Thread: Evangelion 4 Pachinko Unboxing - Five Brothers TC.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Evangelion 4 Pachinko Unboxing - Five Brothers TC.

Given that my collection currently consists of a Masamura Super Deluxe single-shot and a middle-of-the road Newgin Trio, I figured the most obvious way to add to the collection was to get a fully modern pachinko machine. Kazuki's advertisement of a $55 discount for Valentines day from Five Brothers Trading Company sort of nudged me into inquiring about what it would take to get a modern machine. While there was a bit of back and forth with regards to shipping/customs costs for the machine, I was eventually able to place an order for a Neon Genesis Evangelion pachinko machine. (Though I'll admit, I was debating getting a pachislo machine just to have one. But, pachislo machines seem to be a lot easier to find up here than pachinko machines)

While I had originally wanted to pick up the Eva 6 machine, it turns out that the ones in Kazuki's shipment were all damaged in transit. So I went for my second choice, which was Eva 4. Still looks cool, even if it's a bit older. The $55 discount basically allowed me to throw in 1000 additional balls for free; something else I needed. Kazuki was kind enough to throw them in the same box, so there was no additional shipping charge on them. Bonus!

Within a day of placing the order, Alexander from FBTC had sent me a picture of the new machine I was to receive and 3 days later, I was informed by FedEx that there was a problem with my address and they couldn't deliver. (Seems they couldn't find me in the apartment directory and didn't have my buzzer code. Typical courier "find any reason to not have to lug a 100lb machine out of the van to attempt delivery to someone who's likely not home anyway" tactic.) Not a big deal because I had fully expected to pick the unit up anyway. So, I get in touch with FedEx, they tell me I can pick up the machine that night in Cambridge.

I got to the FedEx depot and had no trouble picking the machine up. When the tag said it weighed 100lbs, I figured they had just graciously over-estimated the weight, but not really. The darn box was pretty heavy! Luckily someone who was picking up a package at the same time offered to help me load the box in my car, otherwise I might have been there for a while. (Note to self, next time bring a friend.) With it being clear that I wouldn't be able to get the machine to the elevator by myself (I really wasn't expecting it to be so heavy!) I had to make a pitstop to Home depot to pick up a hand truck. Getting it back out of the car wasn't terribly difficult, and with the hand truck, moving it into the apartment was easy as pie.

Now that the machine is home, it's time to open this baby up!

DSC_0967.jpg
    The mystery box! With the hand truck I had to buy to move it and my Masamura Super Deluxe in the background.

DSC_0968.jpg
    The mystery box contained... two other boxes! A big one and a small one!

DSC_0969.jpg
    The small box contained the 500 balls included with the machine, along with the additional 1000 balls I had ordered. I do have to be honest here and was a bit disappointed that these balls weren't engraved as I had thought they would be. I liked seeing all the different markings on the various balls I had received with my first two machines, and was really looking forward to seeing what other markings I'd find. I guess not all places sell the re-purposed balls from pachinko parlors. Still, they're the right size and functional, so all is good.

DSC_0970.jpg
    Continuing the unpacking, I get to the big box. The moment of truth.

DSC_0971.jpg
    And opening the box, we find more packing materials. I do have to commend Alexander at FBTC's packing job. There was very little movement of the boxes within the outer box, and the machine arrived without any noticeable damage.

DSC_0976.jpg
    As you can see, there was a _lot_ of packing materials pulled out of the box. This is all of it.

DSC_0977.jpg
    The machine itself was in very good condition. The only noticeable issues are yellowing and scratches on the shooter knob. Given that these things tend to sit in parlors for a year or two of constant use, I figure it's probably in good shape comparatively.

The machine came attached to a stand, and the volume controls (one for each speaker) and transformer were attached to the stand. The L-brackets reinforcing the machine appear to have been bent slightly, either in storage or during transport, but it's nothing that can't be leveled out. (Poker chips for now, when I get to making a stand/shelf, I'll look at mounting a brace for a more permanent solution.) It does need to be leveled out though, balls will get caught in the center in its current configuration when they're supposed to roll out and possibly hit the start gate.

On playing through the machine, I did notice that the gumball/siren lights at the top of the machine spin fine, but do not actually turn on. Given that I had hit a large fever round shortly after playing it, it's clear they're not working. Haven't looked to see if there's anything I can do about it just yet. A small thing, but what can I say, I like flashy things. It's one of the reasons I've got these machines in the first place

DSC_0975.jpg
    One last shot of the back of the machine.

Overall, my experience with FBTC was very positive. Kazuki and Alexander are very nice to work with, and they take their products seriously. Shipping costs were on par with other sites I had checked, but they did have better prices on the machines and were able to include the balls with the machine shipping, two big pluses when you're looking at over $150 for shipping. (Makes me wish I had a friend in Buffalo, as it's about $40 in gas to the border myself, and FBTC does typically offer free shipping in the US.) Would definitely buy again, but I think I'll have to wait for a bit before I consider my next purchase. I'm supposed to be saving for a house!

--InfiniteBlue

2. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to infiniteblue