Thread: First restoration effort for Nishijin Model A - need help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default First restoration effort for Nishijin Model A - need help

I have a Nishijin Model A which based on research appears to be an early 70s model which has been in our family since I was a kid. My plan is to restore this machine.

This machine is in poor shape. The chrome around the play area is heavily pitted, play area has water damage, tulips and spinners have rust.

For the chrome are there replacement parts or will I need to have the chrome rechromed?

Should I replace the background of the play area?

I also noticed this layout only has 2 tulips. I was wondering if this was some customization and this layout should include three tulips? If so, should I keep the play area the way it is, or correct and add an additional tulip?

Attached are a few pictures.P1140906.jpgP1140912.jpgP1140907.jpg

Any guidance is appreciated.

2. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to yarslair

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First restoration effort for Nishijin Model A - need help

first off

Welcome to Pachitalk

Second i dont think i have seen a machine that has tulips and pockets quite like that.. to keep it or change it??? thats a hard one

as for chrome your going struggle finding replacement exactly like that in good shape.. chroming can get expensive

Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

4. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Actually what you have there is a 1970-1971 front overflow. It looks to me like someone did some monkeying with it and stuck that secondary tulip on the left there. I have never seen any machine with asymetric tulip placement like that. It would be some heavy lifting to find a suitable replacement chrome frame, and you should be prepared to pay a pretty penny to get it rechromed. If you are determined that you want to restore this specific machine, 000 steel wool, SOS pads, and chrome polish will be your way to proceed.

Replacing the playfield is not easy.You have to pretty much strip the entire machine bare front and back to do that.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you're really going to "restore" the machine, then everything should be made to look as new as possible. This means replacing the background. It looks odd to have a clean machine with a stained/damaged background (cel).
    Chroming is very expensive and you'd be better off finding a parts machine with a nice chrome frame. There's plenty of donor machines out there. Same goes for the rusty tulips, and any other parts. There originally were 3 tulips and it won't be hard to find a replacement.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think an extra tulip was added. The hole behind the red tulip is small and round, like the hole behind the 2 green ones. I would remove the two tulips and compare the holes they are mounted in. The one in the center will be very smooth irregular shaped made by a machine. the one on the left??? If it looks different...jagged, series of holes drilled and chunked out, carved with a butter knife, etc. then it was added. If it looks the same as the center, then WOW...I have only seen 1 other vintage with asymetrical pockets.single ball spiderman 002.jpg I think the metal pocket got damaged, so the plastic one was added. Since all holes are the same, and none need to be any different, except for the center tulip...which is rusty, bent, straightened back out, then painted black and white! I can't remember what the screw holes were like behind it. Maybe that will tell the story. When I replace the cell, I'll probably put the top metal pocket on the left, and the plastic one at the top.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 07-28-2014 at 10:33 AM.

10. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks everyone for suggestions and guidance. As I am new to this type of restoration projects I am expecting a long process, slow and steady.

A few follow-up questions
    1. RE: Chrome frame- Will chrome polish cover the pits and scratch marks from the SOS pads? I agree regarding the expense of the rechroming. If I can't repair my next step is to attempt to source these materials.
    2. RE: I would like to stay with the existing play field background. I found a PDF with instructions on this process using a flat bed scanner which will be my plan. What are some of the challenges with this process.
    3. RE: Model/tulips. I checked the back of the machine (see attached). It appears the two tulip holes look the same, both appear to have a drill hole in upper left hand portion of the hole. Other than a few splinters the holes appear to be similar.

If this is he case, should I keep the same asymmetric style?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I only use 0000 steel wool to polish chrome with but the only way to really remove scratches is by using something abrasive but less abrasive than what caused the scratches and so on.
    As for replacing the cel, a flat bed scanner will certainly work but you can also remove the old cel in ideally one piece and then halve or quarter it. Scan that with a regular scanner and restitch and clean up the artwork digitally using paint.net which is free. Email that file to a sign shop and have them print it out on adhesive auto vinyl. They can also put a clear laminate on it for protection and then myself and others also add a final layer of adhesive mylar for even more protection. Make sure you completely sand flat the plywood backing before applying the new cel.
    To apply the cel:
    1-center the cel in the proper position on the plywood
    2-fasten either the top or bottom of the cel to the plywood with masking/scotch tape, taping the top and upper or bottom and lower sides
    3-peel off a couple inches of the cel backing on the untaped end and attach it securely to the plywood
    4-remove the tape and lay the cel back over the newly secured part and peel away more of the backing
    5-with a straightedge of some sort on top of the cel, slowly push the cel down evenly as you peel more backing away to eliminate wrinkles and air bubbles
    6-once cel is fully adhered, cut out the cutouts and then push air bubbles wrinkles out
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

A few more restoration questions.

1. Regarding cleaning small metal parts. I have recently purchased a tumbler after I clean the small metal parts is there any product I should use to reduce future rusting or corrosion?

2. As my play background is in bad shape I will need to replace the background. I will need to remove the existing nails. Is there a recommended process when adding the brass nails back? Should I add wood filler to the holders before nailing back the brass nails? Can I use a rubber mallet or other specialized hammer to add nails back?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by yarslair View Post
    A few more restoration questions.

1. Regarding cleaning small metal parts. I have recently purchased a tumbler after I clean the small metal parts is there any product I should use to reduce future rusting or corrosion?

2. As my play background is in bad shape I will need to replace the background. I will need to remove the existing nails. Is there a recommended process when adding the brass nails back? Should I add wood filler to the holders before nailing back the brass nails? Can I use a rubber mallet or other specialized hammer to add nails back?

Thanks
    If you want to reduce rust the best you can would be to put a coat of clear paint over the part. But if the piece is in a high use area forget it. Usually rerusting doesn't end up being a problem.

For the nails a lot of people will tell you multiple size prybars and some blocks of wood work best. I personally modified a corkscrew to pull them out but it is kinda pointless if your doing only one machine. Don't put any filler in any of the holes, otherwise you will never find them to put the nails back into. I'd recommend a brass headed hammer to put the nails back in. People will tell you differently but if you use the same metal on metal there is less chance of marking up the heads.

100 machines and counting...

16. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman