Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Any Takers?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Any Takers?

The problem with one shots is this:

1) No guarantee on the condition of anything, they wont let you sit and test every machine and it doesn't seem like they're going to do that either
    2) No definite number of how many of each they have
    3) No intention to transfer the site information, or contacts in japan
    4) Most machines listed are older machines
    5) They're trying to get retail values, meaning little (if any) resale value
    6) Local pick-up only

They may be best off if they get an offer to sell it at once, but I guarantee no buyer will look at a lot like this and purchase the entire thing. Especially if they were out and out lying about numerous things to me when I asked questions, I guarantee they'll probably do the same to others, and once again, no buyer will put in that much money on something without doing research. If they want someone to come in and buy the whole lot, they need to go far above and beyond what they're already doing, like dropping the prices to allow atleast some resale value, getting an exact inventory, with both physical and working conditions (which surprises me they don't have this to begin with), get exact names/types/models of every game they have in stock, and take pictures of everything for people to be able to see what they are buying. They did literally the bare minimum at this point and it's far too risky for anyone to buy the entire lot.
    Last edited by wandererwillow; 01-22-2012 at 01:42 PM.

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

even if they sold the whole deal

300 machines divided by 25 grand comes out to a little over 83.00 a machine plus balls and all the other stuff.

I don't even think they would take 25 grand if offered it

they aren't considering buyers cost of moving and storing it all in their price
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The 25 grand is a beginning price and they have a reserve. I brought that up when I mentioned the divided cost per machine, and they said "oh no, that 25 grand is far from what we'll take, that's why we put a reserve on it. There's atleast 150k of value in that from the machines alone."

Wouldn't be surprised if it was atleast 75k-100k that they put the reserve at.

5. The following user says "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I honestly think what they are trying to sell has a value of 10,000 - 12,000 max as a lump sale.
    the

LLTR

7. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

And all I wanted was a Planet of the Apes pachinko machine. They were selling them below $200 last year and I should have got one then. I already bought Star Wars Vader and Rocky machines from them last year. We can talk all we want about what they should do, but at the end of the day we don't know how much they have invested in inventory and misc parts.

Oh well, we shall see what happens.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
    And all I wanted was a Planet of the Apes pachinko machine. They were selling them below $200 last year and I should have got one then. I already bought Star Wars Vader and Rocky machines from them last year. We can talk all we want about what they should do, but at the end of the day we don't know how much they have invested in inventory and misc parts.

Oh well, we shall see what happens.
    Just remember, they are trying to get rid of all the stock for a business at one time to one person without the name, reputation, contacts or a way to keep it going. When you close a business and are in a hurry to get out you can not expect to recover all of your investment if it is not the business itself being sold.
    I think in the end greed is going to burn them big time buy not being realistic on a wholesale value for the "crap hat we did not sell" sale when trying to lie and push for a retail price.
    the

LLTR

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've been saying all this right along. This is not going to work out selling to one person at above retail. Heck, even at $25K it's overpriced.
    As I said previously, I would offer them $10K cash, if I had room to store it. Then I'd give them my phone # and email and
    let them get back to me if they are interested. Eventually they will be. Because without buying the entire business of Slot-Pachinko
    all you are getting is 300 older pachinko machines and some balls and a few other things.
    As a business it's not worth it, for collectors it's not worth it either, not all the machines at once.
    It' an interesting ongoing drama tho

12. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Exactly. Even if they decide to keep the business going, they're basically stuck with a lot of older machines that probably didn't sell when they initially had them and are going to try to get more for them than they're worth. It's alright, if they can our offer once more, then I'm just going to do exactly that...give him my number, say that we were generous with our offers, and then if he wants to sell them now he's going to have to take a lower cut. We were willing to give him a pretty reasonable amount for about 20 machines, and he's still not jumping on it. For the same price I offered, I could (and just might) get a few cells I wanted pretty easily.

I'm half tempted to send him the link to this thread and go "People who know what they're talking about say you're wrong."
    Last edited by wandererwillow; 01-22-2012 at 08:29 PM.

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post
    It' an interesting ongoing drama tho
    It sure is

Quote Originally Posted by wandererwillow View Post
    Exactly. Even if they decide to keep the business going, they're basically stuck with a lot of older machines that probably didn't sell when they initially had them and are going to try to get more for them than they're worth.

I'm half tempted to send him the link to this thread and go "People who know what they're talking about say you're wrong."
    The sad thing is after all this runaround, if they do decide to try and keep the business running themselves I will NOT be dealing with them. I may not have trusted everything Curt said but if I was okay with the asking price I at least knew I would get what I paid for and if something was not right it would be taken care of. (never had trouble with anything other than one very dirty machine)

After reading this thread I have no trust at all for his son. He has proven himself to be a total Buller and I would rather spend my money with someone that is honest and friendly.

I do understand that this is hard for everyone on that side with the loss of a close family member but business is business and in this situation clear, realistic thinking is a must.

(stepping off the soap box now)
    the

LLTR

16. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by wandererwillow View Post
    Exactly. Even if they decide to keep the business going, they're basically stuck with a lot of older machines that probably didn't sell when they initially had them and are going to try to get more for them than they're worth. It's alright, if they can our offer once more, then I'm just going to do exactly that...give him my number, say that we were generous with our offers, and then if he wants to sell them now he's going to have to take a lower cut. We were willing to give him a pretty reasonable amount for about 20 machines, and he's still not jumping on it. For the same price I offered, I could (and just might) get a few cells I wanted pretty easily.

First off bad idea to send him the link to this thread. This is our opinions and he isn't going to care about those.
    Second it could give away the gameplan of just waiting them out.
    If all those machines were so great they'd all be gone by now. They are older stock that every company needs but isn't the big selling stuff..
    Think of it like back issues in a comic book store.
    Just tell the guy what you are willing to do and don't make a higher offer, keep it the same or lower it like you are planning to do.
    Sure you might not get the machines but so what, it's not worth the effort and if they want to dicker offer a lower price not a higher one.
    Don't pay more than what you want to pay. You should get a killer bargain if you buy 20 machines. They should at least throw 500 balls in per
    machine.
    Also you have 2 choices push now or wait and see.
    The Push now is you give him a time frame say 2 weeks or a month but no longer than that you can also go 3 days but no less for them to
    accept or reject your cash offer which after that you take your business elsewhere.

The waiting game is make a low offer and let them contact you if they decide it's worth it.
    I know a lot of guys who bargain both ways and do pretty well.

After the initial excitement dies down they'll want to move these machines as quickly as possible.

I'd honestly be very surprised if some of the other vendors weren't negotiating with them already for the whole lot.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

First off bad idea to send him the link to this thread. This is our opinions and he isn't going to care about those.
    That's why I was only half tempted. The obvious downsides are definitely there. I wouldn't have been surprised if other vendors talked to them until I kept reading over the information (or lack there of) listed and how difficult it was just to get the initial inventory list in the first place. I know a lot of us have pledged to make an offer but no one is going to sit on their hands and wait for them to decide. They should have decided what they wanted to do, 100%, BEFORE pushing out the sale of the company. Selling it separately, selling it together, or keeping the business...they should have know exactly what way to go.

However, yeah, with them kind of jerking us around, I don't intend to offer any more than we already have in. I think he thought I'd budge on pricing, but when I came back and said "we're offering this much, and the reasons why are ______" I think he may have realized I'm not just going to take him at his word.

Funny to see that, even at 25k...a value he claimed was far less than what it's worth...the ebay auction hasn't even gotten touched. Should I use that as a reason to lower the offer price, citing that even at approx $80 a machine if you don't even include the extras, they didn't get any bids?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

They already know about this thread and how much you guys are going on about these machines. They're likely entertaining ideas from other vendors and know they can always come back to your offer. Putting a time frame on your offer sounds good but they know you don't have some other deal pending and may need that money. These are pachinkos, not some hotly trade commodity. The more offers and contacting them that anyone does betrays your keen interest. At this point, let them come to you.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

20. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welp, they declined. That's fine, working with someone local on getting one and about to bid on a few from overseas. Sorry to everyone that put in for offers, if you want to contact them directly, go for it. I'm pretty much done, it's been said time and time again that it's not really that good of a feeling to do dealings with someone that isn't being honest at all, so meh. I'll just spend a little more and get exactly what I want.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to wandererwillow

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with emmadog, all that can be done has been done. As for me if I see a list of machines with pictures so I know exactly which model I'd be getting. I might buy one or two from them if the price is right. Otherwise there are other companies with new/er machines and honestly some of those are very very cool!

I don't think they neccesarily should know what to do. Curt dying was unexpected and they probably don't know all that much about the business.
    I hope they sort it all out.

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

I hate to say it but they will let those machines Rot in the warehouse or they will move them to a non-climate controlled area and think that they have Buried Treasure . It's a loss and worse than being "Recycled "
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

25. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've seen this time and again, and not with pachinkos, but pinballs and arcade machines.

Someone who spends 10 years plus getting a warehouse of inventory thinks they are owed the money for the time, labour and SOUL they placed in building it. Unfortunately, that's simply not the case in business. You only pay for what you see - everything else in intangible and worth NOTHING to the stranger.

I've dealt with a pinball guy here (who runs a pinball retail busines) who has the largest inventory of 50-60's old Gottliebs and EM's I have ever seen, stacked into an old warehouse. They are lying on their backs, headboxes beside them, covered in dust. Do you think he wants to part with any of them? Not on your life mister - except for crazy money. Happy to show you through, but not sell any to you.

The collectors mentality can often be a strange one - when it intercepts a business transaction, it can be fatal.
    There is always another machine around the corner...

27. The following 10 users say "Thanks" to candyflip

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Value is always what others will pay for something, not what you've already paid for it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You see this all the time on American Pickers. Most of the collectors have so much stuff they have no idea what they have.
    But when they see it it's big money and up goes the price.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I just noticed something unusual...many of the games listed on the site before they closed it down (use archive.org to see it) weren't listed in the inventory list, but they state in their ad that they have 300+ machines total (slots and pachinko). If you check the site itself, it currently states that for christmas they had approx 200 slots and 500 pachinko machines. Now, I don't know how good the pachinko business is, or if that's an inflated number...and a strange number to inflate at that...but somehow the math doesn't seem to be adding up. First thoughts go to them pulling out any new ones from this and only considering older ones for sale, being the ones that didn't sell before. I was a bit surprised when I asked for a number of more recent ones listed and was told they had none of them in stock, even if they showed as being in stock on the site for quite some time.
    Last edited by wandererwillow; 01-24-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

As I have said many times while I bought machines from S-P Curt did tell a few whoopers in his day! Actually Robert is member of this forum
    and use to post on occasion. Whoever deals with them had better have 3 pairs of eyes looking. While I was treated okay, the sudden death of Curt
    has left the family making some decisions I hope are in its best interest. We have our positions and they have theirs. They are VERY, VERY different.
    I wish them well. For all the hassles I had I still liked dealing with them as whole. Its a shame its going to go down a road I do not think I is a good one,
    but who am I to say...
    I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast