Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Bidding with FromJapan

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bidding with FromJapan

So I've been playing around on From Japan with the shipping calculator and the only shipping option it gives me on anything today is EMS. Yesterday I had more options but fedex wasnt showing up. Do you actually have to try to buy something to access those pretty sweet fedex rates or am I doing something wrong? For what its worth I'm entering 29Kg as the weight and 90x60x30 for the dementions.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just tried it too. Same response, so I changed the weight to 31kg, response was, option not available for your country (I put destination as USA)
    maybe try again later (Japanese Time)
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It does happed to be around 2:00 AM sunday there, so maybe it is affected by normal business hours?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Or maybe fedex are updating their prices
    Ian #UKPachinko

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I did try it to the UK, and it worked, tried the USA again and failed. So might be something their end. You could always drop them an email.
    Ian #UKPachinko

8. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Just to add to the thread in case it helps others.

Thought I'd treat myself, so I bought a pachislo that I've been wanting for a while (Re:ZERO) via FromJapan. The listing itself was on YJA and from a seller called "sizen565", who seems like a very experienced seller and has a high rating of 99.2% at the time of writing.

=====
    Costs
    =====

Charge 1

* Cost of the item - ¥33,999

TOTAL
    ¥33,999 which came to £260.44

Charge 2

* Domestic delivery charge - ¥5,900
    * Payment fee - ¥200
    * Plan fee - ¥300
    * Oversea shipping - ¥38,038. This was for Fedex International Priority. I'll have to measure the box once it arrives as I can't seem to find that anywhere. Weight was 42kg

TOTAL
    ¥44,438 which came to £340.40

Interestingly, I didn't see an option to double box, which I would have liked. I believe others said (in posts a few years ago) that there was an option to request this, but I didn't see anything.

Also concerning insurance, I did request the Buyer Protection. However FJ changed my plan to Basic Forwarding as a slot machine is considered a non-standard item.

Assuming I understand it correctly, I expect to pay an additional:

* Customs Duty - 2.5% on the above, which comes to ¥1,961 or £14.51
    * VAT - 20% on the above (including Customs Duty), which comes to ¥16,079 or £118.99

=========
    Timelines
    =========

* Fri 10 July - Won auction & payment made for charge 1, i.e. the item itself
    * Tues 14 July - Item arrived in FJ warehouse. I submitted shipping instructions
    * Wed 15 July - Item packed and I was notified of the final cost of charge 2. Payment made same day
    * Thurs 16 July - Packed shipped via Fedex International Priority
    * Mon 20 July - Delivery due before 12pm

As I say, I'll try and take measurements once it arrives (hopefully in one piece!). I'll also take some pics!

10. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Hodaka

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the update. I normally receive a letter from Fedex a couple of days later with the import duty.

They hide the box size on the page you select your shipping method along with the weight. Once you pass that page, You can't see the box size again
    Ian #UKPachinko

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Thanks for the update. I normally receive a letter from Fedex a couple of days later with the import duty.

They hide the box size on the page you select your shipping method along with the weight. Once you pass that page, You can't see the box size again
    That's good to know. Something to look forward to then... lol

Anyhow the package arrived today. Various details below:

Dimensions
    93 x 62 x 56

Weight
    42KG

Packaging
    For those wondering about the packaging (FromJapan) and condition of box after shipping (Fedex).

The slot was well packaged. It was double boxed and had ample bubble wrap. There was damage on the outer box, but the slot itself was undamaged due to good packaging. Various photos below. Sorry about the size of the images, I did try the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", but my images were too large (filesize).

The Machine Itself
    For those wondering about the seller "sizen565" on YJA.

The slot came with a ziplock bag containing 2 keys, and instructions for both the coinless board and some generic instructions on the machine itself. Both were in Japanese, as to be expected. The machine was pretty clean, other than the hopper, which was a little dusty.

There is some damage as to be expected from a used item, though obviously you'd prefer a pristine item! Notable bits of damage were:

* Scratch to the top right of the front face
    * Cigarette burn at the bottom, to the left of the coin tray or whatever you call it
    * Dead pixel! The above doesn't bother me as I'm sure it can be touched up if I ever want to in the future, but a dead pixel does bother me somewhat. You don't really notice it unless you know it's there (it's near the top of the screen), but yeah. A tad annoying.

I don't blame the seller at all for the above. It's just part of buying a used item remotely from a volume seller, i.e. luck of the draw.

Pics:

The machine also came with volume control installed (though it does have software control as well), as well as a coinless board. Personally, I think that installation job is a bit underwhelming as they're not secured to anything, i.e. they're just hanging there. Also they used electrical tape to insulate the variable resistors, rather than heat shrink, which I think looks a bit messy. I'll look to sort those myself in the near future.

Overall Experience
    Overall I am very pleased with the purchase. I think FromJapan packaged it well and shipped very quickly. The seller on YJA, i.e. "sizen565", shipped very quickly, which I appreciate a lot. Only minor gripe is that they could have done a tidier job in terms of the aftermarket electronics/mods inside the machine. It wouldn't deter me from purchasing from them in the future though, as it's easily rectifiable!

I hope that helps anyone looking to buy from FJ + JYA! Any questions let me know!

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Hodaka

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Congrats! Love the machine, got the same just a few hours back Done as well through fromjapan proxy service, super smooth and compared to other proxy services cheaper. I've used DHL, since the whole processing is faster to Switzerland then FedEx

Btw - my one got more love with the volume pod mod

Screenshot 2020-10-31 160539.png

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7