Thread: New truck!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default New truck!

My '03 Pontiac Montana minivan died this summer. Blown head gasket, overheated several times. Aluminum heads, and maybe aluminum block (not sure on the block), so I don't trust putting a head gasket set on it. I hear that they are NEVER right after badly overheating. Which brings me to modern electronics! Why does it have a driver information LCD screen that is about 4"X4", lights up red and dominates the gauge cluster stating "coolant hot"...look immediately at the temp gauge, and it is BURIED in the HOT range! You would think that as sophisticated as these modern pieces of crap are, the large grab your attention info screen would indicate HOT when the engine is approaching hot...not after the needle id as far into the hot as it can go!
    So, I started looking for OLD SCHOOL. Unfortunately, I think we have reached a point in time where all the easy to work on OLD cars and trucks are hard to find in acceptable condition. Either too rusty/beat up...or considered a classic and not affordable! I think I got lucky. I missed a $1000 '83 GMC with a 350, because it was about 30 miles away, and I couldn't get a ride to look at it. Then a week later I found this '85 Dodge ram 1/2 ton DSCF7705.JPG with a 318, 2barrel carburetor, and distributor. With NO engine computer!No oxygen sensor, no mass airflow sensor, and no differential feedback EGR sensor! All very easy to work on.DSCF7712.JPGDSCF7713.JPG Paid $650 for it and it was 2 blocks from my house! Body is overall good condition for its age.DSCF7707.JPG Interior is not too bad, all truck, no frills.DSCF7706.JPG Except the FRED FLINTSTONE floor on the driver side!DSCF7708.JPG Fuse box is hanging by the wiring harness, but everything electrical seems to work. The floor pan is the only thing that bothers me. Now all I have to do is pay the $150 reinstatement fee, and get an SR22 (high risk) insurance so I can get my license back! I got busted speeding and had no insurance. Ohio will suspend your license for 3 months and require SR22 insurance for 5 years for driving without insurance. The good thing about SR22 insurance is if you have 10 cars, it covers you on anything you drive (liability only). Otherwise the insurance companies want you to have a policy on EACH car...even though you can only drive one at a time! I tried to get an SR22 when I had 4 cars, they won't sell one without a court order! Soon I'll be able to buy "local pickup only"(or not so local) pachinkos again!

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall