Thread: Is my pachinko fried or able to be repaired

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Is my pachinko fried or able to be repaired

Hey Guys,
    brand new Aussie pachinko-er here. Great forum.
    i bought my first pachinko yesterday and wonder if I should bother trying to get it working or if it's dead.
    its an early modern nishijin and looking at the forum saw another similar one from 1993 I'll add some pics.
    basically it was advertised as not working and I bought it to hang on the wall just to look at. I have been to japan as loved plying it but has never thought is be able to get one in oz. when I saw it i had to have it.
    the guy I bought it of told me "now make sure you use 110v not 240v(which is our standard) if you try and repair it". He then went on to tell me the story about how when he bought he plugged it in to 110V and all the lights came on and it looked great for 1 second then it started popping and black smoke came out the back. He turned it of and it's been in the back shed ever since. He blamed it on the previous owner allowing it to get dusty.
    anyway within 5 minutes of getting it home it was clear that it is actually 24V. The sticker on the cord that says 24 should have given it away or if not the plate on the back saying ac24V.
    anyway my question is
    1) is there any point trying to repair it? Could it be an easy fix if I can isolate the fried part or is it likely to be mostly dead.
    2) if there is achance it works how should I go about starting testing it.
    is there a manual or circuit diagram which would be helpful.

i bought as purely display so if it's dead that's ok. I'm sure I could clean it up and get some lights and stuff working
    and it would look cool.

obviously if love to restore it but sometimes you got to know when to cut and run

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Therealmikepatton

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Is my pachinko fried or able to be repaired

WELCOME!!!

While not all can be saved, some games have been brought back to life after being fried!! I can't help you with electronic stuff, but there are members that should hopefully be along soon that should be able to help you out!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

4. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool sounds somewhat promising.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    here are the pics. hopefully they help

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Therealmikepatton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the way you describe it sound like ya have yourself a wall hanger.. to bad someone else could not read..

and of course

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yeah thought as much. It's annoying he fried it but he probably wouldn't have sold it if it was working and I would not have found out I could get pachinko in Aus. I'll try find a working one and then spend the next 20 years trying to fix this one as a passion project...

I will get a 24 V and plug it in and see what happens. There is an inline fuse in the power cord with a 20A fuse in it. This seems intact, 20A seems large is that correct or would the previous genius have changed it.

If I wanted to get the lights working do you think that would be pretty easy. Hopefully some of the lights and motors etc still function by themselves. If everything is fried I can probably replace the LEDs and hook up an ardiuno or something maybe for a light show

Thanks
    Thanks Received

don't give up just yet, sometimes a small part will short out to save the rest of the pachinko.

finding the fried part and replacing it may fix your problem
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am no electrician...so I can only offer encouragement. I have read many threads about people who have MASSIVELY overpowered their machines, and have been able to fix them. Usually, seems like a diode fails. Sometimes another component as well. It always seems like more time and effort than money! Stay tuned, someone with more knowledge than me will be along to offer advise!

12. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That's machine is in rough shape, It won't hurt to try and get it working, just be safe. Check any fuses that may be in line, the fact that he plugged it in and black smoke came out of it, tells me that a transistor, diode, or possible capacitor got fried. If you know how to solder you could replace the damaged piece(s), and that would probably be your best bet on getting it working again. Try to find the path from the transformer, that will possibly lead you to the damaged piece(s). It also has no glass/plexglass so you'll want to add that if you get it working.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I know little of moderns, but I do know electronics. First thing I see is a lot of connectors floating around not connected to anything. If you have a place to plug each one in, good. If not, something is missing.

Over voltage is a killer, but is shouldn't have gotten past the power supply. I don't know what type of supply they used in these things. If it was a simple transformer/regulator, you might be able to fix it. If it's some sort of switching supply, things get stickier.

If you know someone with some old school electronics knowledge, it might be saved. If not, take the cover off the power supply and look for the obvious. Bad news is, components could be damaged and not show any physical evidence of it. So even if you do change cooked parts, without some electronics troubleshooting knowledge, you could just let the magic smoke out of the new parts.

Best of luck to you.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92