Thread: Need Help Identifying A Recent Purchase

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Need Help Identifying A Recent Purchase

Pachinko Planet has the following information on their site, in The History Of Pachinko section, with a photo of one similar to the machine I have:

"In late 1952 the first autoloaders or the "Renpatsu-shiki" (successive shot) pachinko machines were developed, enabling players to shoot 160 to 180 balls per minute. In the summer of 1953 the gaming authority made it illegal to produce Renpatsu-shiki that paid more than one ball per win pocket, marking 1952/1953 as the only years of that era in which autoloading ALL-15 machines were produced".

I'm thinking the one I have falls in this category but mine has a hole in the frame like a single ball machine and I haven't seen one like this in the searches I've done. Perhaps someone out there has some info on this particular machine. There's also no name on it, just Japanese writing, so I need some help identifying it as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to whitedawg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Need Help Identifying A Recent Purchase

Beautiful machine! Exactly the kind I keep an eye out for! With twentysomething machines...I only add OLD or UNUSUAL to the collection. Have you ran any balls through it? I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't ran any balls through it yet but everything should be fine as it appears that all the parts are there. The nice thing about this particular machine is that there are no plastic parts, just wood and metal. In the near future this one for sure will be restored to its original condition, as when it came out of the factory.

In my original post I was hoping someone on the forum could decipher the Japanese characters on the emblem at top as well as the center feature, which is actually the front cover for the jackpot mechanism, but nothing so far. I believe the information on the Pachinko Planet site is correct and I've seen other machines that are similar and look like this one with the name Union on the front cover of the center jackpot mechanism but none had the hole in the side for a single ball. Hopefully someone will come up with some information on it. Until then it remains the "Machine With No Name".

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That is absolutely beautiful. I really need to track down a Single Shot for my collection.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is the oldest, and for me, the coolest looking Pachinko I've come across. I haven't put any balls through it yet as the machine became available for a decent price so I couldn't pass on it. It got put aside as a future project for when I have the time to restore it. It would appear to be a single ball/multiple ball machine. I can't find any information on the Internet for this particular one and so far no one here has been able to come up with anything. Still looking and hoping for information to identify it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks emmadog, that was a very interesting read with lots of great information. From what I gathered I have an *All 15 Renpatsushiki* and for one reason or another has the single ball hole in the frame which should have been removed when this style of Pachinko was manufactured, unless this was a conversion of some type, due to the bolts sticking through from the back on each side of the upper ball tray with the nuts being on the front. I would like to find out who manufactured it and a translation of the Japanese in the oval on the top frame of the machine as well as the center piece and would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It's quite possible that this particular machine was modified back to a single shot once the oldrenpatsushiki were outlawed. Renpatsushiki's were not allowed again until 1969 which is why you see a lot of "late" model Nishijin single shots with the auto loading trays backfitted on them.

71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by p.opus View Post
    It's quite possible that this particular machine was modified back to a single shot once the oldrenpatsushiki were outlawed. Renpatsushiki's were not allowed again until 1969 which is why you see a lot of "late" model Nishijin single shots with the auto loading trays backfitted on them.

Thanks for the info. For the time being I have quite a few machines in storage, this being one of them, but I did managed to find some time to go over and have a closer look at it. It looks like it was originally a single shot and then converted to a Renpatsu-shiki, if that makes any sense. The two bolts that hold on the upper tray look like they were added after the machine was first manufactured as the play field covering is ragged around the bolt holes like they were drilled later on to convert the machine. The front glass is not rectangular and has a notch cut out of it to accommodate the higher end of the upper ball tray. There is also a nail driven in the back at a point on the linkage which prevents the jackpot mechanism from dumping balls. This could have been done when these machines were banned to change it back to single ball operation. These are just my thoughts on the machine as I can't find much information on the operation or photos of the back of machines from this period.

If anyone can read Japanese I could still use some translating of what is on the machine. Thanks.
    Last edited by whitedawg; 06-20-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It could have been a converted single shot depending on date of manufacture. However, most of these machines only had a service life of a year. This would date the manufacture in 1969, but that makes no sense due to the glaring lack of plastics on the machine. If the machine was made in the late 50's or early 60's then it would have had to been in service for nearly 10 years before the being backfitted. I suppose it could have begun life as a single shot, then been backfitted as a renpatsu-shiki back in the 50's, then removed from service when the renpatsu-shiki's were banned.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

12. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

According to Pachinko Planet, if their information and photo are correct, this particular style dates to 1952/1953. I don't think it's late 1950's or into the 1960's but I could be wrong. Other than finding a machine of this vintage and actually being able to acquire it part of the fun is doing the research. Thanks for your input p.opus.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

No I would say what you have there is about a 52-53 Machine.

60s machines have chrome frames, and late 50s started to use more plastic on the back.

100 machines and counting...

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman