Thread: Is there a export ban on Used Modern Pachinko Machines from Japan? 2011 models

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Is there a export ban on Used Modern Pachinko Machines from Japan? 2011 models

Hi everyone,

Can anybody explain to me briefly what is the hurdle one(a foreigner, of course) has to cross to successfully ship a modern pachinko machine out of Japan?

I just get an impression that getting one out is so hard. The Japanese government must somehow be against it?

David

Stuey - The RADministrator MrGneiss's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Is there a export ban on Used Modern Pachinko Machines from Japan? 2011 mode

Well many members in the US and UK get machines from Japan..I think the main reason more people don't do it is just the shipping costs..

"Blowing smoke rings at the moon."

3. The following user says "Thanks" to MrGneiss

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Is there a export ban on Used Modern Pachinko Machines from Japan? 2011 mode

the recyclers are also paying money for the machines and I think it is easy for the parlors to just dump them all to the same place vs. trying to deal with sales of one or even a few to collectors or dealers
    the

LLTR

5. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried to buy balls direct from dealers and they just didn't seem interested in selling to anyone outside of Japan. In the end I used a third party to buy them and ship them to me. Same product, same shop but adds to the total costs I don't know why. It's the same with anime cels. Small very lightweight. Only needs to be put between 2 pieces of card and the enveloped and sent. But a lot don't want to do it.

As for machines I have had 2 sent in the past 3 months and hope to get another sent next week (2005, 2009 and 2010) if you want something from a dealer, I'm afraid your going to have to use a 3rd party like Juno
    Last edited by Drunkenclam; 01-17-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Ian #UKPachinko

7. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

Good luck in your search... seems like machines are rare in your area of the world
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi David,

The Japanese government are not about denying their citizens income, no.

It's simply logistics for the Japanese - they don't have English as their primary language, most are afraid to speak or write it because they fear they'll get it wrong, and companies who deal with foreigners at this level are very rare indeed for those reasons.

On the gaijin (white guys, you and I) side, the costs and hassle are simply prohibitive. First, you have to find a dealer who can speak English and will want to sell to you. If you can't find that, and use the auction systems (Rakuten/Yahoo etc), you need an agent because the auction Sellers won't deal with you direct (see previous reasons). If you use an Agent, they need to pack, secure, and then freight the machine to you - you can't use the postal system (too big, too heavy). Second, the freight costs with DHL and other worldwide carriers is exorbitant and not very safe. So you'll probably end up getting a berth on a ship bound for your country - with the all the associated customs duties, taxes and costs that go with using a freight forwading agency once it arrives this end.

A machine that costs only a few hundred at the Japanese end, may cost many thousands by the time it reaches Australia (all costs included). Most people don't believe it is worth the $$$.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

10. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Some of the machines, the Matrix for example I have heard that the makers are actually taking recycling them back from the halls so not that many machines get out.
    Also with new machines, they tend to stay domestic obviously due to there still being demand.

Of course, like candyflip said, it is a fact that Japanese are not very good with dealing with outsiders because they feel that if something goes wrong they will not be able to handle it.

12. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to ComatsuTrading

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It sounds like allot of Japanese are afraid of looking dumb making a mistake what a shame

I truly wish more Americans felt that way

we used to think before we acted.. now we jsut act out and dont care what others think
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The Japanes are very concerned about losing face speaking English improperly even tho they learni t in the public schools there.
    It's the same in the Philippines, they would rather say nothing than shame themselves by getting it wrong.

16. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The thing is, when I asked for balls, The email I sent was in perfect Japanese, (checked by my tutor) included a list of my machines with pictures to prove I was serious and the chance to do repeat business, with known shipping costs, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. The reply I got back was also in Japanese saying thank you for your enquiry, But we do not export to outside of Japan.
    Ian #UKPachinko

18. The following user says "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

yea thats the sad truth, Japanese dont like to deal with Gaijin...

20. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to ComatsuTrading

Thanks
    Thanks Received

One day I would love to lead a pachinko buying expedition to Japan, so you can all experience first hand just how incredibly different the Japanese are to any nation you've met before. Of course, it would have the added extra benefit of securing hundreds of AWESOME machines for ourselves!!

The Japanese don't need us - they don't need anyone. If it wasn't for lack of ability to grow enough of their own food and export $$, they'd close their borders tomorrow and be perfectly happy in their seclusion. They LOVE who they are, and what they have, and anything else is a bit of distraction, frankly.

No judgement - that's just who they are. I gotta respect that.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

22. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

being an island will do that to ya I guess

24. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to ComatsuTrading

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
    One day I would love to lead a pachinko buying expedition to Japan, so you can all experience first hand just how incredibly different the Japanese are to any nation you've met before. Of course, it would have the added extra benefit of securing hundreds of AWESOME machines for ourselves!!

The Japanese don't need us - they don't need anyone. If it wasn't for lack of ability to grow enough of their own food and export $$, they'd close their borders tomorrow and be perfectly happy in their seclusion. They LOVE who they are, and what they have, and anything else is a bit of distraction, frankly.

No judgement - that's just who they are. I gotta respect that.
    sounds like my house Damn i need to get out more

26. The following user says "Thanks" to Moparformances

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cough cough

Nothing wrong with. Being an island.
    Ian #UKPachinko

28. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Drunkenclam

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There are over 7,000 islands in the Philippines!

30. The following user says "Thanks" to Steve Cebu