Thread: Powerflash question

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Powerflash question

Hi!

I am finally starting on the junked-out bizarro powerflash I picked up a few months ago. Some of you might recall it, it had a standard 1974 background instead of the blue or green background like all the rest (49S-01). It also has a white "super deluxe" plastic bar above the front loading tray instead of the typical 1974 orange one. I have decided to restore it with the original blue solid background. My question for current powerflash owners: Is the entire playfield blue, including beneath the loading tray door? And is there a playfield designator (49S- some number) in the lower left of the playfield? And if there are playfield designators, do the blue and the green have different numbers? Just want to make sure i do it right, and I don't have another standard powerflash to compare.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Powerflash question

i almost posative that its all blue...

i know emmadog has taken a few apart and restored them with new cells..

good luck on your restoration
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I agree with Mopar about it being all blue. I sold all mine awhile back but I don't remember there being any numbers as you mention. I think those may pertain only to play fields with a design/theme. Also, I don't think the blue and green were originally different colors. I remember removing the playfield features from the greenish background and the normally covered area matched the blue. Maybe they used different inks or materials on the two versions and one faded differently.
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

4. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

just wanted to say

I think it's a shame to change the play field on your machine... I wish i would have had the funds to buy it.. it appers to be one of a kind machine...

but i do understand y ya might wana change it..
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I really do think that your machine is special in a way that it didn't get the blue background and that is has the white badge. I mean with a standard background it makes it look better where as the blue background makes it look kinda plain and boring. Though that is just my opinion.

100 machines and counting...

7. The following user says "Thanks" to mxfaiman

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You know what, you guys have convinced me. There is an inherent conundrum. In order to restore it, I have to replace the playfield, because the one on it now is in horrible shape. If I put back the 49S-01 playfield, it is no longer original, and so technically I could have just slapped any old playfield graphic on it. It kinda makes the bizarro nature of the wrong playfield a little... i don't know, a little less authentic. No one would question the blue background (maybe they WERE all blue, worth looking into!) But honestly, I have plenty of original pics to keep with the machine, so I could certainly make a reasonable case for providence. This machine is a wreck that no one with a lick of common sense would ever consider restoring. The chrome is rusted, peeling, and deeply pitted, the solenoids are frozen, the wood frame and playfield are dry-rotted and separating, it does not even have a doorframe. Every crack and crevice is filled with oily sludge and slime. It should by all rights be a parts machine. But you know what, I think I am going to go for it, reproduce the 49S-01, stick that on, and make an instructional video of the whole process. They really don't get much worse than this, so its a perfect subject. We messed around with a few practice videos last night, and they came out all right, but we need to work on our lighting a little to make it prettier. I'll share some vids when I get some worth sharing.

9. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Rival

Thanks
    Thanks Received

[QUOTE=Rival;414031] I think I am going to go for it, reproduce the 49S-01, stick that on, and make an instructional video of the whole process. QUOTE]

Thats the best news i have read all week.

Chicken Fried Steak takethecastle57's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

You are "Braver" than most of us here bringing back this "Phoenix" of a Rare and Unique PowerFlash and a Video Documentary to the restoration I would like to get a DVD of that myself !!
    When things don't go right the 1st time , Step back ,Take a break and come back renewed. RGS

Thanks
    Thanks Received

its academic now but i found a pic of my t-bird before i replaced the cel. blue-green all the way down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EM Pinballs & Arrangeballs

13. The following user says "Thanks" to emmadog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

If it is as bad as you say... any background you make will be good and you can make it as unique as you like. Like a vintage car... if it is all original and in good shape and you modify it extensively; most people think you ruined it. But, if it is on deaths door or beyond, and you modify it extensively; most people think you did something wonderful. I see no difference here. I say restore it anyway you like, and proudly post pics for all of us to see!

15. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall