Thread: What Happened?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default What Happened?

Why is it that every link I ever try to follow regarding Pachinko is no longer active? It seems so many big contributers to the community are MIA. Am I simply getting into a hobby most have gotten out of? Just curious, as the more I research, the more I find stuff/people who are missing/gone.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: What Happened?

i can think of a few long time
    members who used to post on here like they were getting paid to do it
    and then just stopped.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

3. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are probably a lot of different answers to your questions. Links to Craigslist and eBay expire, manufacturers update their sites as they release newer models and traffic to the older pages drops off, hobbyists move on or pass on and their websites expire, etc. I think more recently people are getting better about attaching photos to posts with links to auction sites so that when the links go dead there are still photos for reference.

There are just as many reasons for people becoming less active. I know one prolific poster is attending school and has little time, I know others that lost interest and sold their machines, and some are busy with work, family, etc. My job keeps me very busy, but I try to check in and catch up most days. Some may feel that most information is available through forum searches and if they don't have fresh content that there is no need to start another sticky about how to polish nails or whatever other thing.

I have only been collecting for about 3 years so I can't say how active the hobby was before then, but as with all things, sometimes people get excited early, immerse themselves in a hobby and after awhile start to lose interest when the next new thing comes along. I have a lot of surf fishing gear in my garage that hasn't been touched in a few years. My focus has changed a bit and I don't have the time I used to have available to pursue that hobby. Remember too, a lot of collectors probably got in because they were nostalgic for something from their early 1970s childhood when pachinko was all the rage with kids in the US. When their kids don't share the same excitement, the nostalgia wears off and now they just have 4 machines taking up room and collecting dust. For me, I find it great to have a forum like this to discuss pachinko and I've made some good friends here that I talk to regularly or go out to lunch with, so if the number of collectors is shrinking I just consider that there's a little less competition when that elusive machine pops up somewhere.

5. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Spyder138

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah, I totally understand that. I guess I am noticing a lot of this on other sites. Seems that 80% of sites that sell pachinko stuff just decided to stop and let their domains expire. Others are sold out of everything. It seems like things that were cheap and easy to buy online (like a plastic ball tray) are now impossible to find online from anyone other than a long time collector on this forum. I'm very grateful that Pachitalk exists, but I must admit it feels like this hobby space was booming 5-10 years ago and I missed the boat. (Looking at all the old threads on this site and links around the internet).

Thanks
    Thanks Received

5 10 years ago the economy was much better.. people had extra monies for extra things...

like posted above peoples interest change..

I for one an still interested pachinko.. but monies are tighter space is limted...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Also keep in mind these things are heavy and with all the animatronics in the new ones they dont travel well without special care and packing. Making them even more expensive.
    It cost a good amount to get them here as they all come from Japan.

Not 100% on this but wasnt there a change in some law about exporting them from Japan ? I do know Japan laxed their gambling laws a bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Howdy

I joined this site almost 12 years ago and yes the Vendors ( Or Drop-Shippers) of the Pachi's has been reduced to one really good Importer But if you are into the Vintage Pachinkos 1920-1980 some folks here can totally rebuild a machine for you for a price .

I have Vintage and Moderns Pachi's that I haven't touched in over 7 years cause of a nasty respiratory infection which is much better now Thanks a little to Green Tea and such but I try to log in here as often as I can just for the enjoyment of the worldwide community here .

I still love the Hobby but I want to Reduce My 10 Vintage pachinko's and my 20+ Modern Pachinko's , 5 Pachislo's to maybe a 5 machine collection .

My trouble is I don't Like to ship and Ebay has gotten too seller unfriendly Craigslist is Totally Out Of The Picture .

I was born and raised in Milwaukee,Wisconsin and from time to time I miss the old town .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

11. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

13. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57