Thread: Extremely specific need - Potentiomete for Nishijin shooter knob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Extremely specific need - Potentiomete for Nishijin shooter knob

Decloaking after stressing down from software release hell...

So I picked up a early modern CR忍々丸Z (Shinobu Maru Z?) Nishijin for next-to-nothing the other day, and thanks to some lovely mishandling by USPS the shooter knob got knocked off. Very fixable, except that the contacts on the potentiometer inside got ripped out.

So - I know its a 50k ohm pot, the thing I need to figure out is whether or not these pots are the switching type or not. Since the thing was basically destroyed, I was unable to figure out if it terminated at either extreme with on/off switches. Anyone ever dug this far into this problem?

Well.. the other solution is if someone out there has a "Y&O" or "You Got It" (???) late 90's-ish Nishijin frame laying around with a busted knob... and you don't mind digging out the potentiometer. I'll pay handsomely for it.
    Woof!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Extremely specific need - Potentiomete for Nishijin shooter knob

So... forgot to update this one. I got this fixed. And it was a ***** - but the good news is that if I ever have to do it again, or if someone here does, its not going to be nearly as difficult.

I was able to replace the potentiometer in question with a regular old 50k ohm single turn linear curve (B curve) pot with a flattened D shaped post (though I had to flatten the post down an extra 1/4" with a bench belt sander). No switches necessary - All that is handled by the rest of the switching in the handle. The tricky part was figuring out which wire went to which post on the new pot, since the old ones were torn out in transit. After goofing around and burning out one pot by soldering it 6454 times, I just disassembled the knob of my "You Got it" (aka. "Stop Over Smoking!") frame to find the right wires for the wiper and both poles.

Now... the original pot had an "E" code on it, which probably meant it had a custom curve on it. So with the new pot, it took several tries to find the right orientation to have the shooter knob have a nice usable range. And then I needed to drill a small key post hole because the orientation was about 60 degrees off from the original. Anyway, what I'm left with is a knob that is a bit more sensitive than the original, but completely useful. Luckily this frame has an easy adjustment on the back for power.

Useless Nishijin ShinobuMaruZ now useful. And quite zesty.
    Woof!

3. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Chumsize