Thread: My wife bought a Monako Super Star 2..

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default My wife bought a Monako Super Star 2..

Well to my surprise the wife bought a Monako - Super Star 2 machine today. And seeing as I am only one week into owning any pachinko machines (first was a free vintage "HERE") I am undoubtedly over my head with this one, lol.

She saw it on CL, emailed the guy and we went and picked it up. Her reasoning was "I need one for me and cause its pink", I cant argue with that kind of logic.

anyways on to pictures and then my questions b/c I think something is funky with the shooter..

IMG_0588.jpg IMG_0567.jpg IMG_0568.jpg IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0572.jpg IMG_0573.jpg IMG_0575.jpg IMG_0576.jpg IMG_0577.jpg

This will take 2 posts...

2. The following 9 users say "Thanks" to 6of1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

She's a keeper! The wife not the machine. Thinking about it they both are.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My wife bought a Monako Super Star 2..

"My wife bought a Monako Super Star 2..."

...and you were so mad you're gonna immediately sell it to me?

Is that how it goes?
    There is always another machine around the corner...

5. The following user says "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    She's a keeper! The wife not the machine. Thinking about it they both are.
    yeah I guess I will keep her "them" around

Here is the second set of pics..

IMG_0588.jpg IMG_0578.jpg IMG_0579.jpg IMG_0580.jpg IMG_0581.jpg IMG_0582.jpg IMG_0583.jpg IMG_0584.jpg IMG_0585.jpg

and as I was saying in my first post, something seems wonky in the shooter (maybe its common on these type machines).
    -First of all the "knob" doesn't return to the start position.. is it suppose to?
    -Second, I'm getting allot of double loads onto the launcher what could be causing this? I don't think its weak shots (not that its easy to tell)
    -Anyone know of a manual scan / pdf for this thing? (I would like to get an understanding of what triggers what on the playfield and if there is a way to increase the probability of jackpots on the center feature)
    -On the back there is a sticker that reads "7 or 15" is there a way to set the payout or it just decides on its own (I haven't got 15 yet).

I wasn't too afraid of the vintage machine when I tore it down and did a super cleaning on it, but this one scares me.
    Looking at the back of this one makes me think of 2 things:
    1. This is what my vintage would look like if it was assimilated by the "Borg"..
    or
    2. A coke machine ate my vintage machine

Thanks everyone!!

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to 6of1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    "My wife bought a Monako Super Star 2..."

...and you were so mad you're gonna immediately sell it to me?

Is that how it goes?
    LOL.. how much ya got? just kiddin i couldn't do that to her

Thanks
    Thanks Received

whats up with the shooter.. can ya describe the problem??
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    whats up with the shooter.. can ya describe the problem??
    well yes and no. since I have never used one of these machines before its kinda greek to me. I will try and describe what it does and you tell me if it should be doing things differently.

-load shooter tray, balls fall into the loader just as they do on my vintage..
    -When i just touch the chrome part of the knob i hear a click like a micro-switch (I assume this is normal, like a arm switch)..
    -Press little white button (locks out the shooter motor from launching no matter how far the knob is twisted clockwise) (I assume this is normal)..
    -For the first 45deg of clockwise rotation there is NO resistance, ball motor shoots (I assume the ball shooting is correct, but no resistance for 45deg makes me wonder if something isn't sprung right) If I let go of the knob it doesn't return to 0deg, just stays at 45deg...
    -When i twist the knob to its stopping point (90deg) the ball shoots harder (hard enough to make it to the far side of the play-field) but going from 45deg to 90deg feels not gritty exactly but binding sort of.. (I assume distance is fine but the binding/gritty feel?)
    -When I let go of the knob at 90deg it returns to 45deg..

This is maybe separate issue but this thing likes to double load the shooter ramp (like a weak shot or pulling the handle on a vintage down then slowly bring it back up)..

How many post does it take to NOT be moderated anymore?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

look up at post #4, moderation kinda threw my replies out of wack.. 11 posts now, maybe this one wont get stuck, twisting my fingers!!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    look up at post #4, moderation kinda threw my replies out of wack.. 11 posts now, maybe this one wont get stuck, twisting my fingers!!
    Sorry about the moderation, you were posting whilst I was sleeping

The moderation can be a little inconvenient, but it is all part of what keeps the site a nice friendly environment,

Hopefully you should be okay now
    but any problems give me a shout and I'll do my best to help.

Angie ...
    Pachinkos, Pachislos, Coffee, Papercraft Ninja, Pinball

I ran away with the Steampunk Circus!
    I was hiding in a room in my mind...
    You crush the lily in my soul...

13. The following user says "Thanks" to hanabi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by hanabi View Post
    Sorry about the moderation, you were posting whilst I was sleeping

The moderation can be a little inconvenient, but it is all part of what keeps the site a nice friendly environment,

Hopefully you should be okay now
    but any problems give me a shout and I'll do my best to help.

no problem, I understand it.. I assumed after 5 posts I woulda been free of it, lol.
    Thanks

15. The following user says "Thanks" to 6of1

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If someone has a machine like this one and can take some pics of the shooter springs and steel string parts I would appreciate it.. I will take a few more myself and point out where i think the problems are, but I have nothing to gauge it by since I've never played one like this. I'm actually beginning to think the knob return spring isn't the right one.

should it return to its zero point?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Ok, I think I have found the problem, but it gets worse before it gets better..

This is the way the cable that goes from the knob to the spring is now..

IMG_0585 pullys.JPG

I am getting the feeling that the cable should be OVER TOP of the upper yellow pulley. Can someone confirm this?

Also, is this cable/steel string a part i can buy or is it going to be a DIY fix? It is very frayed where the loop is for the spring and on its last leg.

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

My monako is still sitting in its packing box I'll see if I can have a look at my shooter this weekend if no one else has info
    Ian #UKPachinko

19. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile Re: My wife bought a Monako Super Star 2..

I probably can't help much but here goes..

-First of all the "knob" doesn't return to the start position.. is it suppose to?
    Yes..

-Anyone know of a manual scan / pdf for this thing? (I would like to get an understanding of what triggers what on the playfield and if there is a way to increase the probability of jackpots on the center feature)
    No manuals, sorry..You can look at my kenrimono how to to get a sort of idea of how this kind of machine is played..Which is probably something like get a ball in the center to mach numbers or get it in the V hole, then if you do that then it will probably start making new sounds then you'll need to shoot for the spinny thing on the right, get one in there, the door opens shoot in there till it closes then back to the spinny thing, door, spinny thing, door until your bonus is over..

Maruhon Double Game (kenrimono) Play Guide!!

You can't change the odds, you can only adjust the nails around pockets for a better chance of getting a ball in..

-On the back there is a sticker that reads "7 or 15" is there a way to set the payout or it just decides on its own (I haven't got 15 yet).
    7 and 15 are the payouts for this machine..Probably 7 balls for the start pocket and other pockets and 15 for when you're in a bonus and probably getting balls in the door at the bottom right..

-Press little white button (locks out the shooter motor from launching no matter how far the knob is twisted clockwise) (I assume this is normal)..
    yes thats normal..

Looks like yours is from '92!!

1992July Super Star II actual board lit

Sorry, thats all I've got for now

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

21. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Good News Update!!

I did get the shooter knob issues worked out. It was the cable/steel string & pulley that was the problem (look at post 12) the cable should definitely be OVER TOP of the UPPER pulley. the drag and gritty feeling was b/c the cable was grinding on the shooter motor mounting post, this also caused the cable to be too long and it wouldn't pull the knob back to 0deg. The bad news is I will have to replace that cable (loops and crimp clamps also) b/c of how frayed it is at the base of the loop. if the cable is made up of 20 strands, I have 10 left if I'm lucky.

Thanks MrGiness, I am going to have a look at that thread & video as soon as I'm done typing this, understanding all the combos on this thing is confusing to say the least..

Drunkenclam, thanks for the offer but i think I'm good now, but you should still get it out the box

23. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to 6of1

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Its safe in the box, I can't wall mount it till I get the correct lock cylinder for it
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenclam View Post
    Its safe in the box, I can't wall mount it till I get the correct lock cylinder for it
    I just got done rebuilding a cast iron & wood park bench that the guy around the block was trashing b/c it was rotten and now the wife wants me to build cabinets for ours (i have some left over MDF, i might just give it a go). The locks and play-field door are the reason I haven't started. I really don't like the idea of having holes drilled in in the sides to open them up with a finger... both of the machines use tubular keys and the one on the vintage machine I haven't figured out how to remove yet.

on another note.. while at H-Depot today I looked for small enough cable to replace the one on the shooter and found jack. Family is coming over for dinner tomorrow, I hope it holds up..