Thread: Help Identifying Machine

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help Identifying Machine

My first Pachinko machine! It's a Nishijin, but what kind?
    Do they have themes? Flowers, but what's in the middle? Playing card symbols?
    It badly needs a cleaning and some love and care, but I wanted a fun project.
    The little bell is so addictive.

I have included some pictures below.
    IMG_0402.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0407.jpg

2. The following user says "Thanks" to drfong

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help Identifying Machine

You have a 1971 Nishijin Model 'A' "recycler". I have not seen that center feature before, but your jackpot low light lens in the upper left corner indicates it is a '71 machine. It looks in pretty good condition too.

I responded in your other post about the reason the jackpot does not work. It's because 50 balls is not enough for that machine. When your 500 balls come in, you will be able to better evaluate the machine. However, it does look like all the necessary parts are there.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

4. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Fantastic! It needs some serious Q-Tipping, but I'm excited to get it all cleaned up and get that bell ringing.

Thanks for the help!

The back looks pretty good mechanically and I was able to play it a bit and except for the payouts (since I have nowhere near enough balls for it to work correctly) it seemed to work pretty well for as dirty as it is.

The other anomaly is in the lower left by the flipper mechanism. The rusted metal wire you can see in the front isn't attached to anything. Is there a good closeup picture of the correct setup for this area of the machine? Perhaps it has just come unhooked, but I couldnt figure out how it was supposed to connect.

IMG_0408.jpg

I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure how you like things organized. Better to post all my questions about this machine in one thread or break it up?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

That too, is normal.

That wire is connected to a white "pressure plate" in the chute above. The chute above is the return to the front lower ball tray. In a pachinko parlor, these machines had many more balls to supply them than you will typically use. If a player was winning so much that the lower ball tray backed up enough, this pressure switch would be depressed which would raise that wire interfering with the shooter and blocking you from shooting the ball.

This feature was to prevent the player from jamming up the jackpot mechanism because on this model, the "winning ball" is returned to the player as part of the typical 15 ball payout. (14 supplied by the jackpot supply seesaw (visible through the window in the front of the machine), and the winning ball returned to the lower tray, for a total of 15 balls). If this return were blocked by too many balls, the jackpot mechanism would eventually jam because of nowhere for the winning ball to go.

With 500 balls, which for this style machine is more than enough for home use, you will never back the lower tray that much. You'll reach a jackpot upper tray low limit far before then. But in commercial use, where these machines could have 1000 or more balls, this mechanism made sure that the player would empty the lower front tray when it got full.

As the years went on, more and more pachinko palaces had their own external ball management systems, so the recycler style was replaced by the model simpler B and C style of machine in which both the winning ball and lost balls were deposited into a common tray in the back of the machine, and a ball lifter would then lift the balls from the bottom tray to a single jackpot supply tray in the back.

A lot of us home users prefer the "A" models because you don't have to go to the back of the machine very often. On model B's and Model C's you have to fairly frequently refill the jackpot supply with the ejected balls as most of us don't have automatic ball lifters at home.
    71 Nishijin "A" Bowling, 80's Nishijin Hit Parade , 05 Sankyo Star Wars, 07 Fuji Yamato 1, 09 Fuji Yamato 2
    ----------> ----------> ....And so it goes...

7. The following user says "Thanks" to p.opus

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This is looking better and better! The couple things that I thought were trouble turn out to be perfectly normal. I guess I'll read up on cleaning the machine while I wait for my balls to arrive. The chrome is a bit rusty but I am hoping I can get it cleaned up.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the extra wire I thought was broken. This seems to be an interesting world I have stumbled into.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk.

What you have there is a 1971 Nishijin Model A Kyoto (daisies). Kyoto was the factory it was built in (Tokyo was the other), and daisies refers to the theme or background in this case. There are no real themes it is just what you see.

Any questions feel free to ask. (looks like other members are being able to helping you faster though) And once again welcome to PT.

-Max

100 machines and counting...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman