Thread: My new vintage machine- Dog Joe. But broken?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My new vintage machine- Dog Joe. But broken?

Here is a pic of the pachinko machine we just got, it is my first one and I don't know much about them.

The problem is that the bottom tulip doesn't close, it just stays open. The balls will build up all around the tulip. It seems like there is a piece that is sticking up inside of it, and I have to press it down with a screwdriver to close it manually.
    Not sure if I can fix it or get a replacement tulip.
    The date on the front says 53年6月 which means it was made in June 1978. Is this a common machine? I can't seem to find that kind of tulip.
    Everything else works properly though, the dog's ears move, the lights work, it pays out balls. But that one very bottom tulip doesn't close. It does open, however (and just stays open).

2. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to dogjoe

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My new vintage machine- Dog Joe. But broken?

WELCOME!!!

I don't know much about vintage, but I'm sure one of the vintage people will we by soon to help you out.. One thing you can do until then is post a picture of the back of your machine and more pics of the problem area..More pics is always better!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PT!!

Beautiful machine you have there. Doesn't look like it's been in a barn for 10 years. No dirt, no rust, no water stains, not faded. A great find.

Those tulips are really simple devices. If the balls are just building up around it, I'd say there is something jammed in it. There should be a rubber bumper just below the red dome in the upper right corner. See if it is there in tack. I had one get old and crumble. Pieces fell into the tulips and jammed it up. Or someone may have run the wrong size ball into the thing and jammed it. If so, maybe you can fish it out with a magnet. If you see balls down in it, step one is to get them out, then look for the cause.

Best of luck.
    pachinkoparts.com - Home Page
    Definition: Racecar-a device that turns money into noise.

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What a great looking machine. Looks new! Just needs a pin cleaning to be a museum piece.
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I had a problem with one of my tulips, it turns out the metal lever inside it had bent to the point where it would stick open. I can't tell from your pic, but mine had 4 small screws holding it in. I took it out and sat down with it and a ball. I bent the tabs 20 different ways before I got the ball to fall through it perfectly. It takes a little bit of patience, but it's well worth it!

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Vegasjetta

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is the tulip held on with nails, or screws? If screws, then it is easy to remove it and inspect. If nails, a little harder...and you use tiny screws to reattach it (I have reused the nails, but it is never as tight as it was). Like stated earlier, they are simple devices, I can't imagine anything wrong that you couldn't identify and fix!Nice chrome...nothing else 003.jpg Here is one that I was having problems with. The piece next to it is from another tulip, it is the brass ramp that opens and closes it, using the two prongs to flip the orange parts. I suspect your prongs are bent too close together...or too far apart. unless they are plastic.

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Is the tulip held on with nails, or screws? If screws, then it is easy to remove it and inspect. If nails, a little harder...and you use tiny screws to reattach it (I have reused the nails, but it is never as tight as it was). Like stated earlier, they are simple devices, I can't imagine anything wrong that you couldn't identify and fix!Nice chrome...nothing else 003.jpg Here is one that I was having problems with. The piece next to it is from another tulip, it is the brass ramp that opens and closes it, using the two prongs to flip the orange parts. I suspect your prongs are bent too close together...or too far apart. unless they are plastic.
    Exactly as he said, too close together or too far apart. If too close together, the ball will get stuck after pushing the lever down (closing the tulip), if too far apart the ball will fall through the metal tabs and the tulip won't close properly, and more balls will get jammed up in it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That model has small screws holding the tulip on. The inside ramp on that tulip is plastic.

Could be a lot of things. Most common problem with that tulip is one, lone, pachinko ball impersonator that is too big to fit...

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to CarlW

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk

You do have a 1978 Sankyo Dog Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by browne92 View Post

Beautiful machine you have there. Doesn't look like it's been in a barn for 10 years. No dirt, no rust, no water stains, not faded. A great find.
    The background is in nice shape because it is printed on formica. So they never got water stains and they barely faded. But you don't want to pull the pins unless you plan on scraping off the formica and put a new background on. (perfectly fine to take out screws on the tulips though)

Dogjoe - If you have any further questions feel free to ask. And do post some pictures of the tulip and the back when you get a chance. And once again welcome to PT.

-Max

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it has to be the tabs or something stuck inside it..

most important

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!!!

That is really nice looking machine you have.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Card Shark View Post
    Welcome to PachiTalk!!!

That is really nice looking machine you have.
    Thanks everyone! My tulip is working now. I didn't do anything, just played it the next day and it's working fine.
    here is a video of it in action!
    Dog Joe Pachinko Machine - YouTube

the jackpot light works as well as the top left big light for when it's out of balls. But I've never seen the top right light come on, what's it for?

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to dogjoe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There is no light in the upper right as it is behind the tray making it annoying to service so they didn't add one.

Posted using Tapatalk

100 machines and counting...

20. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

May I suggest a very, very small amount of Loctite gel superglue (Loctite is a superior brand) on the end of the nail? I had some loose nails on a machine, albeit, not holding in a tulip, and got them to stay in tight with this. Make sure they are straight-- use new ones, if possible.

Also, there are pry blades made of polymer for working on tablets and iPads that give just a little and don't scratch. You might try prying just a little with that, then going to vise grip pliers to get the nails out, to avoid scratching the cell.

Again, my experience is limited to removing loose nails in order to tighten them, or bent ones in order to replace them with straight.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to RivkahChaya

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm typically not a Sankyo fan, but that appears to be a really, really nice machine.
    I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"I'm not addicted to Pachinkos. I can quit at any time. Did I tell you about the three machines that I have on the way?"

That reminds me of when Tallulah Bankhead insisted something (alcohol, IIRC, but it may have been something else) was not addictive because she had quit several times-- coming from Ms. Bankhead, though, it was probably intended as a joke.