Thread: Sammy/Aristocrat/Rodeo Reel Lamp Replacements

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool Sammy/Aristocrat/Rodeo Reel Lamp Replacements

Hey guys.

So, been screwing about with the three Pachislo's I've got, and dealing with burned out lamps has been an issue.

I know that the reel lamps use a B8.5 base, T1-1/2 size, and are about 6.03 lumens at 12v, 0.05A. The lamps are in series, with 24vAC as the supply. Eiko calls these the 2721MF, and can be had for about $15/box of 10.

I puchased some white SMD wide-angle LED's on a B8.5 base off of eBay for my Animal Kingdom, as the reel lamps were all burned out, and this absolutely works, but you've got to do a lot of fiddling with the contact flanges. It sucks, but they actually look fantastic.

However, the original bases are quite nice and make great contact, so I wanted to re-use them.

So, I wanted to find out what lamp actually went into these. Come to find out, they are manufactured specifically for the 2721MF base, you can't buy them alone.

Taking the specs I found, I discovered that Eiko makes the #8640 lamp. 14v, T1-1/4 size, at 0.08A and 6.5 lumens, bare wire leads. These can be had for about $8 or $9 a box of 10, shipped.

Using that lamp, you can successfully replace the bulb in the MF bases originally in our Pachislo machines and they look great. However, their hot resistance is lower than the 2721MF, so you've got to replace them in pairs, otherwise the 2721MF originally in the machine will power-starve and only light up a little.

Pictures:

Here's what we start with.
    Then you can see the leads, tab-welded into place.
    We'll break those off, then remove the bulb.
    Next, install the bulb and pull the leads hard into the side-plate notches, to retain the leads.
    Now, trim the leads up to about here.
    To keep everything secure, shove the leads between the side-plates and the plastic housing.

As an aside, you can't solder to the tabs, it's all stainless. This is why the original leads were tab-welded, like they do with batteries.

Enjoy!
    My MAME Cabs: 4-Player 2-Player | See my Gameroom Blog for my Videogames/Pins!
    Pachislo: Sammy Gamera (Red), Animal Kingdom & Aladdin
    My Gameroom Blog | What Boards I Fix

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to WindDrake

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sammy/Aristocrat/Rodeo Reel Lamp Replacements

Just as an aside to anybody wanting to do LED's, you can totally use 3mm (or T1-1/4) LED's with integrated resistors designed for 12v Circuits in these holders. I haven't been able to find T1-1/2, and 5mm (T1-3/4) is too big with the flange. Without flange it'll fit.

When doing an LED, follow the same instructions, but make sure when you install them, you mark the polarity of the LED in some way so you install both in the same orientation. If you get the orientation wrong, both LED's won't light up, as one LED will rectify whatever it gets (AC to either Positive or Negative DC depending on installation) and the other LED will block it, as that rectified DC is the wrong polarity to forward bias (turn on) the LED.

That, or just install both, and if it doesn't work, flip one 180-Degrees. Done.

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to WindDrake

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by WindDrake View Post
    Just as an aside to anybody wanting to do LED's, you can totally use 3mm (or T1-1/4) LED's with integrated resistors designed for 12v Circuits in these holders. I haven't been able to find T1-1/2, and 5mm (T1-3/4) is too big with the flange. Without flange it'll fit.

When doing an LED, follow the same instructions, but make sure when you install them, you mark the polarity of the LED in some way so you install both in the same orientation. If you get the orientation wrong, both LED's won't light up, as one LED will rectify whatever it gets (AC to either Positive or Negative DC depending on installation) and the other LED will block it, as that rectified DC is the wrong polarity to forward bias (turn on) the LED.

That, or just install both, and if it doesn't work, flip one 180-Degrees. Done.
    Thanks for the tutorial! I actually may do this in the future.

Ive been searching for a few days now on replacement bulbs for a machine I just bought. I read in your post to use model 2721MF. Dude they are a perfect fit! I checked online and found them at my local auto store. They actually had one twin pack in stock. Took it home and installed them into my Hokuto no Ken reels, and they fit perfect.

I searched allot and I could not find a direct drop in model number anywhere accept here. Thanks for sharing man!
    Last edited by PachiPachi; 11-01-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    I am looking for a Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) Pachinko/Pachislo. If you have one for sale and are in the USA please let me know!
    Pachislo - Hokuto No Ken 2003 _ Pachinko - Evangelion
    7 2012 - Super Sea Story 2006

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As always, glad to help!

7. The following user says "Thanks" to WindDrake

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to buy a bunch of these!

Tested the lights the other day with a 9v battery connected to a radio **** 9v connector with stripped leads. Put them on the white housing connectors and some lit and some didn't. I did not realize they were in series until reading other posts tonight. Now I'm going to go put working pairs back in the board so they will light until I find the replacements! Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi guys- quick question - are the bulbs linked on the board in some way? I noticed my street fighter pachislo didn't light up in the upper block on the left reel, middle block in the middle reel and lower block in the right reel. Seems like an odd combination. Anyway, I tried taking out the working middle bulbs from the right reel and putting them into the bottom block and now the entire right reel won't light up Any ideas? Hope I didn't mess up the board as I would have no idea where to find a replacement. thanks in advance for your help and input!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey yfman!

I know your question is old. And I don't know if you ever got an answer. But it suddenly became interesting to me.
    I just recently acquired a Street Fighter II - Champion Edition. And none of the reels would light up at all. I just assumed that all the bulbs were bad, and were probably all 24v. Until I read this thread.
    It never occurred to me that the bulbs may be paired in series, and therefore 12v. So I did some checking, and it seems that is correct. However, it also raised more questions...
    I checked all 18 of my reel bulbs, and only found 4 that were still 'good'. So that would explain why none of the reels would light up. But what I can't figure out is what would make the bulbs blow out in pairs? I would think that if the bulbs were wired in series, that as soon as one bulb would blow, the other would then be in an open circuit and would just not light up anymore. With that assumption, I would have expected to have 9 of my 18 bulbs still be good.
    The only thing I can figure is when these bulbs blow, maybe they become shorted? With their small size, I guess this would be a possibility. However, none of the ones I tested still are shorted, if they ever were. They are either open, or working.
    Strange....
    Regardless, I just ordered 2 boxes from my local auto supply store. Time will tell when they arrive on Tuesday and I install them.

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to centauri61032