Thread: Tom and Jerry Help

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Tom and Jerry Help

Hello everyone.

I just acquired a Tom and Jerry. The machine is AWESOME. It does have a problem however(and I was well aware at the time of purchase), and I was hoping to get help from someone else who has this machine. Tom's head won't retract. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with modern things like this. It really isn't that big of a deal to me, but if I could get it to work, this machine would be cherry.

THANKS!
    Adam

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Tom and Jerry Help

Your best bet is too remove the cel and place it face door on a soft cloth on a table and start stripping it down. Something has probably come ajar in transit. The star wars vader mask was known for doing the same thing. Cels do come apart quite easily. Just take pictures as you go and mark the wiring. All you should need is a small Phillips screwdriver. Someone's got to be the first to do it
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds like you bought Jodini's Tom and Jerry. He had that issue. Shouldn't be a hard fix, especially if there is no ominous noises coming from the machine. These machines were extremely over engineered considering they only were rated for a year life span in a pachinko parlor. Kind of humbling when you see the quality of workmanship that these machines have compared to what "passes" for quality here in the US.

We taught them quality manufacturing in the 50's and now they put US manufacturing to shame.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

5. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

well.. that was scary. I took out the cell and started to take things out. I took pictures and everything, but I had trouble trying to take the whole harness off. Which, unfortunately is required in order to get to the head mech. I decided that today is definitely not the day to do that. I put it all back together. It runs just like it did before. I was afraid it wouldn't... So, we will see. Maybe Monday.

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Amedbery

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Opus. I did buy it from Jodini. He lives maybe 25 minutes away. He explained what was wrong before I bought it, so no harm done. I can definitely live with it, but if I can fix it, it'd be awesome.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

sometimes its always best to step back and look thing over.

at least now you know how to get started and built up your confidence some
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

10. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hey Stranger!

I hope you get it fixed. It would be cool to see the head go up and down...and not just down. There is a coil spring in there too...and I guess you tired to tighten that up. Like I said before, you can hear the motor working. Notice when we popped out the cell Adam and put it back in, everything moved in full motion, like the machine was resetting itself. When the machine just powers up...everything moves just a tad. Reason I mention that is it would be a good test to check things out in full motion.

Other than that...it's beyond me. Too many things to break and screws are too small for me! I'm switching to pinball!

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

So now we know the reason for the fire sale. A pinball machine is about 10 times more expensive. I would love to be able to afford pinball machines but I don't have that type of money. Also a pinball machine in a 3rd story apartment is not an easy thing.

Pachinko in my case is poor mans pinball.

Congrats on your new hobby. Nice that you can get into that.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Stuck in Podunk, Ne and long to move back to Southern Ca.
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Amedbery View Post
    well.. that was scary. I took out the cell and started to take things out. I took pictures and everything, but I had trouble trying to take the whole harness off. Which, unfortunately is required in order to get to the head mech. I decided that today is definitely not the day to do that. I put it all back together. It runs just like it did before. I was afraid it wouldn't... So, we will see. Maybe Monday.
    Well that's a very wise thing you just said about working with some things. I learned a long time ago that some days nothing seems to fall into place and work for me no matter how long and hard I try. I learned to put those projects down and forget about them till another day!
    On the opposite side I also have some days that absolutely everything I touch seems to turn to gold. On those days I try to get as much done as possible because it may be a while for one of those days to surface again for awhile. Good luck ...You'll get it!
    Spiderman-Sinbad-Ultraman P/P-Onimusha-Gamera-Juggler-Onoki-Gundam-Hanabi-Tiger Mask-Tomb Raider P/P-D'bl Diamond-Takarabune-Beast Sapp-Tekken-Yajikita-Twinkle Stage-Duel Dragon-Popeye-Speed Racer-Million God-Jaws-Gladiator-St.Maria-Let'sDance-Indy-RoboCop-Julie-Palot

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to FREKKEN TEKKEN

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

It can be very scary with some cels, the amount of wires, gears and circuit boards. Just need a clear head and lots of coffee and some trays to put the bits in
    its certainly not something you want to rush into.
    Ian #UKPachinko

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well at least the Cell that Snakyo makes for the Macross is is easy to switch I saw it done and switch out with another in say 1-2 minutes... Others well as Clam says...
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR