Thread: Vintage Model "B" Machine by Sankyo, please help me identify

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Vintage Model "B" Machine by Sankyo, please help me identify

My Grandfather purchased this in the 1970s at a local department store in NJ called "Two Guys". I have the receipt of what he paid somewhere, and I have the original box it came in. I played this machine as a kid, and today I took it out for my 5 year old son to play with for the first time.

Any ideas on age, value? Everything works 100%. There are some contact and reed switches that are not hooked up, so some sort of electrification was done at one point in its life.

I have no idea if the theme is "doves", horses, or what... Any info would be great. I can't find a manufacturer date, but i'm guessing late 60's early 70s due to the design and my extremely limited research. Thanks!

I can take better photos tomorrow, these are quick shots from the cell phone.
    Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wdwms; 08-28-2011 at 10:31 PM.

2. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to Wdwms

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Vinatage Model "B" Machine by Sankyo, please help me identify

Welcome to PachiTalk!! You have come to the right place to get the information and answers you are seeking! We are a very friendly and helpful bunch, and are knowledgeable in all things Pachinko.

You have a Model B machine that has the "Derby" theme, presumably in honor of a horse derby or the Kentucky Derby. Your machine is in EXCELLENT condition overall, and repairing the lights is actually a fairly simple process. Billy Connelly at www.VintagePachinko.com sells light kits with instructions for these machines, or you can post your questions here and the members will walk you through the process. All the parts you will need can be found at your local Radio Shack store for about $5. I personally hook mine up to a standard 9 volt battery and they work great for a long time!

Here is a thread with a similar machine to yours:

http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...jin-derby.html

I'm sure if you search this site using the key word "Derby" you will find many more posts regarding the same machine.

Again, welcome to our forum! Please come back frequently to visit, and post often!

Jeff
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 08-28-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

Looks like Jacksje4 got ya covered..

as for value it hard... we have talked long and hard and location and condition are the 2 main factors.. large costal towns drive the value down and small nowhere towns have better value

i would say your is worth somewhere around 100 bucks.. depening on location.. there sentimental value usualy out weighs actual value every time..

as for a date.. you posted a pic of the expiration sticker but its not clearenought for a read... second to last pic with the red yellow blue sticker has a date.. get us a great pic of it and we can tell ya the date..

Lights are easy make your own.. you will feel way better about it
    Last edited by Moparformances; 08-28-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll post more photos today. As for the sticker, the only numbers are on the top most sticker. Everything else is Japanese characters, the #s i see are 239 4...separated by a character.. ideas?

Thanks
    Thanks Received

There should be a number between 45 and 55 embedded somewhere in the text of the stickers. It might be in the really fine print on the stickers in the lower right corner. That number will give us the year of expiration, which will allow us to calculate the year the machine was placed into service. My guess is your machine was built sometime between 1974 and 1976
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

7. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ahh ok there it is.. they are small! 49 and 12 are the #s i see...

So the 49 means it is 1974...what do you know, same age as me.

Now what is the 12?
    Last edited by Wdwms; 08-29-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Machine was licensed/placed into service in December 1973. (It expired and was removed from service in 1974)

12 represents the month.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

10. The following user says "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSJE4 View Post
    12 represents the month.
    I'm not completely sure that represents the month. Because I helped a guy on ebay recently and he said the #'s he saw was 52 and 18 (not sure about 52 but I know he said 18) And I know there aren't 18 months in a year so why would it go up that high. I mean if it was for next year on the 4th month why not just put next years date and 04.

Also Welcome Wdwms. It looks like you are pretty much covered.
    Also you have a great looking sankyo there. I have one made in the same year but it has a chip out of the aluminum tray

You said you had the box it came in right? Can you post some pictures of it please. The box is one of the hardest things to find and usually helps the price when you go to sell it. But if you sell it DON'T ship it in that box put another box over it or something. Because with ups and other companies they will trash that box making it absolutly worthless.

If you have any more question just ask there is always a 99.9% chance that we will be able to help you out.

100 machines and counting...

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    I'm not completely sure that represents the month. Because I helped a guy on ebay recently and he said the #'s he saw was 52 and 18 (not sure about 52 but I know he said 18) And I know there aren't 18 months in a year so why would it go up that high. I mean if it was for next year on the 4th month why not just put next years date and 04.
    I think it is safe to say that we are also not completely sure on the dating logic in general. The best information that we have at this time tells us that machines were placed into service for 12-18 months at a time, but we still do not know for certain. Perhaps the 12 or 18 signifies the number of months the machine can be in service?

Anyhow, here is a great post from Bill Connelly regarding his thoughts on how machines are dated: http://www.pachitalk.com/forums/vint...tml#post315550
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

13. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to JACKSJE4

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi all!

Thanks for the great help so far. First a few pictures now that I have better light and I can use the bigger/better camera.. My thoughts on what I'd like to do with this. First, in no way would I ever sell it. Too much sentimental value, so updating and fixing to make those memories come back from my childhood are more important. I'm very handy w/electronics and electrics so this is a no brainer, just need some diagrams. Maybe i'll go LED. Wouldn't mind replacing the veneer and maybe having everything re-chromed. Overall its in very good shape, but the veneer is a "tad" dated. Is the veneer easy to do?

Here is the set of three stickers in the front.. I assume these are "gaming commission" stickers? for lack of better terms. So limited knowledge these machines were used in Japan in the parlors for some period of time, once expired they were yanked and shipped over to the USA for consumer consumption?
    IMG_9621.jpg

Two photos of the front. I cleaned it years ago, ready for another cleaning and some minor work/cleaning/polishing. The rubber parts are all in good order. There is no glass, it is plastic with a spot in the door where glass would go? Not sure what these had originally...
    IMG_9622.jpgIMG_9623.jpg

The rear of the machine. As I stated earlier, everything works. two photos show the existing switches, I do remember my grandfather having it rigged up to christmas lights in the 1980s, you'd win and those lights would come on.. heheh... the right most photo shows that i'm missing a panel over that part. Never had it. My grandfather had rigged a blue box w/a rubber band to catch the balls.. works great.

IMG_9624.jpgIMG_9625.jpgIMG_9626.jpg

The only box I've ever known with this machine. I assume it came with foam blocks or something, but nothing inside now. I think I have the instructions and receipt around somewhere, i though i had them in the binder w/my Lionel train instructions, but no go. I'll look a bit more.
    IMG_9628.jpg

15. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Wdwms

Thanks
    Thanks Received

odd.. i posted a big post and the system says its in moderation.. well regardless, if it doesn't get approved in the next few hours i'll repost all my photos..

-t

Thanks
    Thanks Received

the moderated post is a safety precaution here on PachiTalk.
    it protects the forum from spam posts. Nothing personal it is a feature that is implemented for all new users

if a post has some key words in it it will be flagged by the system

cheers
    Sid

"I've stopped fighting my inner demons, we are on the same side now."

18. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Sid

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Your first few posts must be approved by a mod. This is to help prevent spammers from clogging up our forums. After that, your posts will appear immediately.
    Last edited by JACKSJE4; 08-29-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Jeff Jackson, Denver CO

Thanks
    Thanks Received

ok my post was approved, see above for the photos and other info.. plus the photo of the box someone asked for.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by Wdwms View Post
    Hi all!

Thanks for the great help so far. First a few pictures now that I have better light and I can use the bigger/better camera.. My thoughts on what I'd like to do with this. First, in no way would I ever sell it. Too much sentimental value, so updating and fixing to make those memories come back from my childhood are more important. I'm very handy w/electronics and electrics so this is a no brainer, just need some diagrams. Maybe i'll go LED. Wouldn't mind replacing the veneer and maybe having everything re-chromed. Overall its in very good shape, but the veneer is a "tad" dated. Is the veneer easy to do?

Two photos of the front. I cleaned it years ago, ready for another cleaning and some minor work/cleaning/polishing. The rubber parts are all in good order. There is no glass, it is plastic with a spot in the door where glass would go? Not sure what these had originally...

The rear of the machine. As I stated earlier, everything works. two photos show the existing switches, I do remember my grandfather having it rigged up to christmas lights in the 1980s, you'd win and those lights would come on.. heheh... the right most photo shows that i'm missing a panel over that part. Never had it.

first off thanks for the pictures.

now onto your questions.

• Going with LEDs is fairly simple. I have already done it to 2 machines. (I have some pictures of them below)

• Replacing the veneer is also fairly simple it is just sorta time consuming. (once again I have done it to 2 machines and pictures below)

• I wouldn't say that your frame needs rechroming. it looks to be in good shape plus to rechrome the whole frame it costs about $250. I had it done to a machine and decided that I don't want to go down that road again. So i decided that if the frame was bad I'll just paint it. (havn't done it yet)

• The machines origanlly had 2 sheets of glass. But I put a sheet of plexi against the playfield and then a sheet of glass on the outside. other members put glass in both slots because they like the sound but in my opinion it is just a danger because you have stell balls hitting glass which may cause it to break.

• Like I said I have a machine from the same year. And it is also missing that clear panel. and the other one at the opossite corner. I haven't messed with the machine yet but my idea is to take some thing plexi (about 1/16") and cut out the shape and then drill the hole for the screw. It is the best idea i have had to fix the problem. (you don't need the covers for play they are just to keep fingers out of the mechanics)

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Pictures:
    The first 4 are of my nishijin derby machine.
    #1 is what it looked like when I bought it.
    #2 is finished after rechrome, reveneer, and cleaning
    #3 is the back we installed the LEDs in it but left some bulbs.
    #4 is of the front with the lights on.
    #5 is on my nishijin bowling, that picture is before the refinishing.
    #6 is after the refinishing, however this is still how the machine sits (been 3 months since the refinish). But now I have all the parts to it, but it will still be held off.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

redoing the original lights are easy..

just keep them in a loop.. power source to the light bulb.. then to the switch.. then back to the power source..

either use a 9 volt battery or a wall wart for power
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Interesting, I'm working on a Nishijin Derby (Center is almost identical, like mxfaiman), and I have a Sankyo that is a butterfly theme, but is fairly similar to your machine. I also have it wired for lights. Always willing to help if you have any questions. Pics below:
    Derby Front.jpgBoard w nails.JPGButterfly Pachi Front.jpgButterfly Pachi Back.jpg

24. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to ACMech

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry I guess I'll include some pictures of my sankyo (I have 2 but one is from a different year)

The first one I call the theme pottery. This is the one that has the chip out of the top tray

The second one looks like it would be for parts but surprisingly I actually have most the parts to it.

If you need any pictures or anything just I ask I might be able to help you out. (or one of our other members might be able to also )

I also need a rear ball tray for the first one if anyone has one?

26. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Quote Originally Posted by mxfaiman View Post
    I also need a rear ball tray for the first one if anyone has one?
    i have a ball tray if ya really need one... it has some damage but its 95% there just a little filler and glue..

shot me a pm if ya wana make a deal...