Thread: Bought Taiyo King Kong pachi, arrived w/ motor broken, mildew, & I need help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unhappy Bought Taiyo King Kong pachi, arrived w/ motor broken, mildew, & I need help

I just got a 2007 King Kong pachinko made by Taiyo and within 1 hour of testing the machine, the motor started grinding loudly and the drive gear suddenly would not turn. I had removed a few screws to clean the mildew-infested ramps and jackpots and thought maybe a screw had fallen into the ball launching gear system. However, after dissecting and reassembling the ball launching system, there were no foreign objects found in the assembly, the wiring // electrical contacts appeared in decent shape, but the motor could barely turn enough to activate the ball launcher. I decided to separate the motor from the launch assembly and run it by itself on on the pachinko. I first tested the motor without electricity, finding that the wheel had a grinding sensation and that it turned without resistance. However, when the motor was run, it did not always turn the gear and was quite noisy compared to other electronic pachinko motors that I have heard.

At this point, my most likely diagnosis is a burned-out motor. I am trying to find where I can get a new Taiyo motor (English only, please! I don't understand a word of Japanese!) and what this would likely cost me including shipping to the United States.

Last, because this was purchased on ebay, I realize that I have some protection. This is (well... was) a fun machine and I would rather avoid the hassle of re-crating it to send back for a refund. The seller, a well-known pachinko and slot machine resaler, said that this was the last of the machines in a lot he purchased a while back from Japan. He added that the warehouse was experiencing heavy rain, moisture, and although the machine did not have signs of water // flood damage, I am pretty certain this could have killed the motor and filled the inside tracks with mildew.

Notes // Questions regarding the refund:
    ---I paid approximately $450 for the machine.
    ---Would it be appropriate to ask for a refund equal to the cost of a motor replacement?
    ---What would be reasonable to ask for on a refund request for 4 hours of labor to clean and fix the machine?

Notes // Questions regarding what the Japanese buttons say:
    ---What are the two Japanese character buttons to the right of the red Chance button?
    ---What does the Chance button do? Does it spin the slot machine reels on the display?
    ---What does the switch do to the right of the volume control? Does this affect the odds on winning on the slot machine bonus program?
    ---Is there a debug screen on the machine where I can adjust odds, volume, or other factors (ie balls won vs balls lost back to machine)?

Notes regarding the Wake-the-Dead volume control system:
    ---Where can I find instructions on making a working volume control system? I turned the machine to silent, but a loud Japanese woman's voice always shouts some sorta gibberish when I turn the machine on or when I open the door // have an empty ball tray. I can only assume she is shouting in my ears that the machine is out of balls, the doors are open with the machine being out of service, or that she is yelling that the machine is turned on (she definitely does not say King Kong on start-up)

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Bought Taiyo King Kong pachi, arrived w/ motor broken, mildew, & I need help

Quote Originally Posted by Cheverisi View Post
    At this point, my most likely diagnosis is a burned-out motor. I am trying to find where I can get a new Taiyo motor (English only, please! I don't understand a word of Japanese!) and what this would likely cost me including shipping to the United States.
    Well that sucks.. If the dealer doesn't have parts the only way to get a motor is either find another person with a broken pachi in the same frame that they are parting out or try to find a frame or parts on Yahoo Japan.. So, it usually just involves luck and patience..

Last, because this was purchased on ebay, I realize that I have some protection. This is (well... was) a fun machine and I would rather avoid the hassle of re-crating it to send back for a refund. The seller, a well-known pachinko and slot machine resaler, said that this was the last of the machines in a lot he purchased a while back from Japan. He added that the warehouse was experiencing heavy rain, moisture, and although the machine did not have signs of water // flood damage, I am pretty certain this could have killed the motor and filled the inside tracks with mildew.

Notes // Questions regarding the refund:
    ---I paid approximately $450 for the machine.
    ---Would it be appropriate to ask for a refund equal to the cost of a motor replacement?
    ---What would be reasonable to ask for on a refund request for 4 hours of labor to clean and fix the machine?
    If it were me I think I'd be trying to get a full refund?? Guess I'm not being very helpful..

Notes // Questions regarding what the Japanese buttons say:
    ---What are the two Japanese character buttons to the right of the red Chance button?
    ---What does the Chance button do? Does it spin the slot machine reels on the display?
    ---What does the switch do to the right of the volume control? Does this affect the odds on winning on the slot machine bonus program?
    ---Is there a debug screen on the machine where I can adjust odds, volume, or other factors (ie balls won vs balls lost back to machine)?
    Without pics I'll take my best guess at what buttons you are talking about!!

My guess is the 2 buttons would be the ball loan buttons.. They won't do anything in home use unless you have one of member Daverob's dongles that will make these buttons function again..

The chance button will do different things depending on the machine.. Usually something will come up on the screen telling you to push it, theoretically giving you some sort of better chance at winning maybe..

Not sure what switch you are talking about.. The most common things on the back of a pachinko are the power switch, useless volume switch, reset button for clearing errors and sometimes knobs for adjusting shooter strength and sensitivity.. There's no way to adjust the odds on a pachinko..

No such screen exists as far as I'm aware..

Notes regarding the Wake-the-Dead volume control system:
    ---Where can I find instructions on making a working volume control system? I turned the machine to silent, but a loud Japanese woman's voice always shouts some sorta gibberish when I turn the machine on or when I open the door // have an empty ball tray. I can only assume she is shouting in my ears that the machine is out of balls, the doors are open with the machine being out of service, or that she is yelling that the machine is turned on (she definitely does not say King Kong on start-up)
    I've never installed volume controls but it usually just involves attaching or soldering (depending on the type of volume control) a volume control to one of the speaker wires..On each speaker..

Sorry I couldn't be more help.. Hopefully someone more helpful will be along soon to help you out!!

Good luck!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bought Taiyo King Kong pachi, arrived w/ motor broken, mildew, & I need help

Sorry to hear you have a faulty machine

I think I'd have to agree with MrGneiss and say if it were me, then I would be looking for a FULL refund

that way you can try and buy a working pachinko,

So little in the way of spares exist that you may be waiting a long time to get the part(s) you need, it would just be down to luck in finding anyone with that part from another 'parts' machine or buying another frame (if you can find one) on YJA

But perhaps other members with more technical knowledge than I, can offer more help / advice

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

5. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Bought Taiyo King Kong pachi, arrived w/ motor broken, mildew, & I need help

I would definitely look for a full refund. If there is some sort of water / moisture damage causing the problem, I would suspect that it will develop other problems as well.

I have not had to search for parts for a modern machine as of yet other than a new lock cylinder. The only place I had any luck there was on YJA and a big thanks goes to Drunkenclam for spotting the lock cylinders for me.

Installing volume controls is very easy. I use these on all my machines...

Volume Controls for Pachislo Slot Machine and Pachinko | eBay

You will need one for each speaker and they require no soldering to install. Other members have mentioned these as they are less expensive and the soldering required is very easy...

6 Volume Controls for Pachislo Slot Machine Pachinko | eBay

Just depends on what you are comfortable with or if like me, you are just lazy.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do with the machine.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Cheverisi View Post
    ... the motor started grinding loudly and the drive gear suddenly would not turn. I had removed a few screws to clean the mildew-infested ramps and jackpots and thought maybe a screw had fallen into the ball launching gear system. However, after dissecting and reassembling the ball launching system, there were no foreign objects found in the assembly, the wiring // electrical contacts appeared in decent shape, but the motor could barely turn enough to activate the ball launcher. I decided to separate the motor from the launch assembly and run it by itself on on the pachinko. I first tested the motor without electricity, finding that the wheel had a grinding sensation and that it turned without resistance. However, when the motor was run, it did not always turn the gear and was quite noisy compared to other electronic pachinko motors that I have heard...
    I am not saying that this is your problem, but my first exposure to a stepper motor was that there was something seriously wrong with it. It made a weird grinding like noise when it was spinning, and when I turned the shaft by hand, it felt as if the bearings were shot. I later learned that this was normal for a stepper motor. And the one I thought was questionable was in excellent condition. I don't know if your pachinko has a stepper motor as a shooter motor. It might very well have one.

Also, most modern pachinkos are designed to only permit a human hand to activate the shooter, that a stick, rubber band, block or prop of some sort cannot shoot the balls. Sure, the knob will turn, but the shooter will not fire unless an ungloved hand is turning the knob. There is a circuit that adjusts the sensitivity of this feature. Perhaps that is a little out of whack?

You say there is a lot of mildew. If there is mildew on any circuits, it will affect their performance. The mildew will conduct electricity where it is not supposed to go.

And the very basics to be covered as well, is the transformer for the USA, or for Japan?
    Da' Horse!

Don't F with Pachinko Machines, Man !

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think this may be a stepper motor. I opened the motor up inside and it looked to be in good shape. I thought there were ball bearings inside like you mentioned and will give this a try.

For sensitivity, it may have to do with the switch beside the volume adjuster. I figure worse comes to worst that it may just be a stepper motor.

When I bought the pachinko, it came with an American transformer. I have no idea how to repair these and if that is the problem, this newb to pachinkos always appreciates advice!

I emailed Taiyo for a replacement motor last night and am hoping they still make these, but realize that I may have just gotten screwed over my "new to me" machine that I purchased

Quote Originally Posted by heima View Post
    I am not saying that this is your problem, but my first exposure to a stepper motor was that there was something seriously wrong with it. It made a weird grinding like noise when it was spinning, and when I turned the shaft by hand, it felt as if the bearings were shot. I later learned that this was normal for a stepper motor. And the one I thought was questionable was in excellent condition. I don't know if your pachinko has a stepper motor as a shooter motor. It might very well have one.

Also, most modern pachinkos are designed to only permit a human hand to activate the shooter, that a stick, rubber band, block or prop of some sort cannot shoot the balls. Sure, the knob will turn, but the shooter will not fire unless an ungloved hand is turning the knob. There is a circuit that adjusts the sensitivity of this feature. Perhaps that is a little out of whack?

You say there is a lot of mildew. If there is mildew on any circuits, it will affect their performance. The mildew will conduct electricity where it is not supposed to go.

And the very basics to be covered as well, is the transformer for the USA, or for Japan?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I realize what I may have accidentally done to my pachinko creating a problem with the motor. First, I dissected the motor to look within the main assembly and saw that all the parts within were in good shape and undamaged. Second, I examined the wires and pins connecting the launcher motor to the main pachinko circuit board, which were all in working order.

The problem is that I accidentally got poisoned by a large dose of Dammital (Trademark of %&*#@!!! Pharmaceuticals ) washed down with a large bottle of Stupid brand electronic part curiosity drink. I believe the accident I did was to pull out the sealed rubber over the back card dongle plug, thinking that the dealer had filled the slot with rubber and potentially damaging the machine (I did not realize until seeing the information on this site that many people simply insert fuses into the card plug on the back to bypass the motor disabling unit!). which may have dislodged some fuses that were meant to bypass a normally working card reader that would enable the launcher motor to function. At this point, my next step has been to buy a modern pachinko card emulator dongle with a card reader. If this solves my problem, I will plan to close this technical support ticket. Wish me luck on this as the motor replacement may have been a harder to access repair versus buying an actual card reader dongle for the back to enable the launcher motor!
    Last edited by Cheverisi; 09-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to Cheverisi