Thread: brought home "the one that got away" yesterday.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

The machine pictured is the last arrangeball I acquired and subsequently restored. This was a particularly labor intensive one and the results are outstanding but when I was done, I put off doing an LED conversion. Since we're talking about this now I decided to move forward after testing to see if the machine exhibited the glowing LED issue. Luckily it doesn't so I made an LED module similar to a design I've used for another a-ball. I bought a rod of delrin plastic to serve as a base and attachment point for the lights. I determined the length thru trial and error to position the LED the correct distance from the number plate.
    I cut the lengths of delrin and drilled a couple holes. The LEDs are warm white and the resistor (1/2 watt) attaches to the positive side and in effect becomes one "leg" of the diode. This assembly simply slips over the prongs coming off the circuit board in the same manner as the stock bulbs.
    total cost for the 25 modules needed for this machine is under a buck.
    One of the pics shows the black grid of chambers that each LED rests in. Its more evident I person but the edges of each square show signs of high heat from the past. The new replacements were left on for 10 minutes and barely got warm.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog