Thread: Which transformers for use in uk?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Which transformers for use in uk?

Ok so I've also picked up my first few pachinko machines. I know these are 24 volt and should have a supply suitable for approx
    5 amps but are there any neat ready made supplies for these? I've a few bare transformers but there isn't much space to fit these within a machine so unless I make a case with neat connections or what does everyone else use, particularly in the uk?
    Thanks.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Which transformers for use in uk?

There is one on eBay with free postage from Germany that has a built in fuse and easy connections. I'll post the link when home. But do a search for 24vac transformers with 150VA or higher. Can get basic chassis transformers from RS components for and £35 plus vat and p&p. I am currently running 2 machines off a 12A (300va) transformer.
    Ian #UKPachinko

3. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks, I have a basic chasis/din mount transformer but want something neater so would have to get an enclosure, connectors etc and try making something neat up myself unless I can find something ready made.
    Also one of my machines has a sticker by the power cable reading DC24V 0.1A I thought these machines ran on 24V AC and 0.1 Amp seems very low???

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The DC 24V 0.1A sticker is probably indicating the rating of the 'Battle Counter' outputs, which are often conveniently located right next to where the power cable enters the machine.

To get the recommended rating for the machine, there is usually a sticker on the back of the machine with the power requirements in VA. For the machines usually found in the UK, the older ones usually quote between 120VA and 160VA (5-6A), and the newer ones can be 200-225VA (8-9A). These are very conservative ratings, which indicate the requirements for reliable 24/7 operation in commercial use. Most dealers fit transformers that are only rated for about 75% of that shown on the sticker, and they will be absolutely fine for home use.

6. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to daverob

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes 24vac an 5A or higher for new, Unless its a vintage machine with manual shooter.

That DC label sound like the max rating for the battle counter connectors. If its located near either a now of sockets or connectors.

These are the 2 I was looking at, but I haven't tried any of them, Both have open connectors. if you want a sealed unit, you will have to make your own

ELMA TT FRAME MOUNTED SERIES STR SAFETY UNIVERSAL TRANSFORMER 24 V/200 VA | eBay

WF 240V - 24V 150VA Transformer No 61418 Insulation Class E Phase 1 50/60 HZ | eBay
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The links didn't seem to work at least not on my mobile but searching it's something like the Elma I already have. So do you fit this into the back of the pachinko with heat shrink around the connections to make it safer?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Yes. I get that with most eBay links on a mobile
    I use a crimp connector for use with terminal block, keeps loose strands from poking out. My transformer is locate in a different part of my cabinet and not fitted to the machines frame. See my Rotten to the core thread in the games room section. I'm now also on mobile at the moment.
    Ian #UKPachinko

10. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam