in slide it down the keyholes, and tighten the screws.

Anyhow, it seems to be a decent little machine. Little is right... it's about the width of a pachinko machine. Plugged it in and played it a little. I didn't really get it to be the 2 games it is, I was planning on putting a multigame thing in, but it'll stay the 2 games at least for now. Total assembly time was about an hour and a half, including clearing space and moving my Christmas tree

Now I need to vacuum again, it had styrofoam packing and some of that was broken. It was well packed though and the panels/etc were in perfect shape. Note it also has wall mount/straps that you are to connect it to a wall to keep it from tipping over, I didn't do that. I wiggled it, it seemed fine to me. But I could understand that if there was a kid playing or hanging off the front of it, that maybe it could overbalance. They also make risers for it, so you can play it standing or from a tall bar stool rather than from a standard height chair. The riser is just a box for it to sit on.

1UpPacMan.jpg20181123_173251s.jpg20181123_122940s.jpg

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Arcade1Up Pac Man/Super Pac Man

I went to Kohl's and bought the Centipede cabinet which comes with the riser included. I haven't set it up yet.

There is a great tutorial for putting a raspberry pi in a Street Fighter cab, which is what I want to do. That cab is already setup with 2 player / 7 buttons each, and would require minimum customization.

ETA Prime does a really good tutorial on it. Check it out if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DQCOr6zQM
    Gotta catch 'em all Pa-chink-o

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaria View Post
    I went to Kohl's and bought the Centipede cabinet which comes with the riser included. I haven't set it up yet.

There is a great tutorial for putting a raspberry pi in a Street Fighter cab, which is what I want to do. That cab is already setup with 2 player / 7 buttons each, and would require minimum customization.

ETA Prime does a really good tutorial on it. Check it out if you are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DQCOr6zQM
    Thanks! That's a great walk through.

I didn't realize the video controller boards were so available. I'd probably make a new board for where the controls attach on mine, the single joy is right in the middle so you don't have room for 2 sets of controls on it with 6 buttons. I already have new buttons/joys, so it's back to gumption to actually do it, and buying one of the LVD control boards.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

centipedea.jpgcentipedeb.jpg

Here's my cab. Also took me about an hour and a half to put it all together.

The riser makes a huge difference as it brings the controls up to about 3' 1-1/2". The total height is about 4' 10-1/4".

The trackball works really well, and is very easy to use. The spinner, not so much. It works fine for controlling the menu.

The push buttons are kind of ok, but could be better.

I played a couple of games, and they played really well, except Tempest which really needs a more responsive spinner!

It's good for what it is, but I think that RetroPi is the way to go in the future.

7. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Ikaria

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got the LVD board last night, I had already ordered a 2A power supply. Looking at the LVD though it says to use one that is MORE than 2A but online I thought it said 2A. I tried it with the 2A and was disappointed that the display said 'no input'. Using the 3A supply that came with the machine worked (and the video said that even) RetroPie booted sideways though, so the orientation was off. Since I had the little wireless USB keyboard on the Pi, I just exited to the shell, did a 'sudo vi boot/config.txt' and added a line 'display_rotate=1' and saved that out. Problem was while that rotated the screen, it ended up upside down. So I had to edit it again with it upside down and change it to 'display_rotate=3' and then it booted upside up. I have power squids in the house, but I think I'll just go get a plain old power strip.

Here's a few shots of converting:
    * Parts: new buttons/joys I already had--still need to make a new control board and wire these up.
    * Undid the screws that held the old video controller and game on... I was going to reuse the metal frame but the old board is glued to it or something so I couldn't get it loose.
    * Bare ends
    * Closer pic of new board, I was confused that the inverter daughter board was not used in this
    * Wired up, need to tack it up with supports yet. It's dangling by wires and the weight of the HDMI cable is a bit heavy on it.
    * RetroPie booted

20181130_173013s.jpg20181130_173303s.jpg20181130_173431s.jpg20181130_174529s.jpg20181130_195519s.jpg20181130_193953s.jpg

9. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to doa12

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like it's coming along nicely! Can't wait to see it all wrapped up!

There is a Final Fight Cabinet (Capcom) that's supposed to come out in the spring that I really would like for a conversion, so holding out for that atm.

Not sure if you would be able to use it with your mod, but if you haven't done so already, make sure to go on the arcade1up website and get a deck protector. It's free while supplies last, and who doesn't like free?!