Thread: Thinkgeek has recalled All of those Magnetic Buckballs and Buckycubes

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Thinkgeek has recalled All of those Magnetic Buckballs and Buckycubes

Well I really can't understand why the children have gotten Dumber in these past 4 Decades but swallowing Metal balls and Lithium disc batteries has to go on the Darwin Awards list big time .

ThinkGeek :: ThinkGeek BuckyBall Voluntary Recall FAQ
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Thinkgeek has recalled All of those Magnetic Buckballs and Buckycubes

We have become way to over-protective. I grew up playing with fire-crackers, m-80's, and all my toys we probably considered too dangerous for todays kids. In the summer my Mom would fix us breakfast and then send us out of the house to play outside until lunch, when we were sent back out until dinner. I personally believe the exposure to the outdoors and exercise made us healthier. I was never over-weight and rarely get sick to this day. I look at a lot of kids today and they don't seem very healthy.

All I can say is yes I did do a lot of stupid dangerous things but I survived.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Thinkgeek has recalled All of those Magnetic Buckballs and Buckycubes

well lets see, in the 40's i swallowed a penny, and at 2 different times stuck a hard pea and an eraser tip up my nose and put a bobby pin in a wall socket

and those are just the stupid things i remember doing
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

5. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Thinkgeek has recalled All of those Magnetic Buckballs and Buckycubes

I remember doing the bobby pin in the electrical socket once as a kid. It was certainly a learning experience. Did not do it twice

7. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

one christmas we were always so excited to plug in the christmas tree lights... on year i had my finger on the side of the plug as i was pluging it in.. needles to say it was touching one of the prongs as i pluged them in... 110 BAM... Christmas has always been a bit different for me since...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Electricity luckly hasn't bothered me that much . I remember getting the 120vac tingle (for me that is ) a couple times .
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by takethecastle57 View Post
    Electricity luckly hasn't bothered me that much . I remember getting the 120vac tingle (for me that is ) a couple times .
    at 5 or 6 years old its no "tingle"
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

12. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Outside of the US, you can buy a candy commonly called a Kinder Egg which is a hollow dark and white chocolate shell with a foil wrapper shaped like an egg. On the inside is a plastic container that has a prize in it, some are lame like a dog figurine but others are very complex like a flywheel powered steam engine. I buy these all the time when I travel and smuggle them back in along with cigars, I am a very bad man. The reason they are illegal for import into the US is that the toy violates a law against having a toy inside of candy due to the choking hazard for children under 3. Well excuse me, but I don't have any children under 3 in my home so what purpose is served by prohibiting me from enjoying this candy and having the really neat toys to display on a shelf in my studio?

14. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Subarubrat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

How about back in the 1960's we had real hot plates (Thingmakers) and full tilt chemistry sets that you could make real smoke bombs and stuff

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I miss paint with lead in it..Now that stuff was yummy!!

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

18. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I understand wanting to keep children safe. However, I think that should be, as it used to be, the responsibility of the parents.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

my brother got a wood burning set from santa one christmas

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I loved my chemistry set as a kid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: Thinkgeek has recalled All of those Magnetic Buckballs and Buckycubes

I used to take library books out in high school on chemestry and read up on how to make all kinds of explosives

I couldn't believe they would keep those in a school library

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I remember building bombs out of firecrackers & M80s. It is amazing I was never seriously hurt.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post
    Outside of the US, you can buy a candy commonly called a Kinder Egg which is a hollow dark and white chocolate shell with a foil wrapper shaped like an egg. On the inside is a plastic container that has a prize in it, some are lame like a dog figurine but others are very complex like a flywheel powered steam engine. I buy these all the time when I travel and smuggle them back in along with cigars, I am a very bad man. The reason they are illegal for import into the US is that the toy violates a law against having a toy inside of candy due to the choking hazard for children under 3. Well excuse me, but I don't have any children under 3 in my home so what purpose is served by prohibiting me from enjoying this candy and having the really neat toys to display on a shelf in my studio?
    Oh I love those. I had a few of them a few years ago. I found them at a specialty goods japanese market. Inside they had little japanese toy cars (perfect size for like N size model railroad setup.) They were cool and actually had a good amount of detail to them. Also the chocolate egg wasn't too bad. Don't see why it was a real choking hazard because the toys were in big plastic capsules about the same size as the egg.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    well lets see, in the 40's i swallowed a penny, and at 2 different times stuck a hard pea and an eraser tip up my nose and put a bobby pin in a wall socket

and those are just the stupid things i remember doing
    hah... worked a bit at a pediatrician's doing data entry and helping a bit with this&that during college. Helped extract a pea once... that had sprouted. YEEEECCCCHHH!
    Woof!

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Chumsize