Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with modern lock

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Help with modern lock

I bought a Omron lock cylinder on eBay. CR Pachinko Machine Omron Cylinder Barrel Lock Cams Choose 1 from 5 RARE | eBay
    I plan on putting it in my Newgin machine. 001.jpg Seller includes 1 of the 5 cams, but needs a picture of the lock bars on the back. I stated that I needed the cam for the Newgin, but seller don't know which one is for Newgin. I hope he can figure it out from a picture. I know a couple of members have (or had) this machine. If anyone has this machine, or one in this frame, please post a pic of the cam that engages the locking bars so I can hopefully get the correct cam. I noticed in the pics that they also have a letter stamped on each one. If I knew the letter I could ask for that one. I am going to take the pics, hopefully that is good enough. But more concrete information would be appreciated.

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Help with modern lock

Hi Mark - that's my lock you bought! Glad it went to a PT member - I'll make sure I include plenty of free collectable extras in your package.

We'll be able to figure it out soon, I'm sure.

If anyone needs detailed shots of the cams that you can't find in the auction listing, let me know - but these arrived from Juno unmarked, and only loosely identified, so I've no idea which of the cams are which, and don't have any Newgin machines to find out.

thanks all.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well that's a load off! I have to get to my machine and figure out why my camera and computer don't like each other! Was concerned about time running out with a stranger. Still gonna get some pics to you, just taking care of some other things now.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got a couple of pics!damn 149.JPG This one is frame open, locking bars in the closed, or locked position. damn 150.JPG This one is locking bars in the open, or unlocked position.

8. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK! Back to the same problems I've had before! Now my computer loads the 1st pic I take...then locks up. I should have taken more the 1st time.omron 001.JPG This is 1 of 4 close up shots...but my computer hates me!

10. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

This might be enough my friend.

Let me check when I get home tonight.

12. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK - I've narrowed it down to 2 cams.

Both have an offset arm, and that's what your frame is showing. One of these two cams seems to have the teeth that would fit.
    The hard part is trying to figure out which one is the right size, as the cams have different arms sizes.

To be sure, we'd need to see a Modern Newgin lock and cam.

I might hit up some of our members privately, who have indicated they have Newgin's, and ask for confirmation.

Meanwhile, here are the 2 cams:

2xcams07.jpg2xcams06.jpg2xcams05.jpg2xcams04.jpg2xcams03.jpg2xcams02.jpg2xcams01.jpg

14. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If you decide to send both, I will ship the one that don't work back at my cost.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sounds good - I contacted both Compirate and Frank, and neither can help with Newgin locks/cams right now.

Easy enough to include both of these - we'll all have learned something at the end of it.

I'll forward the package on Monday.

Do you have a bigger interest in pachinko, or pachislo (re: freebies to include)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Jon! I was going to measure the minimum and maximum distance of the holes, in thousandths of an inch...and convert to millimeters...as I have no metric measuring tools. The offset of the legs look different enough to tell. However if you are good enough to ship both, I will absolutely send the other back to you. The "oops I measured wrong" and time saved will be well worth the shipping. PACHINKO! If you look at my profile and check my albums...you will see that I have a far greater interest in pachinko. I lost count, but I think I have 26 pachinko machines. One early modern, and this one is my only modern, and what a pain it is to open without a lock cylinder. I mostly like vintage mechanical machines. A couple of mechanical slot machines, although the Mills is more fun to play...the Brains Beer is WAY COOL! Brains Beer! (Slot/Fruit Machine) Only 2 pachislos... fun to play, but not quite my thing. Had to buy a couple to figure that out. Thanks for working with me on this! Most other sellers would have had me choose one and wished me luck! Pachitalk members are the best!

18. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are entirely welcome.

PT people really ARE the best people I have ever met on the internet - full stop. We look after each other because we genuinely care for each other's best interests.

I have never seen that anywhere else, to this degree.

Not sure I have much in the way of Vintage material to share - will hunt and find something useful.

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks Jon (Happy Birthday!). No worries about vintage stuff, I have almost no accessories, so any goodies are great! Glad I was able to get a couple of pics up. I'm really gonna have to get my computer guy to fix this thing!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Not my birthday pal, I'm a December baby.

'Jon' is just 22 years old (I wish!)

23. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got my package of rocking horse doo doo today! Along with some freebies! Jon included both cams in question, I'll be test fitting soon. Once fitted I'll send back the one that don't work for any other locks he may have for others. Test fitted my Omron key...IT WORKS! Pics as soon as I have something to take pics of!

25. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Test complete! Now time to get out the camera for the required pics! The lock cylinder fits perfectly, holes line up for attaching to frame...except the original screws are missing. As long as not smaller than M4-1.0, then I can get them at work. I'm certain it is metric, just not sure what size. The cylinder fits flush with the front, and only 1 cam comes close. Haven't rotated key to test cams engagement with lock bars, because lock is not screwed down. Looks like a great fit all the way around.

27. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DSCF7552.JPG Nice flush fit on the front.DSCF7551.JPG This cam is the closest fit.DSCF7554.JPG Offset matches better than other cam.DSCF7558.JPGThis one is the incorrect one. Offset incorrect, and legs too long. Held cylinder in place by hand, and tried to turn key...NO GO. Key will not turn. I put on the correct cam, turn key one way, front door opens! This alone, makes it all worth it! I had to relearn how to open the door with a pocket screwdriver from the back EACH TIME I wanted the door open. I turn it the other way...encounter resistance! The tip of the lower leg seems to be contacting one of the locking bars...just a hair too long. After I get the correct screws to mount the cylinder, I will file the very tip off the leg making contact with the locking bar, just enough until the key will turn. This should unlock the machine from the frame. I believe the key and lock cylinder can perform some type of "soft reset". Not exactly sure what this even means...or if this happens on this machine. I will check closer when I secure the lock and file the "contact point".
    I forgot to take pics of the free goodies Candyflip sent with the lock! A pack of 10 Epoch pachinko cards. Like trading cards. with the cell of a pachinko machine on the face...and lots of Japanese writing on the back. Probably specs on the machine. Plus 6 booklets that appear to be play guides for machines. I can't really tell, the only words I recognize is the brand name on the front of each one...Okumura, Daiichi, Sankyo, Daiiachi, Takao, Daiiachi again, then one lnly labeled in English as: TYPE-A400ST which appears to be a pachislo. I'll take pics of those later and include them in a later update.

29. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It appears that the threads on the screw that holds the cam to the cylinder are the same as the screws that hold the cylinder to the door. I will take the screw to work with me, and hopefully get them there, rather than go to the hardware store.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Word of warning! Studying (playing with), the lock cylinder...I was wondering what the small square tab on the back is. Didn't want to fight my camera, so I used one of Candyflip's pics. It is at the bottom of lock on left, and at the top on lock on right. If you slide it, then turn the key...the key will turn, but the cam won't. The key will come out 180 degrees from normal. Then the lock would not turn unless I put it in only half way. Then not always. Sometimes it worked when the key was fully inserted...but, usually not. Mostly it would not work half way, or fully inserted! After messing with it for a long time, I was able to slide the tab, and turn the key 180 degrees (can't believe there isn't a button for this symbol), and removing the key, it started working correctly! This is the condensed version ( I left out all the failed attempts and curse words ), most of the time, the key wouldn't turn regardless of position of tab. I still don't know what the purpose of this tab is...but I'm not gonna mess with it anymore! I was so frustrated...I forgot to get screws to attach it to my machine. I'll try my luck at that tomorrow.
    Last edited by pachiwall; 11-16-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling

32. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Can't figure out what thread pitch the screws are. Smaller than M4-1.0, not sure what is smaller. I removed lock bar and drilled out holes to accept #6-32 screws with a nut on the back. running into some clearance problems, so I'm gonna remove some plastic with a Dremel tool. Just not tonight. Will post pics later as well.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

DSCF7562.JPG Here is the cam that I decided to use. As you can see, the top leg is too long...DSCF7564.JPG but the offset is correct. DSCF7565.JPG Even with too long an arm, it activates the door latch correctly.DSCF7566.JPG however, when you try to unlatch the machine from the frame...the too long arm contacts this part of the latch.DSCF7567.JPG As you can see, the length prevents the key from returning to the release position. This is why I rejected it in the 1st place. I even had to have the key in and rotated to install it. With the lock bar out and lock cylinder installed, I was able to examine it from all angles.DSCF7569.JPG This is the cam that I originally thought was going to be the one. It opened the doorDSCF7570.JPG but wouldn't turn to open the machine.DSCF7571.JPG As you can see, the offset is too great and contacts metal, preventing turning...therefore, preventing the machine from opening. I thought about bending the tab at an angle to reduce the offset...but that would require that the leg was longer. Since I am returning this one to Candyflip, I wasn't going to modify it when common sense dictates that it still won't work! Now it is time to fit it to the machine.DSCF7572.JPG With the lock cylinder attached to the locking bars, the tab that opens the front door has to go behind this orange cover. However the length of the cylinder prevents it from fitting. The correct order of assembly is: install locking bars, then install lock cylinder! Since I drilled out the threads, and enlarged the holes to accept a #6-32 screw and nut...this was no longer an option. I have to install the lock cylinder 1st, then install the lock bars, because I have no access to the nuts once the bar assembly is installed. I was able to get it in once, but I had to bend and tweak the plastic cover so much, I was afraid it would break. Something else had to be done.

35. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast