Thread: my son posted this on facebook

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Smile my son posted this on facebook

he's 30 yeara old

Paul Hinz
    Was BORN in the 80's. We are the last generation who learned to play in the street, we are the 1st who played from the Atari, to super Nintendo , the last to record songs off the radio on cassettes,the pioneers of Walkman's and chat rooms. We Learned how to program the VCR before anyone else, We are the generation of the Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, GI Joes, ThunderCats, Gumby, Saved by the Bell, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Traveled in cars without seat belts or air-bags -lived without cell phones. -We did not have flat screens, surround sound, iPods, Facebook, Twitter, computers & the Internet... but nevertheless we had a GREAT freaking time!!!
    (re-post if you're an 80's baby
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

2. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: my son posted this on facebook

I grew up in the early 70's and it miles better than growing up in todays world!

4. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

6. The following user says "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Well not to make me the Old Fart here but the late 60's early 70's were great growing up, no need for auto insurance, the only real drug you had to worry about was marijiuana, and graduating wasnt an option... Growing up today is tough but parental discipline has all but been taken away.., no spankings in school, ya cant beat your kids now a days cuz someone will assume the wrong thing and then lookout, drivins are all but gone.. please take me back.. just bring the modern pachinko with me.. I'LL BE RICH...LOL..The only bad thing was NO INTERNET, NO PACHITALK, ... BUT ALL IS GOOD..
    Last edited by techdiver; 12-06-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: ADDITION

8. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to techdiver

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I grew up playing Wireball, Wallball, and 1/2 ball... I also had some of THE most politically incorrect toys to mankind I had the Remco Version of the Jonny 7 One man Army...
    Those were good times... When I showed my daughter the Jonny 7 she called my parents up and YELLED at them saying how could they, Bad Mom Mom and Poppi...
    I'll repost the commericial to save time looking... It REALLY shows you have times have changed, you imagine that being made NOW?

I may not be the best guy, BUT I am not the bad guy!- Coop from Megas XLR

10. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to KimbaWLion

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I'm sorry, I just don't get why your daughter would have a problem with something like that?
    My parents hated toy guns but I still had them and some of them shot small rubber balls or plastic disks.
    It was fun stuff.
    Today, I just don't know...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

not many kids get a red ryder bb gun for christmas anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppOXpyhM2wA
    Last edited by luckydog; 12-10-2011 at 03:15 PM.

13. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with you tech diver. Lots of probs these days and political correctness is killing us. People just whine now about every little thing and don't take responsibility for their actions. I often wonder how the WW2 generation would view Americans today.
    that YouTube vid was freaking awesome. I want one now!
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

here is for the ones born in the 6's and 70's. still looking for the 50's
    Anyone who was BORN in the 60's-70's... We are the last generation who learned to play in the street. We are the 1st who played video games and the last to record songs off the radio on a cassette tape. We Learned how to program the VCR before anyone else, play from the Atari, to super Nintendo. We are the generation of Tom and Jerry & Captain Kangaroo. We traveled in cars without seat belts or air-bags and lived without cell phones. We did not have flat screens, surround sound, iPods, Facebook, Twitter, computers & the Internet... But nevertheless we had a GREAT time... ♥

17. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to beachcat

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I couldn't agree more. In the summer my mom would fix us breakfast and send us out of the house to play until lunch time. Then back out until dark or dinner. We played outdoors and used our imaginations. I doubt there is anything scientific to back it up but I believe that is why even today I rarely get sick due to having built up a stronger immune system. I have noticed today kids do not seem to be nearly as healthy. We drank water from a garden hose, not the bottled purified stuff everyone seems to need today. We rarely watched tv as there were only 3 channels available and most of the programming really didn't interest us.

Sorry...started going on a bit of a rant
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

19. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to Card Shark

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Igrew up in the 50's . When we played army we used reel army training rifles that had the breeches plugged ,and reel army helmets.The neighbor took us for rides in his sherman tank. He owned an arny surplus store. In the winter he would pull us around the streets with a rope tied to aircraft innertubes behind his armored half track. Those were the best winters.And nobody ever got hurt,nobody would tell if they did,it would ruin the fun.Our dads even rode with us.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

21. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

in the 40's we would lay on the living room floor and do our homework, read the funnies in the paper and, listen to the radio "no tv then"

playing outside we could play anywhere around the block, but, never allowed to cross the street, we always had to be in by dark or when called

our furnace was coal fired with radiators and wood burning hot water heater, bath time was every saturday and we usually had to share warm bath water someone else has washed in

my mother made all our clothes and i got a lot of hand me downs from older brother, i had holey socks that got darmed when mom had time and when i got a hole in my shoe i would have to cut cardboard to fix it.

my dad would take the chicago street car to work to save gas and wear and tear on our one old car.

we ate a lot of hambuger with breading and eggs added to stretch it. and a lot of polish food like ox tails, duck blood soup, fried eggs and brains, toungue, my dad was the only one who got a steak once in a great while

my mom baked all our goodies including fresh bread

we would have to take turns taking out garbage, setting and clearing the table, washing and drying the dishes and help fold the laundry

whatever the weather i would have to walk my 2 years younger sister back and forth 4 blocks to school and every sunday we would all get dressed for church.

having 6 brothers and sisters, i slept on the couch in the living room till i was 11, my 5 year older brother slept on a rollaway cot there too

he moved into a room in our basement and i got the rollaway and in the warmer summer slept in back inclosed porch

living was harder, but, we always had food clothes and a place to sleep ad my dad had steady job

we used to get spanking when we were bad, but derseved it their was a lot of togetherness and love in our family

23. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I really wish parents disciplined their children these days. I had a couple come into our showroom. Their kids were running around like crazy, jumping on cars, kicking cars. One of them even took the cigarette lighter in a car, heated it up and then melted it into the navigation screen. When they finally left, the mother makes a comment that at least her kids were relatively good today. Relative to what??? If I so much as raised my voice in public, my dad would have straightened me out real quick. I grew up in a small town and when I got into trouble, the police would just take me home to my dad, they knew I would never repeat the offense once my dad got a hold of me. We learned real quick how to behave in public and to respect our elders.
    "Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    Pachiholic and Proud!!! サメ

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cebu View Post
    I'm sorry, I just don't get why your daughter would have a problem with something like that?
    My parents hated toy guns but I still had them and some of them shot small rubber balls or plastic disks.
    It was fun stuff.
    Today, I just don't know...
    we loved thouse gus that shot the disks... some of the best toys ever made

and a quick search finds

http://www.samstoybox.com/toys/TracerGun.html

but i dont rember them bing startrek??? either way what a blast from the past...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Line-Tra...item19cb945954
    Last edited by Moparformances; 12-10-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Moparformances

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Howdy Folks ,

I was born in 1957 Milwaukee, Wisconsin and my folks were old world Europe discipline . My dad stopped reading the Sunday Newspaper Funnies to me when I was 4 years old and pointed to the loooooooong line of hard covered Encylopedia's that we had and said "Learn to Read."and the written word has Always intrigued me . I am # 5 out of seven kids (2 older brothers and 2 older sisters ) and we all had chores to do and even in the 60's in our house No Allowance . You wanted money you earned it collecting bottles for deposit or raking leaves or shoveling snow . or have a good enough reason for dad to give you the money . If we ever did something bad or dishonored the family name my dad would use his leather work belt and whip us just enough to make it a lesson learned .

One of my Favorite christmas gifts was the 1970 Hot Wheels Rod Runner Ontario, Ca Motor Speedway set which I had to share with the rest of my family (2 younger brothers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMkO-...eature=related
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

28. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

30. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

32. The following user says "Thanks" to takethecastle57

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Wow what a great thread!

Takes me back, some stuff before my time but not too much. I was on a TV show with Rex Trailer. Boom something, my aunt was in PR in Boston at the time, she got me on the show, so I along with a hundred other kids go to be in the audience. I also go to be on Major Mudd.

Fun times!

I read so much of what everyone has written and it's like ok, yeah it was that way for me too.
    If I talked back to my mother, she'd slap me across the mouth. Nowadays that's a class b felony!
    My dad like some posters above got out his leather belt and that was painful!

@moparperformances
    Those old guns were not star trek that's all new marketing. They were cheap and you could run around and shoot your friends and relatives with them.

The second pic Tracer Gun looks a lot more like what I had. Later on they had disks that would glow in the dark. Those cost like $2 new when I was a kid.
    Nowadays I don't get it. Am I so old that the good old days are better than what is to come? Or is what was so much better than what is to come?
    But I do like to watch shows like American Pickers and American Restoration.

I really miss the days before political correctness came along.

34. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Steve Cebu

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Very good thread indeed. We all grew up with guns and were shooting and hunting way, way before we were old enough to drive. This was southern Louisiana and as the license plates used to say "Sportsman's Paradise". Enough ducks and geese to blacken the skies. Anyway, guns were no big deal, we all respected them and they were just part of life. We used to have shotguns in the back of our vehicles in high school so we could hunt dove in the rice fields south of town. Imagine trying to do that today.
    Fistfights instead of gun battle were how things were settled. it's normal to look back with rose colored glasses but I do believe people today are different. People seem to have a sense of entitlement and expect things to be given to them with no work or sacrifice.
    I remember those disc shooting guns well. I bet there's still some in the yard where I grew up. I miss the thrill of walking into an arcade as a kid in the early 80's with a fistful of quarters. Couldn't wait to see what games were new. Those were some great times. I'm going to have to look into getting a couple of games one of these days.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

36. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I haven't bothered to grow up yet.
    That's why i am a proud member of PachiTalk.

38. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to derek1960