Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comicgo is on her way back!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Comicgo is on her way back!

I couldn't let her sit any longer!Comicgo 004.jpg Sooo...I started with something easy, like polishing her tray.Comicgo 006.jpgand afterComicgo cleanup 028.jpg I decided to not use a buffing wheel due to surface imperfections that I did not want to buff out. here are some closeupsComicgo cleanup 002.jpgOops! should have flipped that one.Comicgo cleanup 006.jpgComicgo cleanup 007.jpgI'm guessing that it may have been hand poured into the moldComicgo cleanup 005.jpg Not sure if the detail show...But will never be seen anyhow once mounted.Not sure if I will try to paint the relief black,or not.Comicgo cleanup 009.jpg Too bad about the crack in front. It was noticeable before, but NOW! I'm gonna set it on a sandbag and tap gently with a round face brass hammer to correct the contour. this may close the crack a little and make it less noticeable. The metal plate that is sits over was lavender, but the spots where the diamonds were have faded.Comicgo cleanup 010.jpg I'm gonna see if the backside is lavender as well,then I'll flip it. If not, I'll shift it aside 1/2 diamond to put fade behind plate and lavender behind diamond. But for now I have issues on back to deal with!

2. The following 11 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Comicgo is on her way back!

What did you use to polish that tray it looks great?

4. The following user says "Thanks" to Bouye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The jackpot seesaw never set right.Comicgo 010.jpg It sits about half cocked. So I carefully removed the nails because I want to reuse them. pulled off the cover, and tried to remove the seesaw. NOT gonna come off so easy.Comicgo cleanup 049.jpgA small tab extends from the front and extends beyond the plastic, and the other side is behind the ball dump chute. I am trying not to mess with the plastic because it is so brittle, and I would rather not remove the ball dump chute, if I can help it. So I pulled the nail through the middle of the seesaw. No pics with seesaw off...I am so ashamed! While it was off I noticed the rear capture nail wasonly passed through the top and not the bottom. There was only 1 ball inside. They always have 2, so I added 1 and punched the capture nail through the bottom also. When I remounted I had both balls on the same side of the nail. Of course this did not work,and I had to take it off and remount it with a ball on each side of the nail. Now the seesaw works flawlessly!

6. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Bouye View Post
    What did you use to polish that tray it looks great?
    Blue magic metal polish creme.004.jpg

8. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    Blue magic metal polish creme.
    if your not using a wheel are ya doing it by hand???
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Moparformances View Post
    if your not using a wheel are ya doing it by hand???
    Yes. After SOS pads to get all the oxidation off. You could literally rub the tray and dust would fly off, not dirt but oxidized aluminum powder. It lived somewhere bad for a long time, not only was the tray badly oxidized, but the flipper is seriously rusted!Comicgo 005.jpg I'm not sure what to do here. The pitting is severe! It feel like the surface of the moon. I'm probably gonna put navel jelly (acid) on it to remove the rust and see what kind of surface is left. If I file it smooth it will thin it out and possibly change the contour. I could fill the pits with JB WELD and sand it smooth, but it will look funny. or I could leave it rusty and call it patina... next to a polished tray. Maybe I could buy a flipper from a parts machine, disassemble it and reuse the escutcheon from Comicgo with a newer chrome handle. The finger rest is toast also.
    As far as the tray is concerned, The drop bottom ash tray has some sharp edges and the edges of the whole back plate are irregular from the way it was cast. The sharp edges (not sharp enough to be a hazard) have been there since the '50s, and I'm not gonna round them off now. I also didn't want the aggressiveness of a wheel to take away the irregular edges...gives it charm. I have also decided to clean, but not polish the brass on the back. When I did my other Ginza, A friend told me "old metal should look old" but that machine had issues anyhow (I might steal the flipper from it) so I didn't mind polishing it. But I did get black polish stains on the wood back in places where I didn't want to (or couldn't) remove from the back. I Don't want to repeat those mistakes here.001.jpg The back has some challenging issues to deal with. The upper ball tray is missing parts. I will probably steal them from my polished Ginza because It will look original on Comicgo. I don't care about when I make tin parts to repair the tray, if looks cheezy on polished Ginza. I want comicgo to look shiney and new on the front, and clean of crud, but true patina on the back.005.jpg When I get good at soldering with a torch and acid core solder, I'm gonna try to fix this. And there is a trap door that empties the balls from the jackpot out the back instead of the front.004.jpg When folded flat, the latch below rotates and locks it closed.
    Although I fixed the jackpot seesaw problem I still have an issue with too much friction (or bent linkage) that keeps the jackpot replenishing tray from dumping without help. I've wasted enough time typing... It's time to play! OOPS the attached thumbnail is my other Ginza, put it up by mistake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It lived somewhere bad for a long time, not only was the tray badly oxidized, but the flipper is seriously rusted! I'm not sure what to do here. The pitting is severe! It feel like the surface of the moon. I'm probably gonna put navel jelly (acid) on it to remove the rust and see what kind of surface is left. If I file it smooth it will thin it out and possibly change the contour. I could fill the pits with JB WELD and sand it smooth, but it will look funny. or I could leave it rusty and call it patina... next to a polished tray. Maybe I could buy a flipper from a parts machine, disassemble it and reuse the escutcheon from Comicgo with a newer chrome handle. The finger rest is toast also.
    well what ever you do with those 2 let me know how it turns out because I have sevral machines with rusty flippers.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Late for work...but first, more pics!

14. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I too have had thoughts about wether I should polish or paint the parts on the back. I chose to polish and paint. The reason I painted the metal is because that cheap metal rusts so easy it makes the balls dirty, which makes the cell dirty. As far as polishing the brass and copper, first of all I think it looks great, second when on display or being used you will never see the back. I mean most people like the machines because of how they look from the front. Third I don't think it hurts value at all and finally after a little time I know the parts will lose that shine. I have polished lots of nails and you can tell the diff between nails I cleaned last year and last month. Just my opinion.

16. The following user says "Thanks" to Bouye

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Bought a can of oxygen for my long unused Craftsman torch (sears, by the way don't carry O2 for the torch that bears their name!)001.jpg This concentrates the heat to a smaller area giving me greater success at soldering failed joints such as this one.005.jpg Now looks like this.Comicgo reassembly 012.jpg Here is the interior.Comicgo reassembly 011.jpg Comicgo reassembly 010.jpg Going to Resolder the ball tray from my "Silver Springs Ginza" 304.jpg303.jpgIt will replace this.Comicgo 012.jpg Moving slowly, but coming along nicely.

18. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I am using brass coated steel nails because I broke a good quantity of original nails, as shown in the "attached thumbnails" above. You know... the pic that I deleted, but didn't really go away, which prevented me from including a different pic that I tried to include!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Clearly, I have not completed the learning curve!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried to keep the patina...com...metal work 003.jpg but soldering requires clean metal. I took some metal from old duct work, and folded the edge over.com...metal work 001.jpg Some simple bends and cutting...com...metal work 002.jpg I could have used a few clamps!com...metal work 004.jpg Of course I didn't... and am suffering the consequences. com...metal work 005.jpgcom...metal work 006.jpg Seem to applied too much heat and metal warpage has occured. Not gonna try to fix it till tomorrow.com...metal work 007.jpg Test fit it anyhow...com...metal work 008.jpg Some tweaking, and it should be good!

22. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Going to Resolder the ball tray from my "Silver Springs Ginza" It will replace this.
    What you don't like the easy ball dump on that machine? Also refilling is somewhat easier.

Clearly, I have not completed the learning curve!
    We all mess up right? Plus you'll eventually figure it out.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Back together with only minor problems. Ever since I first tested it, the jackpot lever always needed just a little push. I was hoping that taking it apart, cleaning and reassembling it would free up the stiffness. Not so. During function testing, the exact same problem still haunts me! But I discovered it! Either a small pad has broken off of the arm, as all other machines I've looked at has one. No evidence of one ever being here, no solder residue, and looks like the balls have been pushing on that spot for a long time. Or, too much space in this damaged plastic ball channel, that allows the ball to get off center of the rod.JP overflow ball jam 003.jpgJP overflow ball jam 004.jpg This seems to take just enough weight off the rod to prevent a jackpot. I was already planning to fabricate a new one for cosmetic reasons, now I know I need it for functional reasons. I'm gonna try plexiglass...but it has to fit under a metal cover and may be too thick. If so, I think the plastic from a Listerine bottle will work.
    During testing I discovered how the JP overflow works. If the JP seesaw is in the down position, The ball simply falls down the metal tube and into the holding chamber, visible through the window in front.JP overflow ball jam 001.jpg After resetting the seesaw. simply press on the lever to put the ball into the JP channel.Comicgo 011.jpg Would be nice if it could be reset from the front, but it is an old machine and I'm not gonna try to modify it.

25. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I may be able to salvage the flipper after all!cosmetic comicgo 006.jpg I started with navel jelly to dissolve the rust, but the high spots and severe rust made me use a file and sandpaper. More navel jelly and SOS pads. More work is needed, but I think the flipper will be acceptable. I spent the time while soaking the flipper in navel jelly, polishing nail heads,and cleaning the cell.cosmetic comicgo 002.jpg The cell don't look like it faded much, it is only slightly brighter behind the Comicgo nameplate than the rest of the cell.cosmetic comicgo 005.jpg However it don't show up in pictures very well. And finally, another use for plastic epoxy.cosmetic comicgo 001.jpg Seems like you can't fix these things without breaking them just a little bit more!

27. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I forgot to provide the "before" pic of the flipper. "After" Not finished yet, just too tired to keep working on it.

29. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I removed the flipper, thanks to Rival's excellent video, and used the wire wheel on a bench grinder.Flipper 004.jpg Applied more navel jelly, back to the wire wheel, followed by a pick digging in the deep pits... repeat. Finally, rust free!Flipper 007.jpgFlipper 005.jpg The finger post is really bad, but also rust free.Flipper 008.jpg It don't show well in the pic, but I hit the mounting flange with the wheel at the 3o'clock position. It removed the chrome doun to the copper. If the flipper wasn't so hit, this would have bothered me. I have decided not to steal the flipper from polished Ginza for this machine, this one turned out better than I expected, even if severely pitted. I glued the inlet plate back together.Flipper 002.jpg The pic that shoes the actual repaired area was too blurry, so I deleted it. All the nails were rusty and broke off in the plastic.Flipper 003.jpgI'm soaking in navel jelly to dissolve the rust to hopefully get them out. Since the nails are still in the wood, I think I'll drill new pilot holes in the plastic for new brass nails, unless the hole in the wood is big enough to slide the plate up or down a hair. Still more work to do but getting close.

31. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

you planning on retr-o-brighting that cover you repaired after you soak it in the jelly? Because it looks like it has some heavy yellowing on it and it could use it just to make it a little brighter. (best part on that stuff is it won't eat at most stickers and won't hurt the paint at all)

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I've heard of RetroBright, but I don't know anything else about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast