Thread: Hello from Somerset, England

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Hello from Somerset, England

Hi all,

Well here's a tale and a half for you!

In 1999 I worked for a company called PCP, they were once an independent company spun out (as they would say nowadays) of an even older
    company called Peter Simper based in Bath, Somerset, England. Peter Simper 'missed the boat' when IC based machines came along and were
    still using relays right up to the early 80's. They pretty much just quietly faded out of existence, but did leave PCP and another related company.

Anyway, PCP once used to do 'rebuilds' - I'm not sure this is something you have / had in the US (I'm assuming this is a mainly US forum due to the 110V nature of the machines?)
    but this is where a machine made by a 'top tier' manufacturer would be stripped down and most of the electronic, mechanical parts and cabinet re-used but new glass
    and software added. So a 5 year old machine by 'Barcrest' that was a bit tired could get another 3-5 years of use as a completely different machine. PCP would make, convert,
    but also sell kits to renting companies to do their own conversions in their own workshops.

PCP was bought out by Electrocoin, another large UK company, but kind of an also-ran if I'm honest, and PCP continued not producing rebuilds but complete machines
    for export to European countries which were seen as a developing market in the early 90's.

Anyway, one thing trialled by Electrocoin, and developed by PCP, was the conversion of Pachislo machines to UK 10p currency with a £3 (300p) jackpot.
    PCP were responsible for converting some machines, and adjusting the software to suit UK laws.

I don't really know how well the project went, but I assume it was a failure. I have seen a couple of the machines on eBay over the years but never heard of one 'in the wild'.

In a rare bid of generosity, in 1999 (by the way I left PCP in 2000) they gave away a load of stuff from the stores to employees to get rid of rubbish.

I took 4(!) of the Pachislo machines which were in various states. To cut a long story short, I sold three of them about 2 years later, completely forgetting that
    I had given one to an old college friend.

I have just been given that 4th machine back, totally forgetting that I ever gave it to him and certainly never expecting him to still have it!

DSC_1358.JPGDSC_1359.JPG

This machine has UK software, but still has the original Japanese token mech (the more-complete conversions I sold had US made coin-comparators), modified hoppers,
    and in fact on this one a UK 10P won't even fit through the front bezel, probably a good thing as this site doesn't condone real money use!
    It's currently using Dave & Busters tokens, which by the way we had 2 over here for a few years, they are long gone now. There was a 3rd fully completed
    but never opened, what a waste!

As you can see some of the decals are missing but the UK top box with UK money is present - even though it's very much token only!

I haven't worked in the industry since 2000 btw and although I do now (only just) have a collection of UK style 'fruit machines' I don't know
    or keep in touch with anyone from those days. Plus, these types of machines are fairly rare over here hence me registering here.

Also I have no idea how Electrocoin were going to get over the 110V thing; other than literally bolting 2 together and wiring them in series
    I mean I know you can easily buy transformers but can't see the average arcade wanting them sat on the floor, there isn't enough room inside.
    Anyway, there we go. I have a bit of a hopper problem with mine right now, so will post about that elsewhere.

Bye for now!

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to datadiffusion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New member from UK

Hi all,

I wrote quite a lot about my machine, as it has a bit of a history, but it seems to have gone into the bin when I pressed post even though there were no errors...

DSC_1358.JPG

As you can see it is a Pachislo that was part of an experiment by Electrocoin UK back in the 90's, I assume the project failed.

I used to work for their PCP division back in 1999-2000, which is when i was given this exact machine which I got back into my hands last week.

I have had nothing to do with the industry since then btw

This one has UK software but the hopper and coin mech are original and only take tokens.

cheers for now,

Stuart.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Hello from Somerset, England

Waving Hello!

We do have a few active members in the UK, (myself included )

always nice to welcome another

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

5. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: New member from UK

don't worry your post didn't go in the bin, it was just awaiting moderation, I've merged it with this one

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

7. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hello Stuart and welcome to the group

I enjoyed reading your bio

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Peteybob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard

Great, another Brit
    Ian #UKPachinko

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Peteybob View Post
    Hello Stuart and welcome to the group

I enjoyed reading your bio
    Thanks - there is a full version, 'the PCP story' over on another site.

However, I noticed that this site has a PG rating advisory, and it's a little bit sweary.

So I'm not sure if a link would be acceptable or not...!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Nice to see another Brit on the forums.

Installed a few conversions, back in the day. So would be quite interested in 'the story'.

Can't see much of a problem hiding the 110v transformers, there's not much of a market for 'Bartop' style machines over here, all the fruit machines tend to be floor standing, so there's usually a black wooden (MDF or coated chipboard) box/cabinet under the nice shiny chrome machines that holds the PSU box and the lockbox for the operators take.

14. The following user says "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

WELCOME!!!

I always wondered what the story was with the Electocoin pachis that have shown up over the years!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

18. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    Nice to see another Brit on the forums.

Installed a few conversions, back in the day. So would be quite interested in 'the story'.

Can't see much of a problem hiding the 110v transformers, there's not much of a market for 'Bartop' style machines over here, all the fruit machines tend to be floor standing, so there's usually a black wooden (MDF or coated chipboard) box/cabinet under the nice shiny chrome machines that holds the PSU box and the lockbox for the operators take.
    Yes and I guess what Electrocoin were really wanting was simply a very cheap machine... and at the tail end of the nineties instead what we had generally (IMHO) were tons of machines that had lasted longer than they were ever meant to, effectively stiffling any new sales, clogging up the system so to speak, so I guess operators stuck with those tried and tested full AWP types. There is after all a reason that PCP was reborn as an export manufacturer in order to survive. I remember now walking into the JNC warehouse at Avonmouth whilst I was still working at PCP, but for personal reasons, and being offered nearly any near-mint MPU4 machine I wanted for pennies, many of which are now minor classics. At the time I just didn't have the room (plus I was off to uni), or would have probably gone on a proper spending spree!

Anyway, I've gone off topic, I should say the PCP story has little about the Pachislo story as it was before my very short 9 or so months with the company. I imagine given their flair for software (after all, when PCP finally finished it was only a software house) the sole PCP involvement may have been the programming and the spare machines were merely 'mules'.

But, with an 18-rating warning for swears, here is The PCP Story - https://www.fruitemu.co.uk/ib/index....arger-than-14/

20. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to datadiffusion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

We could talk each others' ears off about this. You're speaking my language exactly. John Stergeides (Owner of Electrocoin) went to Japan to try expanding and innovating his machines further, not long after launching his 'Bars and Xs' machine which we know the name of
    I've never played a Century 21, but had a few harsh sessions on a Magic 777 on 2p. It'd spit out coins for ages after bringing in 7s, on each spin. There was also a skill feature using the middle reel.
    The most 'converted' Machine for UK markets must have been Cherry Bar. There are a few of them floating around the seaside arcades. They also had a go at a pachinko IIRC but it really didn't work with the smaller payouts.

PCP had some good titles as well, great for passing the time. Something called Royal Line if I remember rightly. Spoof too. PCPs will be fondly remembered by me, even if only played in peoples' collections and rare guests in arcades
    Your man on the Pachi Frontline.

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to PekoJPF

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yep there certainly were a few decent PCP titles, not too sure about the 'Sunday Sport' spin off machine though, all before my time anyway. I had to battle with machines like La Lampara Magica (OK, that one is fairly obvious) and more esoteric Eastern European machines where I needed a cue card to work out what was going on! As you can read from the PCP Story (link before your post), there was meant to be a comeback - a UK clubber - but it never saw the light of day. Staff numbers dwindled, the business appeared to have ended up being merely a software house, and finished in the 2010's, though still to this day the offices are extant and seem to be owned by Electrocoin but rented out loosely converted as living accomodation.

Thanks for the extra info, as I say the project was before my time even if excising the stores of the leftovers were part of my remit!

24. The following user says "Thanks" to datadiffusion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sunday Sport was indeed around a bit. I've only seen it switched off, but it is emulated. Saved up for a big run.
    Your man on the Pachi Frontline.

26. The following user says "Thanks" to PekoJPF