Thread: Sankyo Flying Carpet - Newb Needs help/machine info/advice on repairs

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Question Sankyo Flying Carpet - Newb Needs help/machine info/advice on repairs

I successfully fixed my non-electronic Nishijin Super Deluxe Battle of the Monkey and Crab pachinko about 2 years ago and have really wanted to have a modern machine ever since then. I found a non-working Sankyo Flying Carpet Machine at a pawn shop, which appeared to need minor repairs and reeked of an old bottle of cheap cologne that was spilled on it pretty recently.

Machine Information Questions from Me:

####A. Does anyone know the date the machine was made and used?
    ####B. Are there any English language repair and maintenance videos or books on how to take care of my machine?
    ####C. What would one of these cost when I have totally fixed it? Was an investment of $63 + a small trade-in to a local pawn shop worth it if I resell this??
    ####D. Are there any other places where I can also get information? I tried Pachinko Man, but he was nice and stated he only works with vintage models (IE non-electronic versions).

These are the main problems I am facing or have tried to fix:

1. ball launching motor did not work (it was not plugged in initially and still does not always work when the handle is turned)
    **********could this mean time for a new ball launching motor? I know almost nothing on soldering.
    **********how much would a replacement motor cost & how much would it cost me to repair this on my own?

2. The ball path to the losing bucket was rerouted to the overflow tray by breaking it off from the inside (I fixed this with a drill, chisel, and hot glue)

3. The Flying Carpet Genie and the sliding "V" trough do not move - the display motor does not appear to use all the gears other than to open the swords.
    *****************could this mean I simply need to open the gear box and reattach some gears that may have slipped?
    ********* what would be the cost of replacing this motor?

4. The pachinko was Jerry-rigged into a cheap plywood frame by wedging it into place with 2 old wood shims glued to the bottom of the pachinko's wooden bottom as feet from a staircase step. This machine is front heavy and falls forward if opened. (I have tried to fix this by drilling wood screws from the case to 1/2 inch into the wooden frame of the machine on all 4 sides, but it is still front heavy and I need to know what weights can be suggested)

5. There are 1-2 wires that appear to connect to nothing, but I know they have a purpose:
    ***********One wire is a bright green wire coming from the top left of the machine's back, down alongside the side of the door towards the base of the machine (what is this for and how do I replace it)

***********The other wire appears to connect to the "GO" green light to say the machine is ready to use on the jackpot, but I am not sure what It connects to

6. What do "7 & 13" Mean?
    *******The digital display below the flying carpet ball catcher only shows 2 "0"s and the front of the machine says there is a new number for each play---> what does that mean?

7. There is a dark blue digital display looking plastic square at the bottom left of the front screen in the play area - what does this do and where does it attach?

8. The only winning ball holes that appear to cause the machine to play sounds or flash lights are the "Chance Zone" 1x, 2x, 1x cups at the very bottom of the play area. Are other areas supposed to make the machine also make lights and sound or are these it? Also, how would I make the lights and sounds work for the other holes?

*******The back computer case is still sealed in its original wrapper with japanese stamp seal on it and has all wires that need to connect to it seeming to be properly connected.

9. There is what appears to be a volume switch on the back of the upper ball tray where the balls are dispensed into the launcher, but it is written in Japanese. What does that switch do?

10. Are there any other switches that I am overlooking for running & maintaining the machine that I do not know about?

Thanks again for any advice one can give this newb! --John

2. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Cheverisi

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Flying Carpet - Newb Needs help/machine info/advice on repairs

Pictures are a must

1. ball launching motor did not work (it was not plugged in initially and still does not always work when the handle is turned)
    **********could this mean time for a new ball launching motor? I know almost nothing on soldering.
    **********how much would a replacement motor cost & how much would it cost me to repair this on my own?
    Could be bad earth on handle, (make sure you hold the knob firmly all the way round and touching the metal ring.
    No dongle if one required, 25 pin D connector in the back
    stuck push button on side of shooter knob.
    Blown fuse,
    Broken.

3. The Flying Carpet Genie and the sliding "V" trough do not move - the display motor does not appear to use all the gears other than to open the swords.
    *****************could this mean I simply need to open the gear box and reattach some gears that may have slipped?
    ********* what would be the cost of replacing this motor?
    Check fuses and connectors before taking anything apart. Try to find a video on youtube of the center feature in action so you know what its meant to do

5. There are 1-2 wires that appear to connect to nothing, but I know they have a purpose:
    ***********One wire is a bright green wire coming from the top left of the machine's back, down alongside the side of the door towards the base of the machine (what is this for and how do I replace it)
    Could be the earth/ground wire.

6. What do "7 & 13" Mean?
    *******The digital display below the flying carpet ball catcher only shows 2 "0"s and the front of the machine says there is a new number for each play---> what does that mean?
    7 and 13 are the payouts. 7 for a pocket and 13 for the center feature during ootari I guess this is a hanemono. When the ball goes in either the no1 or no2 pockets the center feature should open quickley. If you get a ball in there and it lands in the right place. its jackpot time

7. There is a dark blue digital display looking plastic square at the bottom left of the front screen in the play area - what does this do and where does it attach?
    Its probably a credit display for the CR system. Should be 2 buttons on the front of the machine as well.

8. The only winning ball holes that appear to cause the machine to play sounds or flash lights are the "Chance Zone" 1x, 2x, 1x cups at the very bottom of the play area. Are other areas supposed to make the machine also make lights and sound or are these it? Also, how would I make the lights and sounds work for the other holes?
    Yep that sounds about right. If you want the other pockets to start the center feayire, you would have to splice ball sensors in to the cel and connect that in parrallel with the original ones. I don' advise this as it may not work. All the sankyo sensors I've tested use a drop in resistance to trigger a signal, Adding another sensor might screw it up.

9. There is what appears to be a volume switch on the back of the upper ball tray where the balls are dispensed into the launcher, but it is written in Japanese. What does that switch do?
    Could be a volume switch. If so it adjusts the volume.
    normal 3 settings. loud, very loud and ear bleeding
    Ian #UKPachinko

4. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Sankyo Flying Carpet - Newb Needs help/machine info/advice on repairs

pictures please - front and back.

WELCOME!!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the machine.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I have been taking pictures of the machine with my pretty average run of the mill Sony digital camera, with the changes to the mounting frame to hold the pachinko in place, my handsome sweaty face in the middle of cleaning out the insides of the machine with my handy dremel and screw drivers in hand, as well as pictures of the inside parts and the serial numbers I found on the inside top of the door + the motor. I think whoever said ground wire may be correct and would love to know how to fix these, as I currently know nothing about wiring, coming from a background in healthcare and having only repaired an otherwise non-electronic 1970's single payout pachinko.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the ball track spring-slider cover for a 1974 (1976?) Nishijin Sophia Super Deluxe Monkey and Crab Battle Pachinko and what I can expect to pay for one, before I simply crazy glue // hot glue some old lego floor plates to the track?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cardwii has them on his site for sale... $20

http://pachinkorestorations.com/Nishijinb2cp.JPG

Try setting your camera to the lowest resolution like 500k or so. Then you can upload pictures.

There are a couple of fuses, you can check those with an ohm meter; the resistance should not be infinity. I have seen a lot of machines with a green ground wire loose that does NOT need to be hooked up for it to work. Not sure what color wire you have or what it is hooked up to.
    Last edited by CarlW; 08-18-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    PACHINKO - Nishijin Model A, 2005 Newgin Cutie Honey, 2015 TAKAO Queen's Blade 2
    BUBBLE HOCKEY - SUPER CHEXX PRO | MAME - 4 Player Entertainment Center
    PINBALL - Williams Grand Lizard

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Cheverisi View Post
    I have been taking pictures of the machine with my pretty average run of the mill Sony digital camera, with the changes to the mounting frame to hold the pachinko in place, my handsome sweaty face in the middle of cleaning out the insides of the machine with my handy dremel and screw drivers in hand, as well as pictures of the inside parts and the serial numbers I found on the inside top of the door + the motor.
    Hello

If you are unsure how to attach / upload pics to your posts, this link should explain:

How to Post Pictures!!

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

10. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It has been quite a while and I now have pictures of my first attempt to repair my machine + its parts.

Currently, everything works except for the ball launching motor, which only turns on about 10-20% of the time when the knob is turned and it cannot control exactly how hard the balls are hit nor their direction. I am looking for advice on these two topics:

1. BIG PROBLEM - the ball launcher motor does not turn on when I turn the knob, despite being "fully" connected to its plugin ports. This weekend, I decided to check inside the red knob assembly, itself, and realized that there is a third loose-hanging white electric wire with a loop for a screw that appears to be the grounding wire, but there is no other end where it needs to connect to. The black and yellow + // - wires are correctly attached, so when the device powers up, it can launch balls.

Where in the world do the 3 wires correctly attach to??? There is also a set of male connecting pins (2x1 pin setup with japanese text that I do not know) on the main circuit board that has nothing attached to them, and I believe this may be where they go. Furthermore, along the left edge on the back of the machine, there is a loose green wire with a female connection that appears to go nowhere - what is this for... and is it related to the ball launcher wire

To complicate this, I bungled up and accidentally knocked both the spring coil and the knob's string-cam assembly loose, but I figured out the basics of how it got loose -- however, any advice on this spring and cam knob assembly would be great (I forgot to bring my camera this time as the machine is at my family's vacation home).

The launcher (when working) almost never launches any balls into the left side of the playfield and my only option that I saw was a large screw with arrows pointing left // right near the launching motor assembly; this helped some but is this the correct way to correct the launcher's field direction (I would prefer the balls to land somewhere near mid-field to give a balanced landing chance). How do you correct the ball launcher's aim on the playfield?

Last, if all else fails, did the 1987 Sankyo Flying Carpet machine come with an alternative manual ball launcher like older models (Such as my 1976 Nishijin Super Deluxe Model B Monkey & Crab battle)?? If so, where can I buy one?

If my launcher is totally ruined, where can I replace it and how much would it cost me?

Finally, how much are these really worth in working condition?

I purchased my machine for $60.00 US$ + trading a cheap easy chair back massaging mat (I think I bought the mat for about $20). Was this a good purchase?

This is a link to the photos of my experience that started late last summer of 2012: Flying Carpet Pachinko Amateur Repair Experience Photos by jshieldsMOTL | Photobucket

12. The following user says "Thanks" to Cheverisi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Unhappy Re: Sankyo Flying Carpet - Newb Needs help/machine info/advice on repairs

Now that I have looked the machine over for issues pertaining to the ball launching motor not working, I realized that the white ground wire within the launching handle was not attached to anything and at this point do not know what it attaches to. I made an even worse mistake by forgetting to photograph the disassembly process of the handle and am now stuck trying to find another set of instructions for putting the launching knob assembly back together. This is what I am looking for on advice & I apologize as a total newb if it may seem like a troll (that obviously does not speak Japanese to read Japanese guides), but:

1. Does anyone know where I can find a photographic guide (preferably in English) to reassemble the ball launching knob for Late 1980's Sankyo Pachinkos?

2. What do I attach the ground wire loop to?

3. If the ground wire // wiring is not the problem, where can I buy a replacement motor & how much do they usually cost?

4. Is there a way to convert the automatic handle (with instructions) into a manual handle like older models such as my Nishijin Monkey & Crab Battle Super Deluxe machine have?

Again, I am really appreciative of all this information and would love any advice from veteran restorers so that I can gain further knowledge as a rookie apprentice pachinko restorer!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is this the Magic Carpet Machine that is in the Sankyo Victory frame?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First of all, since Pachinko is not something you find in Middle-of-Nowhere, America (My current living area), What in the world is a Victory Frame? I am still new to this. Some good news: I finally reassembled the ball launching knob, reattached the grounding wire, and the plastic assembly this weekend from memory without pictures and it took me about 1-2 hours to figure out.

Before finding that your skin must come in contact with the metal plate on the ball launcher's grounding circuit for the knob to work, I was stumped as to why my motor seemed defective. I finally found a way to jerry rig the ground wire to the wire facing on the knob, after reading a random modern pachinko post, and noticed that there was a loose red L-shaped piece of plastic floating around in the inner assembly. I saw what the piece may have attached to inside, but the piece blocked the ball propelling arm when screwed back into the slot it had fit. I ended up unscrewing this weird red L piece and the ball launching arm worked perfectly.

My question now is where does it go? -- There is a small opening for a screw on one part of the plate on the L and an anchoring stud beside it that would fit into a small hole, like a screw, but the only area it fit ended up blocking my launching arm from playing the balls in the machine.

I also found what a missing green wire went to on the side of the machine, that had a slot alongside the slot where the motor's electric cord plugs into the main machine. It appears to light up the Sankyo logo on the side of the machine, but the light is missing, along with the connecting wire, and is probably not going to be fixed.

Lastly, if this will help with the display, there are 2 "Go" lights that blink during the jackpot rounds on the machine to describe it for detail.

I will include more pictures below of what I have:
    http://http://i926.photobucket.com/a...psd7e46857.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps49997872.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse5d7f088.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps40cc2fa8.jpg

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2b2313fe.jpg

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First of all, since Pachinko is not something you find in Middle-of-Nowhere, America (My current living area), What in the world is a Victory Frame?

'Victory' is the name of a frame manufactured by Sankyo roughly between 2002 and 2004, manufacturers use different frames over the years and certain games can be put into certain frames, so for members that 'cell swap' it's always handy to know what frame you have so if you don't have room for another full complete pachinko, you can just buy a cell and pop it in the frame. (It's also helpful when trouble shooting - members may not have the specific game in question but may have another in the same frame and can assist).

Here is a handy link that shows some frames and names, date, etc they were used, if you click on each you will also find a list of some games that fit each frame, for instance the 'Victory' frame shows 20+ games.

Sorry I can't help with the trouble shooting, but hopefully other members can offer advise

Angie ...

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

errr judging by the photobucket pictures, Thats not a victory frame Its labelled as a steller 2000

Single green wires are normally the earth/ground. as lighting ciruits normally have 2 wire loom,
    Ian #UKPachinko

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for the information - this was bought at a pawn shop and the victory thing is pretty cool to hear about, given that one can swap different pachinko layouts with it. I remembered the layers of machine assembly unhooked from the back for quick maintenance and reassembly and that explains the easy swapping on the machine. Thank you a ton!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    errr judging by the photobucket pictures, Thats not a victory frame Its labelled as a steller 2000

Single green wires are normally the earth/ground. as lighting ciruits normally have 2 wire loom,
    Thanks for the information - this was bought at a pawn shop and the victory thing is pretty cool to hear about, given that one can swap different pachinko layouts with it. I remembered the layers of machine assembly unhooked from the back for quick maintenance and reassembly and that explains the easy swapping on the machine. Thank you a ton!

As member Drunkenclam says above, yours is NOT in the Victory frame, it's showing as a 'Stellar 2000' frame

so please disregard my earlier post regarding the games that fit Victory as these are not relevant to your machine

I'm not sure about what if any games are interchangeable with the 'Stellar 2000'

stellar 2000.jpg
    Angie ...