Thread: Smart Card Reader For Pachinko Broken?!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Smart Card Reader For Pachinko Broken?!

Hi all,
    I have three machines and all three have the Smart Reader attached to them. Had them a few years and started them all up yesterday and two of them are working fine, but for the Star Wars one it seems to not be working. When I insert a card, on the display near the hand turner parts of the digits are missing, if i press the ball return button it doesnt work.

I tried changing the card reader attachment from the back of another pachinko machine but the same problem occurs?

Can anyone tell me whats wrong. Its obviously not the Smart Card Reader can i do anything to fix it>

Cheers in advance!

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Smart Card Reader For Pachinko Broken?!

I would check the 1A fuse on the cr board next to where the dongle plugs in. Does the shooter work?
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm not clear on what you've tried, when you say that you've tried the card reader attachment from another machine (and it doesn't make any difference) do you mean just swapping the small ribbon cable, or unplugging and swapping the entire card reader emulator dongle?

If you have only swapped the smartcard reader board and not the dongle, then try swapping that first. There may be a fault with the dongle itself or it may not be fully plugged in. If the fault goes to another machine when the suspect dongle is plugged in, then send me a private message with the serial number of the dongle and we'll sort something out.

If the fault stays on the Star Wars when another dongle is tried, then I would check the cables that run between the small circuit board that the dongle plugs into and the front shooter tray display first. There is a large white connector on this board that sometimes comes partially unplugged. give it a wiggle while the pachinko is switched on and see if the missing digits re-appear.

If that doesn't work try to follow the cable round to the front of the machine (you need to open the front glass and shooter tray for this) and inspect the cable for any damage. The other end of the cable is hidden on the circuit board that the LED credit display and buttons are mounted, and is a bit of a pain to get to as you have to dismantle the shooter tray, so hopefully you'll have fixed the problem before you have to get this far!

5. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

All the cords look intact and have swapped the whole thing over with another machine, have attached photos - HELP!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I noticed with the Star Wars machine the button you press to get the 25 balls isn't "clicking" like the other two machines, is there anything i can do? The digits come up its just the bottom line of the digits dont work.
    I have replaced the fuse next to the dongle and that did nothing

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The buttons on the Sankyo Lumina frame have a soft action and don't click like some of the others.

The fuse wouldn't cause this sort of problem. If it fails then the dongle wouldn't get any power and the entire display would be blank (and the shooter handle would have stopped working as well).

It really does sound like a connection problem somewhere between the dongle and the LED display to me. The digits in the display are 'multiplexed' and so the missing segment on all three digits is carried over the same wire. It is very likely that this connection has failed somewhere.

The alternatives to a connection problems are that the LED for that particular segment has failed in all three digits, which while possible is a highly unlikely coincidence that all three could fail at exactly the same time!. The only other failure mode is the signal that drives that segment of the displays in the dongle has failed (which you have already ruled out by swapping the dongle).

I think you're going to have to end up dismantling the shooter tray to remove the cable harness with the big white connector and then check each connection with a multimeter to find where the problem lies. I'd try unplugging and re-connecting the connector at the end of the cable first and prodding and wiggling any accessible parts of the cable harness, all done with the power on and with one eye on the credit display to see if you can see any flickering of the missing display segment while you do this.

9. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by daverob View Post

The fuse wouldn't cause this sort of problem. If it fails then the dongle wouldn't get any power and the entire display would be blank (and the shooter handle would have stopped working as well).

My mistake. I mis-read the original post and thought it said the digits were missing not some of the segments were missing.
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ReplySo how do i remove the front part to check the cables?