Thread: "Cleaning" or "restoration" - how badly am I infected?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question "Cleaning" or "restoration" - how badly am I infected?

So, as I've said before... I bought this grimy, non-working machine for $15. Once I started inspecting it and seeing how it worked - it's all nifty balances and gravity and mechanical linkages - I think my brain skipped past "cleaning" and went to "restoration".

Now I'm afraid.

I've completely disassembled the rear panel. Some of the springs are rusty and will need to be replaced. The plastic is grimy and will get scrubbed with soapy water. There's a threaded rod that (I think) adjusts the length of the jackpot payout linkage. The nuts and springs that operate the glass latches are corroded and will need to be cleaned and/or replaced. The entire thing needs to be lubricated. All the metal needs to be Brasso'd. The plexiglass front glass has scratched and might get replaced. The electrics are shot and will be replaced with LEDs. It's going to need a cabinet. I'm thinking about how to build an automatic ball lifting/refilling mechanism. I know I can have any broken plastic parts 3D printed at Shapeways.

Am I totally screwed? Did my impulse purchase just become an obsession? Is there any help for me? Or am I already doomed?

-Dito

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to bundito