Thread: Continental XXXX Big Chance & 15

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Continental XXXX Big Chance & 15

I think that is the name of this machine. Anyway, picked it up for $30 today. Powers on and displays the insert medals light. Will accept tokens, but when the lever is pulled the reels start to spin, abruptly stop, start to spin, stop, spin, stop ... endlessly. Also, the stop buttons on the front aren't lighting up and have no effect on the reels. The previous owner said something about it needing to be reset. I followed the reset procedure inside the machine but it had no effect on this operation. I have attached pics of the outside and inside to aid in identification. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, don't have a lot invested, but really looks like a cool machine.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following user says "Thanks" to lopan2008

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Continental XXXX Big Chance & 15

remove and reconnect all the connections you can find, thats the best way to start fixing problems
    幸運わんわん Luckydog or Yukiwanwan in Japanese

4. The following user says "Thanks" to luckydog

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Disconnection/Reconnection didn't fix the issue. Will get back to diagnosis tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

check for corrosion and bent-missing pins in all the connectors as well, make extra sure everything is seated firmly and give it a good cleaning inside as well if it is dusty and dirty. it locks out the stop buttons until the reels are all at speed so if it can't tell if they are spinning or if they are not all getting up to speed then you will have issues.

new in town or another member will be along and should be able to help you troubleshoot more but starting with this should get you on the right track
    the

LLTR

7. The following user says "Thanks" to owennewton

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Got up this morning, grabbed my tools, and took all of the inner workings apart and re-checked all the connections. Didn't take the whole reel assembly apart, but did check those connectors as well. Was unable to find any corrosion or bent pins. Have noticed that the coin hopper won't eject coins (machine gun style) when the button is pressed. Also I noticed where there seems to have been a modification to the hopper as it doesn't lock into place due to the connector sticking out too far (see pics of the connector) Could this be influencing the issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The connections in you pics look fine, probably just misaligned. I don't see any indication someone was modifying them in any way.
    You can loosen the screws on the hopper connections a bit and leave them that way so the connectors can move into place.
    Also look closely to make sure all the connectors are extended enough to contact. Sometimes one or more get depressed or bent back and away.
    But they look good to me. Use a little 3-in-1 oil to lube them.
    As for your reels stopping and starting I would first examine the spin knob assembly to see if there is something loose in it.
    Also what owen told you is correct. the reels need to reach a proper speed or you can have that issue.
    try rotating each reel by hand to see if they move freely and are in good horizontal and vertical alignment.
    is anything touching anywhere? Just loosen the reel mounting and adjust it so they move freely.
    It doesn't take much drag to slow them down. Any wires in the back laying on them?? That can do it.
    It is almost certain that the problem is what Owen said. But give the spin knob a good exam.

10. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SlotsRfun

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It acts like the reels aren't getting consistent power, once the spin knob is pressed.There almost has to be a loose connection, or a pinched wire,or a bad ground.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Took the reel assembly apart and checked the spin on each reel individually by spinning by hand and then re-assembled the apparatus and re-checked the spin. All three make a little "woom" sound when spun, but turn freely (I figure that's the motor making the sound). Also took the spin lever apart and checked the wiring, and see no damage or corrosion. What I am noticing now is that the reels are still doing the start/stop routine, but every now and again one of them (either middile or left) will spin slower than the others. I am sure this is a small thing based on the responses (which I appreciate) I just have to find it.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Hi
    Sometimes a reel will lag or spin a bit slowly for a second or two because it is slightly out of sync but it should re-sync and get up to speed.
    I think it would be good for you to lube the reels. use silicone spray, do not use any oils or greases. They will gum up from dust eventually.
    Acutally it would be good to remove each reel and spray silicone into each reel motor and the shafts. Lube every moving part and try to have it penetrate
    deep inside.
    Oh, on examining your pictures I am suspicious that the reels are squeezed a bit too close together. I would recommend loosening every screw that is on the reel cage
    top bottom sides, all of them and jiggle the entire cage a bit to loosen them up. Then give it a few tries and see if the reels move freely now. If that is the
    cause then slowly line them up and retighten the screws. Take the reels out to be able to loosen all of the screws.
    Also you have lots of dust in that machine. It needs a good cleaning.
    I am almost certain that your trouble is mechanical not electrical. I think the reels are too tight somewhere
    Last edited by SlotsRfun; 05-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.

14. The following 3 users say "Thanks" to SlotsRfun

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Almost sounds like maybe one of the reel home optics is not working. With the power on to the machine, manually rotate the reels, and at some point in the rotation, you should have an LED on the PCB board in the back of the cabinet light up. One LED for each reel. If one reel does not light up, that optic could be your problem and examine that reel and the optic on it. I don't know if this would cause the start/stop problem as I have never seen that problem on that machine, but let us know if that helps.

16. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to carwarr