Thread: First time pachinko machine owner... what do I do now?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question First time pachinko machine owner... what do I do now?

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here. I've wanted a pachinko machine for about 20 years. Never thought I would own one. Well, that all changed this past Friday. I was at a local auction. They had an older Nishijin machine up for auction. I live in the country, so seeing one of these are rare around here. I bid on it in a slight bidding war. Finalizing the winning bid at just over $50

I was told the machine didn't work, but for $50 I thought I would take a shot at fixing it. Worst case would be a piece of art.

Let me preface by stating I really don't know squa about these machines. Aside from playing with one asa young boy. Then playing with then when I was stationed in Japan. I loved them.

I got it home Friday night and decided to take a look at it a bit more lastnight. A few google searches informed me I could test the lights with a 9v and some wire. I ran some tests the lights didn't run. I found three micro switches so far. The thin metal was in bad shape but I got them straightened out pretty well. I suck at electrical stuff but I was able to see where power was supposed to come from. I decided to test the bulbs directly with the 9v. Two were working. So I figured that was a good sign. I took a bit of sandpaper and sanded down the contacts a bit in two of the micro switches. Whaalaa. It worked. I traced the patches back and determined the top one is the light that signals the hopper is low on balls. The other is a notification of a jackpot. The third is behind plastic but I found that it controls the centerpiece back lights.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good about this thus far. Now on to the particulars.

The machine is a Nishijin Super Deluxe. With the word Sophia on the back plastic. I think it's a Nishijin version B

All in all it's a little rough around the edges. The balls are a mix of some shiny ones some slightly rusty ones. There area few jammed balls in some of the tulips. I was ableto pop the front open and tested payouts and the bells rang and balls were paid out. So mechanically I think I'm fine.

Its needs a new cleaning. Some touch up paint. Probably need to polish up some metal as there is lag/friction on some of the mechanics. Hopefully it's not too hard to take the thing apart.

Here are some things I want to do...

Clean inners
    Clean/polish/paint the exterior
    Replace the lights.
    Install a battery or ac adapter mod
    clean the balls. Not sure how but I doubt the rust is good
    Replace the pressboard surround with wood
    create a wall mount box for the machine.

Anyway I've been typing this on my iPhone. Not an easy task. So forgive spelling errors etc. I took some pics of the front and back which I'll post shortly.

I guess this is welcome to my new addiction.

Cheers,

Withoutink

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: First time pachinko machine owner... what do I do now?

Here is a link to some photos I took today of the machine, they are hosted on Flickr: Nishijin Pachinko Machine - a set on Flickr

4. The following 8 users say "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If anyone has any info on this model, or if you need me to take more pictures I gladly will. I shot all those pics on Flickr under lowlight with my iPhone, i can bring it outside and take some pics to pick up more detail...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

never use rusty balls, it will mess your pachinko up!!

Hot water and either CLR or dawn will clean the rust off the balls, rinse them good then dry with a towel or by rolling them around an old sock.
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to PachiTalk!! Thanks for taking the time to join the site. The community here is VERY helpful when it comes to Pachinkos.

Here is a thread with lots of great tips and suggestions regarding cleaning your machine: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...o-machine.html

It should help get you started on the care and cleaning process. Also, if you haven't seen it already, here is a link to a video made by one of our members regarding how your machine works and how to handle many of the basic issues that most have: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...l-b-video.html

If you run into any issues or have questions along the way, just post back and we will do our best to help you every step of the way.

Again, welcome to the site! Please visit daily and post often.

Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

9. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys I've already watched a few videos and checked out that cleaning guide... Both very helpful. I've also checked some stuff on YouTube..

Im going to be ordering a few things. Tomorrow, I'll be hitting wallyworld for some cleaning supplies:

CLR
    Brasso
    some type of plastic cleaner
    maybe some simple green
    qtips

I picked up 10 x 4x1/2 stainless screws tonight.

Planning on getting some electric stuff tues:

4 x 7.5w bulbs.
    4 x Grommets.
    2 x 9v connectors with leads.
    1 x micro switch if they have it at RadioShack.

I'll try cleaning the balls with the clr. How long should they soak?

I have got to remove the ugly pressboard surround. That's for sure. I'm thinking about installing some temporary wood around the frame. Since the machine cannot stand upright without assistance. When we move into our new house, hopefully in the next few months. I'll build a wall cabinet for the machine.

While on the subject...

The frame is pretty wobbly. So I'm going to have to address that somehow. I may take the thing totally apart, was thinking about pulling the frame nails and replacing with screws. Maybe even gluing the ends.

There is one piece I found that is broken. It's secure, but I may need to superglue or try and find a replacement. It's behind the door, it's the plastic piece that is right behind the ball feeder. I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow.

Would you recommend buying a restore DVD from vintage pachinko? I would think there is enough info here that I can probably save the 25$

Where is the best place to buy clean balls? I have maybe 200-300 with about 10-15% being slightly rusty. I'm thinking I might as well just buy 500-1000 clean balls...

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll keep you updated

11. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

it doesn't take long to clean the balls, just a few mins
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

13. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Glad you are finding the site helpful.

You can save the money on the DVD's - all the information you will need is here, and the members can fill in anything that may be missing. Many of us restore vintage machines as a side business, and we are always ready to assist.

As for the frame, I have fixed many by squirting wood glue in the joints and then securing the corners with drywall screws (holes pre-drilled to prevent splitting, of course ). As for taking the frame apart, in my experience the corners are cross-nailed, so pulling apart the frame at the corners is difficult and usually causes more damage. Once the frame is sturdy, there should be about a 2-4 degree backward tilt to the play field. The machines were designed to have the tilt so that the balls drain properly from the bottom of the play field.

You can find Pachinko balls in various quantities on eBay. If you can get them for .04-.05 cents per ball after shipping is calculated in, then you got a fair deal. I have purchased them from a seller called goldenstatetraders1 many times and have always had a great experience. Just remember - the larger quantity you buy, the cheaper they will be per ball.

I think that addresses most of your questions. Keep them coming and we will keep responding.

~ Jeff
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

nice looking machine for a first buy.. glad to see ya got it lit and working

Welcome to Pachitalk
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

17. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

to Pachitalk

First off I thought I'd post the pictures for member who can't access them easily.
    7916090244_5ea8d988fc.jpg7916090778_b57ac7b65f.jpg7916093586_cb20958803.jpg7916092170_688658bf1d.jpg

Sounds like you got it for a decent price.

I actually have the same exact model machine. It is a 73 Nishijin Model B with the "5 tunnel" center and the "NVE" background. Below is some pictures of mine.

025.jpg029.jpg

If you have any questions just ask And once again welcome to PT.

-Max

100 machines and counting...

19. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks guys. I'll reply more in depth when I'm need a computer. I don't want to type out another long message on this phone. Lil.

Anyway, I haven't taken the machine apart yet. Have to setup a decent place to do the restore first. Today I was able to get all the stuck balls out of the tulips. Also I fixed the anchor in the ball loading area. It wasn't dropping when the hopper was empty. I think someone didn't know what the lifter that's attached to the anchor was so they just bent it straight up.

I tested cleaning some of the chrome frame with a bit of brasso. It came out nice and shiny. So I'll have to work on getting the front off. Then clean and polish. Lastly, I have the balls soaking in some CLR. I'll try and get as much of the rust off that I can.

More later

21. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think you are right, the CLR ate my balls =| Theres a joke there, but not really. I think it disolved some of the chrome finish =(

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, I'll save the money for balls, god knows we all need more balls in our machines.

Thanks for the tip about the frame. I bought some wood glue today at wallyworld. My father in law is a carpenter so i will have him assist with the frame and cabinet. Does the frame need to be finished or anything, or do most leave the frame as is?

Thanks, I did see them Goldenstatetraders1 on eBay when I did a search for pachinko balls. I saved them in a search, so I can reference later, when I near the completion of my adventure with this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    Glad you are finding the site helpful.

You can save the money on the DVD's - all the information you will need is here, and the members can fill in anything that may be missing. Many of us restore vintage machines as a side business, and we are always ready to assist.

As for the frame, I have fixed many by squirting wood glue in the joints and then securing the corners with drywall screws (holes pre-drilled to prevent splitting, of course ). As for taking the frame apart, in my experience the corners are cross-nailed, so pulling apart the frame at the corners is difficult and usually causes more damage. Once the frame is sturdy, there should be about a 2-4 degree backward tilt to the play field. The machines were designed to have the tilt so that the balls drain properly from the bottom of the play field.

You can find Pachinko balls in various quantities on eBay. If you can get them for .04-.05 cents per ball after shipping is calculated in, then you got a fair deal. I have purchased them from a seller called goldenstatetraders1 many times and have always had a great experience. Just remember - the larger quantity you buy, the cheaper they will be per ball.

I think that addresses most of your questions. Keep them coming and we will keep responding.

~ Jeff

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks so much for the info! It's great to know the year, or very approximate year of my machine so quickly! I'd like to see if you have the same blotchiness on your cell as I do mine. Not sure if there was some water damage done to mine. Ill try and post a really clear closeup photo in the next couple days.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    to Pachitalk

First off I thought I'd post the pictures for member who can't access them easily.
    7916090244_5ea8d988fc.jpg7916090778_b57ac7b65f.jpg7916093586_cb20958803.jpg7916092170_688658bf1d.jpg

Sounds like you got it for a decent price.

I actually have the same exact model machine. It is a 73 Nishijin Model B with the "5 tunnel" center and the "NVE" background. Below is some pictures of mine.

025.jpg029.jpg

If you have any questions just ask And once again welcome to PT.

-Max

26. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Withoutink View Post
    Thanks so much for the info! It's great to know the year, or very approximate year of my machine so quickly! I'd like to see if you have the same blotchiness on your cell as I do mine. Not sure if there was some water damage done to mine. Ill try and post a really clear closeup photo in the next couple days.
    The best close up photo I can post is the one attached. As the machine is racked with about 10 other machines around it. So I would have to move all of those to get it. But the picture is pretty hi-res so it has a lot of detail.

The cell on mine isn't heavily water stained. It has a few light ones but not in major areas on the playfield. (They are kinda off to the side.) Only issue with my cell is it is slightly faded and dirty.

If need be member cardwwi here makes a reproduction background.
    NVEcp.jpg
    Pachinko Background Art

He makes great backgrounds and provides great instructions for installing them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mxfaiman; 09-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.

100 machines and counting...

28. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Awesome thanks for the info and the link. I'll compare mine to your shot.

30. The following user says "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Putting the rebuild on hold for a little bit, as we may be moving soon. Im going to have the itch for a bit till I get this started. At least it is working. Just need to order some shiny balls.

32. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Withoutink

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi Withoutink.

All the balls I've ever gotten with pachinko machines have been either rusty, non-shiny or cracked/broken, wrong size or common ball bearings. Sometimes I look them over and try to save the more decent ones which appear to have the oldest parlor engravings but the others make the most excellent sling shot ammo one could ever have. I would never, ever consider cleaning a rusty ball and put it back into the general pachinko ball population. I might as well put a sphere shaped metal file in there. Same effect.

Welcome to Pachitalk!
    If you enjoy my pachinko, pinball and pachislo YouTube videos, please "like" them at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

34. The following user says "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFury View Post

All the balls I've ever gotten with pachinko machines have been either rusty, non-shiny or cracked/broken, wrong size or common ball bearings. Sometimes I look them over and try to save the more decent ones which appear to have the oldest parlor engravings but the others make the most excellent sling shot ammo one could ever have. I would never, ever consider cleaning a rusty ball and put it back into the general pachinko ball population. I might as well put a sphere shaped metal file in there. Same effect.
    please feel free to box any Pachinko balls you have or may get and ill be more then happy to pay the frieght to Cali..

once Proerly cleaned i see no reason to reuse pachinko balls.. I have ran totaly rusted balls thew my tumbler.. (balls i thought would be junk) and they come out looking brand new.. some times there not as shinny but thats rare
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

36. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances