Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Repair of Top Front Ball Tray

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Repair of Top Front Ball Tray

Hello, I am new here and am happy to have found this trove of information. I obtained a New Gin machine that was made around 1975-1976. The mechanics in the back is all intact and suprisingly clean. It appears to be in working order.
    This is my first machine, I saw this little gem at my local Goodwill and snapped it up. I have fond memories of these machines when I was 9 years old my grandfather had one in his "Home Tavern".
    I need to replace the fron glass (easy enough) and of course clean it up. My one major repair is the top front tray. There is a piece of plastic busted out of it approximately 2.5" x 1.25". I do not have the piece, meaning I am going to have to fabricate this missing plastic.
    I had been searching around the forums and saw a post on a person who repaired his tray but there were not a lot of details on the process.
    Is there anyone familiar with this process or have done it? I have seem things like Plast-Aid and JB-Weld plastic putty. I was thinking of just filling the hole on a piece of cardboard to make the missing part and epoxy/bond it in.
    What techniques would be used for a repair like this? I am finding that it is hard to find someone with a replacement tray for this machine. (If anyone has one, let me know!)

Thanks for all your time. I have found a forum to spend some time at!

2. The following 2 users say "Thanks" to Hightray

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Default Re: Repair of Top Front Ball Tray

I have fixed the tray on a machine of mine. I've got pictures,and can share details.I also bookmarked an Ebay listing of 1 for $20. Don't know if it will fit.I know it can be linked to a post but haven't tried yet. I'm on lunch break from work Bidding on a pachinko machine, so I'll post details later tonight!

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome to Pachitalk

please post a few pics of your broken tray... inside the shooter tray door and the parts ya see as well ... i know a guy that has a few parts machine...

click hear for a how to post a pic thread...
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them
    .....Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has............./
    .........................................Margaret Mead

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Details as to what you have done is greatly appreciated. Attached are some photos -- of the machine as well as the damaged part. If you would like more pictures in particular, please let me know. One of the pictures (The front of the machine) shows the piece of tape that was on it. I never even thought that the plastic would be missing, I figured it was taped in place. Nonetheless, the machine other than that damage is in superb condition!

Best Regards.

IMG_0088.jpgIMG_0089.jpgIMG_0083.jpgIMG_0082.jpg
    Last edited by Hightray; 03-29-2011 at 09:44 PM.

6. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to Hightray

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Here are a couple of more pictures, I thought I may have missed some angles.

IMG_0092.jpgIMG_0093.jpgIMG_0091.jpg

8. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to Hightray

Thanks
    Thanks Received

unusual ball tray... great color... soory to see it broken...

dont think i know of a tray like that
    Never Doubt that a small group of thoughtful, .......... /........ If your not going to stand behind our troops
    ...committed people can change the world. ............. /.................Please, Please stand in front of them

Thanks
    Thanks Received

I tried to post a picture off of Ebay, failed miserably! However the $20 BIN isn't as good looking and probably wont fit right. Your tray can easily be fixed. I'm going to dig mine out and take some pictures and post "shortly". Aside from the structural reinforcement with 12 ga solid copper wire (overkill),which yours wont need: all that you need to do is use duct tape on the outside to form the shape of the outside wall. Mix some epoxy and fill the hole. When the epoxy dries, remove tape. The outside will probably have bubbles,waves, and texture of the duct tape! This is to be expected, simply sand smooth inside and out. Mix more epoxy fill in anything low using a piece of cardboard as a trowel (I used the cardboard that the the epoxy was packaged in). Don't be afraid of building it up too thick, you simply sand off the excess. if you try to make it perfect during application it will simply be too low! I think it shrinks a little. Besides final sanding with 1500 grit sandpaper will produce a very smooth finish, you have to build it up to sand it down. This is just a quickie post to fill you in on the basic procedure, I'll post pics when I dig it out and get some good angles on it. Your tray is easily salvageable and will be as strong as ever. Do any cracks extend beyond the hole that are not visible in the photos? If so try to get them to show in photos by changing the angle of lighting or whatever, and I'll try to come op with some ideas for that also.

11. The following 5 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

To stop a crack in plastic you simply drill a 1/16th hole at the very end of the crack to relieve the stress in the plastic, and it stops the crack from running farther.then drop a little model cement in the hole. If you do that on each crack that will relieve the stress on the rest of the tray.
    IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE

13. The following 6 users say "Thanks" to yose

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you everyone for your input. I look forward to your replies. Here are more pictures:

Spider Crack:
    IMG_0096.jpg

Picture of a screw post that is intact:
    IMG_0098.jpg

Picture of a screw post that was broken off. I still have the screw. Looks simply like a screw that was captured in the plastic. It is secured with a nut on the machine.
    IMG_0097.jpg

Spider Crack:
    IMG_0095.jpg

Spider Crack:
    IMG_0090.jpg

Spider Crack:
    IMG_0094.jpg

15. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Hightray

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Pachiwall,

Thank you so very much for the detail. I have attached some more images. This truly helps a lot. I look forward to more of your expertise.

Thanks
    Thanks Received

OK, I've got some pics.Attachment 39736 The dark spots are the epoxy. Since I had pieces missing from the rail (or outside edge for lack of better term), I was concerned about strength. I used 12ga ROMEX household wire for reinforcement. Works great, but probably unnecessary. It would have looked better with only epoxy. 094.jpgI used VersaChem brand "Plastic Welder" Part #47809 (actually an epoxy because you mix equal amount of 2 chemicals to harden like DAMN!). I was going to use JB WELD because I've used it so many times before. But since this was an epoxy specifically for plastic, I gave it a try. I LIKE IT! It claims to be cream color (when wet), but seems to dry kind of translucent tan. If I were you, I would mix some food coloring to try to get close to the color of your tray. Add it to the epoxy (it wont be the same color after mixed), and glue some junk plastic together with it. You are looking for: 1:color compatibility-2:glue strength! I didn't color my glue, so I don't know if food coloring will ruin the epoxy. I wouldn't think so, but I am not a chemist! If, like me, the color does not bother you; glue it, sand it,enjoy it! I shaped it with 150 grit. Then smoothed it with 220 grit, and finished it with 320 grit (pay no attention to the 1500 grit I mentioned before!). There are other pics I wanted to post, including the package of the glue! But I got too many pics in my folder and don't know how to delete them! I also agree with drilling a hole at the end of a crack!!! this will work. But since you will be using an epoxy, use whatever you are already using to fill hole also. It does work! GOOD LUCK! I know you can save this ball tray! It is not even hard (functionally, that is. Color match...well?). If food color is a no-go, then maybe paint. But function is NOT going to be a problem! OK, I looked at preview post, not even pics I tried to post! Close enough! I can fix things better than I can work a computer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Oh, buy the way,the VersaChem Plastic Welder #47809; I bought at AUTOZONE for about $5.00.002.jpg I found a few more pics to show just how bad my tray was hurt.007.jpg and009.jpg ! I was the only bidder because the broken tray scared everyone else off!Buy slightly damaged on the cheap! because if you can fix it... YOU DA MAN!

20. The following 7 users say "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

The plastic is fatigued and brittle, that is why it it crazing. If it it possible run a bead of epoxy over each crack from the back side.That will help strengthen the plastic. I have repaired alot of plastic sign faces for many years. On the edges of the hole, I wouldtake a round file and round out the sharp corners to relieve the break.Then use a little acetone on a rag and lightly wipe the rough edges of the break, that softens the plastic and takes the brittleness off the edges. Then epoxy the hole inthe way pachiwall suggested.

22. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

I was thrown out of Top Gear Drunkenclam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks Received

Welcome Aboard

Fantastic colour. I hope you can get it sorted out
    Ian #UKPachinko

Thanks
    Thanks Received

You should probably just suck it up and order a replacement part from the manufacturer.

25. The following user says "Thanks" to Habious

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Thank you very much for your time and excellent explanation. I feel much more confident in my repair task. I will tackle this Friday or Saturday and will update with posts on my progress. I will probably goof around with the compound a little bit to get used to it. Looks like I have some holes to drill and some compound to pour!

Quote Originally Posted by pachiwall View Post
    OK, I've got some pics.Attachment 39736 The dark spots are the epoxy. Since I had pieces missing from the rail (or outside edge for lack of better term), I was concerned about strength. I used 12ga ROMEX household wire for reinforcement. Works great, but probably unnecessary. It would have looked better with only epoxy. 094.jpgI used VersaChem brand "Plastic Welder" Part #47809 (actually an epoxy because you mix equal amount of 2 chemicals to harden like DAMN!). I was going to use JB WELD because I've used it so many times before. But since this was an epoxy specifically for plastic, I gave it a try. I LIKE IT! It claims to be cream color (when wet), but seems to dry kind of translucent tan. If I were you, I would mix some food coloring to try to get close to the color of your tray. Add it to the epoxy (it wont be the same color after mixed), and glue some junk plastic together with it. You are looking for: 1:color compatibility-2:glue strength! I didn't color my glue, so I don't know if food coloring will ruin the epoxy. I wouldn't think so, but I am not a chemist! If, like me, the color does not bother you; glue it, sand it,enjoy it! I shaped it with 150 grit. Then smoothed it with 220 grit, and finished it with 320 grit (pay no attention to the 1500 grit I mentioned before!). There are other pics I wanted to post, including the package of the glue! But I got too many pics in my folder and don't know how to delete them! I also agree with drilling a hole at the end of a crack!!! this will work. But since you will be using an epoxy, use whatever you are already using to fill hole also. It does work! GOOD LUCK! I know you can save this ball tray! It is not even hard (functionally, that is. Color match...well?). If food color is a no-go, then maybe paint. But function is NOT going to be a problem! OK, I looked at preview post, not even pics I tried to post! Close enough! I can fix things better than I can work a computer!

27. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Hightray

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Sorry for the late response, I had fallen ill for a couple of weeks. Terrible flu. But over this weekend I was able to start the repair of my ball tray. I have the plastic part molded in place and I am waiting for it to cure. I ended up using a plastic putty as I chickened out and was afraid of gravity if I used a more liquid compound. I created the piece oversized and with some overlay so that I can later sand it to a finer shape and then polish to attempt to get a shine out of it. I then obtained some yellow paint, some pearlescent mix to put in the paint, and then a sealer/hardener to put on as a final coat. Here is its current state, hopefully I will be able to fine shape and sand during the week.

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

29. The following 4 users say "Thanks" to Hightray

Thanks
    Thanks Received

Is the repair all epoxy / Glue, or whatever; or did you use a filler material as well? What brand of plastic putty, in case it works well and I must have it! Sounds like you will paint the repair when done. Excellent work! You have achieved what many people won't even try!!! Even If not visually appealing, but functional; YOU ARE A WINNER! Most people would have crumbled! You have risen to the top & I can't wait to see the finished results!

31. The following user says "Thanks" to pachiwall

Thanks
    Thanks Received

your first pictures show great possabilities... looking forward to seeing the finished product..

thanks for posting

Thanks
    Thanks Received

It looks like it bonded very well, what type of putty is it.It looks as if it can be sanded down and feather the edges to blend in to the tray,alittle auto body work ,and the paint will hide all the repair work. The pearls in the paint will look great great too.

34. The following user says "Thanks" to yose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast