Thread: Just picked up this Heiwa, need info

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Just picked up this Heiwa, need info

It has all kinds of things and markings. It works 100%, which is awesome. I played it for an hour as I started to get ADHD. The lights and balls and even an LCD screen with stuff on it! WHOA! What a difference from my 1976 Nishijin...

Anyway, I don't know what year this is, or what the games are that play on the LCD because it's all in Japanese.
    When I got it, the guy I bought it from explained that the ball shooter knob wouldn't work unless you were simultaneously touching the metal frame around the glass. To me, that's VERY odd. When I got it home, sure enough, he was right. This needed to be fixed, but HOW? There's so much going on behind it, that I was scared to even take pictures of the back... Well I found two little knobs that said "ball shooter control sensor", and tried to see what they did. Well one thing it did was fix it so I didn't need to be touching the frame anymore, so I left it alone.

Questions:
    What does the digital counter and reset button on the back do?
    What is the potentiometer next to the speaker for (volume? I didn't want to touch it)?
    The yellow rectangle just under the middle thing opened and balls went in during play, and the payouts were huge. What did I do and how do I do that again?
    In the one pic of the LCD scree, yellow background, one guy about to jump on the other, there's writing. What does it say?
    And finally, what is this thing worth?

Here's some pics, and below is a link to the video I took of my 3.5year old playing it.

IMG_0597_zps4e76890d.jpgIMG_0602_zpsc40724e7.jpgIMG_0605_zps35c46613.jpgIMG_0588_zps0ba9b12c.jpgIMG_0604_zps4849c257.jpg

Here's what was playing when that yellow screen was on:
    IMG_0594_zps7bcea468.mp4 Video by Mainebarter | Photobucket

Here's my kid playing:
    IMG_0607_zpsf31b4c8e.mp4 Video by Mainebarter | Photobucket

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Vegasjetta

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Just picked up this Heiwa, need info

It appears to be one of the 1998 'Lupin the Third' machines, but I can't find a link to any of the Japanese pachinko database sites with the same background artwork as your one, so I don't know which version it is.

CR¥ë¥Ñ¥ó»°À¤K shows the 1998 version has the same plastics round the video screen, so it's likely to be a similar age to this one. If you look at the back of the machine there's likely to be a label with the Japanese characters 'ルパン三世' on it with possibly a 'CR' in front and another letter following it. These letters should let you know which version it is.

The LED display on the back is most likely an error code display, and the reset button is to reset any errors.

The potentiometer could be a volume control. Most potentiometer volume controls were added after manufacture, so if it looks like it wasn't original equipment, then it's very likely to be a volume control.

The yellow rectangle opens after you match three symbols on the 'reels' on the screen, and is the bonus or 'fever' round.

The writing on the screen says 'Error' probably caused by running out of balls in the upper tray, or letting the lower tray fill up too much. Some machines also show an error screen if you get into a fever round and don't shoot enough balls into the large rectangular pocket.

4. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post
    It appears to be one of the 1998 'Lupin the Third' machines, but I can't find a link to any of the Japanese pachinko database sites with the same background artwork as your one, so I don't know which version it is.

CR¥ë¥Ñ¥ó»°À¤K shows the 1998 version has the same plastics round the video screen, so it's likely to be a similar age to this one. If you look at the back of the machine there's likely to be a label with the Japanese characters 'ルパン三世' on it with possibly a 'CR' in front and another letter following it. These letters should let you know which version it is.

The LED display on the back is most likely an error code display, and the reset button is to reset any errors.

The potentiometer could be a volume control. Most potentiometer volume controls were added after manufacture, so if it looks like it wasn't original equipment, then it's very likely to be a volume control.

The yellow rectangle opens after you match three symbols on the 'reels' on the screen, and is the bonus or 'fever' round.

The writing on the screen says 'Error' probably caused by running out of balls in the upper tray, or letting the lower tray fill up too much. Some machines also show an error screen if you get into a fever round and don't shoot enough balls into the large rectangular pocket.
    I will look for those version symbols on the back when I go out to the garage.
    The error screen came up after that rectangle closed, so I am guessing that was the error. At the same time though, the tray filled up, so who knows. Either way, it's tons of fun!

Is the plexiglass normal for these, or should it have real glass? The outside of the plexi still has the protective plastic on it, which is yellowed and hard to see through. I may pull that off today. I'd like to get another piece of that plexi for my other machine, where's the best place to get that?

Here's a pic of the potentiometer next to the speaker, looks like it's an afterthought, kinda sketchy:
    IMG_0598_zps874c227e.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the pot meter looksl like a volume control but not like one i have ever seen... starnge one

plexi or glass... that has been a long standing debate here... i like glass on the back slot and plexi out front.. for the simple reason of little children.. like get all worked up or frustrated and start banging on things.. i would fell so bad if they got hurt on a broken pice of glass..

why glass at all then??? i like the sound it makes as the ball clang into it...

nice machine looks like your hooked
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    the pot meter looksl like a volume control but not like one i have ever seen... starnge one

plexi or glass... that has been a long standing debate here... i like glass on the back slot and plexi out front.. for the simple reason of little children.. like get all worked up or frustrated and start banging on things.. i would fell so bad if they got hurt on a broken pice of glass..

why glass at all then??? i like the sound it makes as the ball clang into it...

nice machine looks like your hooked
    I agree with the sound of the glass. Can't tell if this Heiwa uses two panes line my Vintage Nishijin though.
    As for hooked, I was hooked in 98 when I had 10 vintage machines all lined up in my apartment! I took at (long) hiatus because of life, and these two just happened along at the right time.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to Vegasjetta

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok so the potentiometer is DEFINITELY for the volume. I turned it up a little, or so I thought. WOW that thing is loud!
    I took the plastic film off the plexi, and it looks so much better overall.
    Now for some questions that I tried to find answers for in the FAQ and such:

The payouts are 6 & 10 & 14 (that's what those numbers mean, right?) The center that starts the reels going pays out 6, the chutes all the way at the bottom pay out 10, but where's the 14?

What does the $ symbol do when the ball passes through it? I notice that it starts the LED counter and there are 4 marker lights. Each time a ball passes through the $ thing, another red LED lights up, but nothing happens after that. I thought maybe it would pay out something at one point?

On the back, there is the ball shooter control sensor. What exactly does that do?

Am I correct to assume that the ball shooter knob is force sensitive? As in, if I turn it slightly, it shoots the ball softly, and if I turn it all the way, it shoots the ball harder? Would the ball shooter control sensor alter that? It seems that at any position, the balls get shot hard and only play on the right half of the board.

Also, can someone explain to me when that trap door will open again? I played this thing for an hour straight trying to get that to happen again and it never popped open!

New pics from today:
    IMG_0627_zps2756ad34.jpgIMG_0625_zps14cc95ef.jpgIMG_0624_zpse772ea74.jpgIMG_0620_zps28449f26.jpgIMG_0618_zps1f115ccf.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasjetta View Post
    Now for some questions that I tried to find answers for in the FAQ and such:

The payouts are 6 & 10 & 14 (that's what those numbers mean, right?) The center that starts the reels going pays out 6, the chutes all the way at the bottom pay out 10, but where's the 14?
    14 will be payout for each ball in the "trap door" per your parlance during jackpot. Usually a set number of balls max per round during jackpot, certain number of rounds. Usually like 15 rounds, 8 balls in each, payout of 14... blah blah... do the math

What does the $ symbol do when the ball passes through it? I notice that it starts the LED counter and there are 4 marker lights. Each time a ball passes through the $ thing, another red LED lights up, but nothing happens after that. I thought maybe it would pay out something at one point?
    No payout... it starts a randomizer that when it hits a certain place will open the wings on the start pocket to make it easier to get in. In post-jackpot "chance" rounds, this will happen much more often than in normal play. Anyway, you should see the wings pop open now and then...

On the back, there is the ball shooter control sensor. What exactly does that do?

Am I correct to assume that the ball shooter knob is force sensitive? As in, if I turn it slightly, it shoots the ball softly, and if I turn it all the way, it shoots the ball harder? Would the ball shooter control sensor alter that? It seems that at any position, the balls get shot hard and only play on the right half of the board.
    Yes... there should be a control potentiometer or two (small ones? not sure - don't have a heiwa this age) back there to set the touch of the metal ring on the shooter and the strength of the shooter. Try adjusting it. You should be able to shoot through the full range of the board easily. Ideally - all the way clockwise = hitting right side, all the way counterclockwise = not quite making it out. Just remember where it was at the beginning and put it back if you mess things up.

Also, can someone explain to me when that trap door will open again? I played this thing for an hour straight trying to get that to happen again and it never popped open!
    During the jackpot... it may take a while... but the start will roll the numbers on the LCD until you get all three somehow (again... don't have this machine) and then it will go through x number of rounds with the trap door open... as described above.

have fun!
    Last edited by Chumsize; 10-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Woof!

12. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow that's some awesome info, thanks Chum!

As for the settings, here's what those look like. What does what? You say "to set the touch of the metal ring on the shooter and the strength of the shooter", I understand what the strength means, but what does "the touch of the metal ring" mean?
    IMG_0604_zps4849c257.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow that's some awesome info, thanks Chum!

As for the settings, here's what those look like. What does what? You say "to set the touch of the metal ring on the shooter and the strength of the shooter", I understand what the strength means, but what does "the touch of the metal ring" mean?
    IMG_0604_zps4849c257.jpg
    this solved your original problem

touch of the metal is how good of cantact is required to make the shooter work.. (im a vintage guy) but the adjust one way will make it where you have to touch the frame.. turn it further that way and it wont work at all.. turn it back all the way the other direction and i would guess you would not have to touch the metal at all..

for me its one of thouse if it aint broke dont fix it.. and you seem to have fixed yours
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

15. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I notice that it starts the LED counter and there are 4 marker lights. Each time a ball passes through the $ thing, another red LED lights up, but nothing happens after that. I thought maybe it would pay out something at one point?
    i did not see a reply for this..

the machine will bank or save 4 spins from the start pocket "$" as you call it..

if ya watch when you have a few of the lights lite stop shooting and watch them count down as each spin starts..

17. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    this solved your original problem

touch of the metal is how good of contact is required to make the shooter work.. (im a vintage guy) but the adjust one way will make it where you have to touch the frame.. turn it further that way and it wont work at all.. turn it back all the way the other direction and i would guess you would not have to touch the metal at all..
    What would be the purpose of this system? That makes no sense! Crazy Japanese!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There should be a metal ring around the shooter knob.Your hand must remain in contact with it to ground the shooter circuit. This is an anti cheat feature to prevent people from wedging a coin or something in the knob to fire automatically, thus being able to work several machines at once. I have never seen one where you have to touch the frame. If no ring around the knob...then maybe this was how it was done before???

20. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok NOW that makes sense. Here's a zoomed in pic of the knob. I am guessing the metal on front and the metal ring that you actually turn need to have contact for it to work? I have that sensor almost off, so I can touch it with one finger and it works.

IMG_0627_zps63cc24fc.jpg

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Vegasjetta

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The ring in question can be seen at the 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock position. If your shooting grip touches this ring...you shouldn't have to touch the frame.

24. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall