Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My 1st OFFICIAL Nishijin Model A Restoration

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My 1st OFFICIAL Nishijin Model A Restoration

It was just a matter of time (and guts) for me to start my first restoration. The machine I enjoy the most is the Nishijin "pac-man" machine so I decided to attack it. I ordered some backgrounds from Pachinko Planet (thanks James) and went to town.

Surprisingly the things that I though would be tough were easy and viceversa! For example, I thought it was going to be tough to pull out all those nails, but I knocked those out in about 30 minutes! The things that were tough on this machine was pulling off the pockets. Where they were attached with little nails, the plastic was super thin and I cracked everyone! So I'm hoping someone out there has 5 pockets for me to replace what I have (I have a couple of folks helping on this one too). Also, not easy pulling out those cotter pins to hold the track down. That was a bit of a chore too. But to get that playing field off (which I thought would be tough to scrape off) was a sinch! Took my big plastic puddy knife and it came off in one big piece! Then I belt sanded the hole board with some 220 grit and was done!

Last night I polished every nail with brasso and my cordless drill and today, I'm hoping to put the new playing field back on. Wish me luck!!!
    Joe
    Photos later today.

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well I have some tips for you. Some you probably. Would have used yesterday.

A. Don't try to save the cotter pins. As they are a pain to get up and you won't be able to put them back as tight. What means James do is we replace them with safety wire. (I think I use 20gauge wire)

B. Make sure you sand the back board before you apply the background. Group to about 220 grit, then I apply 2 -3 coats of sanding sealer.

C. Again before putting the background down. This is my secret weapon I will now tell (only 1 other member knows about this.) So I will have to kill you later. Anyways take a pizza box or something similar and set the backboard on it. Trace out the big holes, like the center and ball return. Then add little tabs to them and hot glue them in place so they are flush with the face of the board. This helps reduce wrinkles so you can put the background on smoother.

D. If you haven't already go buy one of these. 3M Hand Applicator Squeegee PA1-B Blue : Amazon.com : Automotive You can find them at home depot or Lowes. Just get something similar. It will make your life easier.

Those tips should do for now. I have many more but don't have the time at the moment to type them up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 03-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.

100 machines and counting...

4. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My 1st OFFICIAL Nishijin Model A Restoration

Thanks Max! All good tips!

Wish I would of saw them sooner...LOL! But things went well and I was able to save the cotter pins. I did pilot out the hole with a 1/16 bit so I could get the track on easier. Here's some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Okay. I'll share a few more of my precious tips.

• Before sanding the back board take some water and pour it into a spray bottle. Spritz the board and take a putty knife and scrape up the paper left when you pulled off the background. (Note: it smells kinda funky but you get over it.)

• Here again info you needed before you started. To remove those pockets with the little nails and thin plastic areas. I made a custom pry-bar. Take a piece of 1/16" sheet metal and bend one end about 1/2 - 3/4" from the end at a 90. Then cut a small V into that end. I have made a few of these they work great everywhere on the machine. They will still be made of soft metal so they will bend, but that is easy to fix if you have a vise or a pair of pliers.

• Before putting on the new background I'd recommend letting it sit in the sun for about 30min. or so. That way it can get kinda warm and it will lay down a little easier.

also remember try not to touch the adhesive much.

• I'd recommend that after you apply the background that you apply a layer of clear mylar over it. I think this is where I got it last time. Grafix - Dura Lar Roll .005" 20"x12' Make sure you get clear, and not matte.

I can't think of much else as for prepping & applying the background. So good luck!

Also here are some pics of how I fill the big holes with cardboard.

003.jpg001.jpg031.jpg

Kinda hard to see them in the 3rd pic. But that is because they are doing their job, keeping things flat!

8. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Max! I'll give this a go tomorrow! More pictures then!
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    This is my secret weapon I will now tell (only 1 other member knows about this.) So I will have to kill you later.
    Damned, Joe. I gonna miss you, man.

11. The following user says "Thanks" to browne92

Thanks
    Thanks Received

HA! So much love!

I found some pockets for me to use from another machine. I hate to scrap one machine for another, but I really liked the pockets on this other vintage "single shot" machine, so I'm gonna give it a try. Should look cool!
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got around putting on my playing field. It was pretty easy finding the holes of the nails...just by using the original as a templete. Pachinko Planets background looks great with the "greens and yellows" to go allow with my theme.

Here's some more pics.

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I sanded down the wood frame and gave it a light coat of poly...but really the frame needs to be relaminated (which I'm not up to). I think I'm going to just shine it up as well as possible, and enjoy the game!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Put the thing back together and she looks good. Those pockets really pay out a lot! Not really a problem since my the kids play this machine more than I do. Overall I think this machine turned out pretty good, being my first go. I have a single shot that I want to replace the background on next. Till then!

17. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Dats purrrrdy.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Beautiful work!
    DMinor アルファマイナー Coo coo for kenrimonos!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like you have successfully completed your first cell replacement. What words of advice do you have for other pachi members?

21. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Looks like you have successfully completed your first cell replacement. What words of advice do you have for other pachi members?
    Be careful when you pull off those pockets!

That's o.k. though. I didn't like those pockets to begin with. I like the simple silver ones better. But now I have a single shot with no pockets, so I will be searching soon!

Joe

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

What words of advice do you have for other pachi members?
    DON'T DO IT!!!

Any thoughts of using small screws on the pockets instead of nails? That way, when you decide to redo it again in another 50 years, it won't be so hard.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes...now that would be a good idea! Smaller screws!
    Now I just got to build a cabinet in the basement and all is well. I've talked my wife in having 5 machines up in he playroom...yeah!
    I'll hide the rest in the attic.

26. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to jodini

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Great job.

It looks as if vintage pachinko has my parts and I am in the process of ordering them. The mounting of the upper aluminum jackpot feed chute on my machine seems a little kludgey. The chute has the ability to move and flex since only one nail is holding it in place. On your machine does the upper plastic jackpot supply tray provide a means of mounting the chute to it?

The reason is that if I don't get proper placement of that feeder chute, the jackpot low light and the plunger flag won't enable and disable properly. Right now the levers move but there is a ton of rubbing somewhere, and I think because that aluminum chute is not properly set.

What was your experience with the upper feed tray, feed chute and making sure the jackpot low counter weight in the chute works properly without sticking?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad you found the parts you need. On your questions...I'll do the best I can. the upper aluminum tray fastens on two spots and could probably stay there without that one nail.
    I'm a little concern what you are referring too when you talk about lower counter weight. I found on many of my machines, (especially this model), wires get placed on the wrong side. Luckliey our friend that you are ordering the parts from "Vintage Pachinko" has many helpful set up videos for this Nishijin Model A.

But like I said, I don't know which one you are refering too. Can you take a pick of the back of your machine?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Received

a picture is truly worth a thousand words
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And if you don't get a picture you can tell us where in this video (thanks to Steve Fury) you are finding the problem:
    Nishijin_A.mp4 - YouTube

I just love this animation video...amazing!
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast