Thread: My Machine's got some Bugs...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Cool My Machine's got some Bugs...

Literally.

I acquired this machine from a fellow member. (I'm sure he'll recognize it) Anyway, great machine but it apparently had an infestation of some sort. I'm not sure if these are droppings or mud, but they are all over the place. And, piles of dead bugs in all the hidden places. I found hundreds of them inside the power supply, in the plastic case containing the computer, and worst of all, in the door. They've left their marks everywhere. It was not really too noticeable initially, but certain LEDs and windows that would light up were speckled with the stuff. So I have nearly entirely disassembled my first pachislo.

After digging into this machine, I realized this would be a prime candidate for a custom. I've managed to remove the reel glass (which I have never figured out on some other machines I've dug into). And the theme is such that it can be readily converted. The reel symbols are generic (ie. not Charlies Angels, Terminator, etc.) Maybe I should contact Devo? I haven't seen him around for a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Hardy har har...

2. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Meathead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: My Machine's got some Bugs...

I can do you some graphics... I'd love to throw down on a custom. Just depends cause I can provide the files with measurements and all but you'd have to find out where to get em printed. Our fellow member whom which I did a belly graphic for already knew someone but I'm sure with a little diggin' you could find the right place.

Let me know!

4. The following user says "Thanks" to WondersPachi

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I used to restore a lot of antique electronics from early 1900's through the 70's and that looks exactly like a (former) very serious cockroach infestation. I bet it smells bad too, and when things heat up (transformer, heat sinks, resistors etc) it will smell worse.

The odor is rather unique and when I buy used electronics I always give a sniff for the smell.

If it is cockroach... and I'm pretty sure it is by your photos I'd clean every bit of it out if you are able to. The smell will attract other cockroaches to reestablish the nest.

I've thrown out some otherwise good equipment because of it. I personally wouldn't have something previously infested in my home.
    Last edited by SteveFury; 12-05-2011 at 11:28 PM.

6. The following user says "Thanks" to SteveFury

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I think I'm lucky. No smell. And the cleaning is going well, too. The hardest part seems to be the wood and even that is not too bad, but everything else seems to be pretty easy.

I may take this on as a custom. I never did like the majority of customs out there, but considering how easy it would be to swap virtually everything out on this one, it might be a fun project. Before I reassemble it, i will photograph and take measurements for the reel glass.

I really need to consider a theme. I thought SouthPark might be fun. Maybe some of you have suggestions?
    A Hardy har har...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Regarding the wood, if it were mine I'd remove everything from it, clean it up as much as possible and cover the rest with a fresh coat of spray paint.

9. The following user says "Thanks" to SteveFury